Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

The New Year's Eve one day online mystery by Merry Mayhem will be posted again this year. She now has the first clue available to get a head start on the project. It has yardage requirements and cutting instructions. For anyone doing it, I'd love to see pictures of what fabrics you chose and your progress!

Like Bonnie Hunter mysteries (if you are familiar with her mysteries), it's free to get the clues, and after New Year's Day the pattern will be available for purchase. Unlike Bonnie Hunter mysteries, Merry Mayhem New Year's Eve mystery patterns are for tops you can complete quickly. If you have the day free, and are able to complete the hourly posted clues, then your top will be completed at the end of the day!

https://merrymayhem.com/onedaymyster...eid=117fc7f440
Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM

Thanks for posting, givio! I tried the Merry Mayhem last year and it was lots of fun, plus a very nice quilt pattern, so I'll plan on taking part.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks for doing it with me! I made one of her mysteries a couple of years ago, and also saved the instructions for a couple of them. For people who don't like mysteries, it's easy to save the instructions after you see the 'reveal' if you like it-- just go to the link at the end of the day Jan. 1 and take them all at the same time.

Today I looked through my fabrics and I think I will go with fall colors. My plaids for Fabrics B and C might not be so good? And my Fabric D is not a pastel. And my medium Fabric E is not a tone-on-tone. That one seems like I'll tweak, and maybe use that fabric for the binding instead.

I like to have the cutting directions early. I generally get a back ache bending over the cutting mat so it's not my favorite part. I have plenty of time to split up the cutting though, so that's great!

Attached Thumbnails fabric-pull.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like fun, givio! Thank you! I'm going to do it.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 AM

I think I've got my fabrics all chosen. I'm so nervous, I think this is the most fabrics I've ever had to pull for a quilt at once. I did last year's Mystery Quilt and it turned out great so I'm optimistic for this year's as well. It's funny because I expected to do bright, wild colors but ending up choosing a focus fabric that's one of the most subdued in my stash lol
Old 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM

Your fabrics look fun and interesting, givio! Too much cutting does my back in, too.

I don't have many longer lengths of fabric in my stash, mostly 1/2 yd. and smaller. Then I remembered a kit I bought for the fabric, not intending to do the pattern, which I wasn't that crazy about, so maybe I can raid that kit for my fabrics! I've printed out the fabric descriptions and cutting directions, which will take me some time to absorb.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:48 AM

I'm going to try and jump in on this too. I like her patterns. Ok....off to pull fabric!
Old 11-30-2020, 11:23 AM

It looks like that kit fabric will work, except for one of the E fabrics, which is supposed to be 3/4 yd. but I only have 1/2 yd., so I will just combine two fabrics for that and hope it works out.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Let's see your fabrics! Talk me into this!
Old 11-30-2020, 04:14 PM

Here are the kit fabrics (Thimbleberries). The second and third blues I would have to use together as E2.

You should definitely join in, sewbizgirl. I will be fun!
Attached Thumbnails img_5755_fotor.jpg