Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-02-2020, 09:59 AM

vadalia, She said 'very light pastel' but look at her own picks-- it seems like it's the yellow one. So, I think that it just has to be something with a strong contrast to everything else that you've got, and more light than dark. I'm using browns and rusts, and my 'pastel' is olive green! That's because I'm going more with her picture than with the text. We'll see how that goes. :-)

Yes, Watson, that's it. I don't have a picture of my zigzag quilt because I didn't finish all the steps. I thought the zigzag was too big, so I was adapting it with some other pieces that were smaller and I got sidetracked. It's a UFO.

I have the pattern saved for the star quilt SBG shows us. I like that pattern. Yes, it was a MM mystery.

Last edited by givio; 12-02-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Thanks for posting, givio! I tried the Merry Mayhem last year and it was lots of fun, plus a very nice quilt pattern, so I'll plan on taking part.
same for me..after having participated in a few BH mysteries, I found MerryMayhemto be very rewarding and quick to finish. I made a lap size last year and hope to do the pattern again.

I’m in for this year too!
Old 12-02-2020, 12:10 PM

I got my fabrics washed yesterday. I do plan to cut, but will not draw any lines until those clues come up.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:22 PM

joe'smom, What fabric did you choose? :-) Can you show a picture?
Old 12-02-2020, 05:51 PM

I got my fabrics picked out and I just finished the cutting for clue 1 of Bonnie's quilt. I was thinking of starting the cutting of the merry mayhem but when I read the instruction for cutting I kinda got stumped by all the different size squares needed for fabrics D & E. I am thinking some of those are going to end up as half square triangles and I do have some go dies for various sizes of half square triangles. so...I am kind of on pause for now. I suppose maybe I will just wait and gather my courage before I start cutting them all.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:13 PM

Hi All. I am thinking about participating. It sounds like fun! I'll have to purchase most of the fabric since I don't have much of a stash to raid. Gee whiz... having to buy fabric sounds horrible! 😂
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
joe'smom, What fabric did you choose? :-) Can you show a picture?
My photo is at the bottom of page one. These are the fabrics from the kit that I bought for fabric, not intending to make the pattern. I'm excited I now have something to use them in!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Jump on in, Sharongn! I just joined this group, too. Starting to get excited about it.

I went to MerryMayhem's Etsy shop and bought the download for the "Around the Corner" pattern from last year. The fabrics are easier to pick. They let you buy a second pattern for 50% off, but you can't see the finished quilt. All the patterns are set up as mysteries, no reveal until you buy it. I'm not going to buy a pig in a poke, so to speak. So I just got the one pattern.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Joe'smom, Oh, yeah, I remember now! The Thimbleberries fabric.
I'm debating on using purple for the small amount of required white. I wonder what that would do?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM

I just printed the directions. I see a problem choosing from my stash - I usually only buy a yard of fabric if I don't have a use for it. If I find one I like that's a yard, I may go with it and find a coordinate for the border. I have too much fabric to purchase unless I absolutely have to.