Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM

sewbizgirl, the directions were confusing to me visually, the way she had them all crammed together. Once I transferred them to a word document and added appropriate spacing and capitalization, I found that they made better sense. I love your fabrics!

vadalia, your fabrics look like they will work great.

This is my last year's Merry Mayhem pieces put up on my wall. I had low contrast fabrics, so have included a close-up. I thought it was a fun, clever pattern.
Attached Thumbnails img_4298_fotor.jpg   img_4302_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 PM

Oops, I posted my photos before catching up with the thread and seeing vadalia's comments. Does anyone know how I can remove the photos? There didn't seem to be a way on the edit page.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 PM

No need to remove photos!! :-) The more the merrier!

SBG, do you have a picture of that zigzag MM NYD mystery quilt we made?
Watson, didn't you make that one with us too? I don't have a picture of mine.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vadalia View Post
I don't want to post a pic directly in case someone wants to be spoiler-free, but (if it works correctly) here's a link to the comment from last year's thread where I posted my finished quilt top. Not to toot my own horn, but I think my fabric choices worked really well for that year's pattern, which is why I'm so excited to try again this year!:

Merry Mayhem 2020 New Years' Day Mystery Quilt
That is a GREAT looking quilt! Do you recall the name of the pattern... or mystery number?

My fabric picks are just preliminary. I will be changing one of the green TOTs because they are almost the same value, rather than a medium and a dark. I also think that pale pink pastel sticks out like a sore thumb, but she said "very light pastel".
Old 12-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Joe's mom, editing only works for a short time after you post... like maybe 15 minutes? After that it takes the board moderator to remove them. But why remove them? I enjoyed seeing another example of last year's quilt.

Givio, a zig zag MM quilt is not ringing a bell. Are you sure I made it? Do you have a picture of yours? This is the only MM quilt I have a photo of, as far as I know:

Attached Thumbnails dsc03379-small-.jpg  
Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That is a GREAT looking quilt! Do you recall the name of the pattern... or mystery number?

My fabric picks are just preliminary. I will be changing one of the green TOTs because they are almost the same value, rather than a medium and a dark. I also think that pale pink pastel sticks out like a sore thumb, but she said "very light pastel".
Thank you so much! It was Merry Mayhem Case #143 "Just Around The Corner" This year's fabric instructions were more complex than that one's so I'm crossing my fingers that the end result is anywhere near as positive.

Yeah, the call for the very pale pastel-ish fabric made me a little nervous. Obviously, she's gonna use it for some serious contrasting so it'd be so easy to make a mis-step with it. I do think your pale pink matches enough with the lightest pinks in the Fabric A fruit centers and Fabric C flowers that it shouldn't look out of place, even if it's a subtle matching.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:38 AM

givio....I think this is the zig zag one you mean. My memory isn't what it used to be.
The black one was also a Merry Mayhem from a few years back.

Watson
Attached Thumbnails sample2.jpg   mm1.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I only vaguely remember that zig zag pattern (tho I like it) and it's long gone to charity if I made one. I don't have a picture of it. Givio, did you take a picture of yours? Watson, yours is pretty. Thanks for the pic.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vadalia View Post
Thank you so much! It was Merry Mayhem Case #143 "Just Around The Corner" This year's fabric instructions were more complex than that one's so I'm crossing my fingers that the end result is anywhere near as positive.

Yeah, the call for the very pale pastel-ish fabric made me a little nervous. Obviously, she's gonna use it for some serious contrasting so it'd be so easy to make a mis-step with it. I do think your pale pink matches enough with the lightest pinks in the Fabric A fruit centers and Fabric C flowers that it shouldn't look out of place, even if it's a subtle matching.
Thanks so much for that info, Vadalia. Love that quilt.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 AM

I like reading the instructions on how to pick out fabrics that will work together well in the mystery quilt. This may be the year I don't have a ton of people to cook for on New Year's Day so I may actually get to sew on Jan 1. Silver lining with covid isolation....

Sewbizgirl, you should definitely do this mystery quilt!