Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 11-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Nice fabrics, Joe'sMom... I have or had most all of those fabrics.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 PM

Joe'smom, Me too, most of my fabrics are small pieces. I like to sew scrappy quilts, so I usually use bits and pieces of this and that. To find chunks of fabric from the start is a challenge for me! I loved that plaid when I had it that you chose. I think I had some of that large print fabric too.

I've measured my choices and a couple of them aren't big enough, but I thought I might just see if I can alter the instructions and go with what I've got. For example, my big print fabric is not enough-- but since the instructions indicate Fabric A is the outside border, I don't see why, if that's the case, that I could not make it smaller than 6 1/2". In that way, I can still keep that choice of fabric. Since the pattern is a medallion, it will be easy to add another border to bring the size up larger again if I want.

SBG, No mailing something to participate, one quick day of sewing, end result is not too big or not too small, it will be easy and fun... what's not to like? :-)

Thanks for coming SusieQOH, vadalia, and Marich52. Post your fabric pictures for us! :-)

Last edited by givio; 11-30-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:24 PM

Having printed out and studied the fabric requirements, they don't look quite so daunting.

I have done the NYD mystery the last three years and have enjoyed it so I will do some snooping through my stash and see what I can come up with and where I need to purchase to fill in.

Watson
Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
SBG, No mailing something to participate, one quick day of sewing, end result is not too big or not too small, it will be easy and fun... what's not to like? :-)
I feel the vortex sucking me in!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 AM

Any thoughts on why we'd be drawing lines on some squares but not others?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Any thoughts on why we'd be drawing lines on some squares but not others?
Seems like some are meant to be HSTs and some just squares.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I started reading the cutting directions (clue 1?) and it said for fabric A to cut FOUR 6½” by LENGTH of Fabric Strips. Length of fabric? The requirements show 1.5 yards are needed for fabric A, so we are to cut 4 strips that are 6.5" by 54"? Can that be right?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:18 AM

umm....I have a box of thimbleberries from years ago....I am doing Bonnie's mystery too....but this is also intriguing. I have printed out the cutting instructions.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I started reading the cutting directions (clue 1?) and it said for fabric A to cut FOUR 6½” by LENGTH of Fabric Strips. Length of fabric? The requirements show 1.5 yards are needed for fabric A, so we are to cut 4 strips that are 6.5" by 54"? Can that be right?
Yep....she says that fabric A will be the border fabric.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Were you questioning that because the quilt is longer than 54"? I wondered about that, too. I concluded that there must be cornerstones in the border. Since my border fabric is a 2 yd. length, I plan on cutting at that length, and I can always re-cut later.