Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

• Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 AM

Default help reading directions

ok....I think I misread the guidance for fabric for E and F. I read that as meaning pick out a medium and dark value for the same color....so I picked out two shades of green for E and two shades of red for F. Now when I am rereading it and looking at the example colors, I am thinking she meant to pick out two different colors one medium and one dark for E and two more different colors for F one medium and one dark. What do you think?
    Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    ok....I think I misread the guidance for fabric for E and F. I read that as meaning pick out a medium and dark value for the same color....so I picked out two shades of green for E and two shades of red for F. Now when I am rereading it and looking at the example colors, I am thinking she meant to pick out two different colors one medium and one dark for E and two more different colors for F one medium and one dark. What do you think?
    I read it the same way you originally did, which I think is correct. E1 and E2 should be a medium and a dark version of the color, and same for F1 and F2. Her example seems to follow this- she's got a light-medium blue and a dark blue, then a medium green and dark green (the greens are a bit confusing because she chose like a yellow-green and then a regular green but I guess that's why she calls it a "color family", it doesn't have to be exactly the same)
    Old 12-03-2020, 08:01 AM

See, this is why I always hedge my bets as to whether my picks are final- so I don't make a liar out of myself. So, I've got a (partially) new set of fabrics I want to use, pics taken with a (slightly) better camera to boot!:

The only thing I'm thinking of switching out is my "white" (the light grey polka dot fabric) I have a medium grey solid that almost perfectly matches the grey background of my A fabric, I'm just worried that will leave my quilt a bit light on light-dark contrast (especially because my accent fabric, the dark brown with blue circles, was supposed to be light-to-medium) Then again, my E1 was supposed to be medium and is more light-medium (or, let's be honest, just light lol)
    Attached Thumbnails fabric-choice-redux.jpg  
    Old 12-03-2020, 10:10 AM
    Power Poster

Uh oh... I'll have to go back and read the fabric info again. So confusing.
    Old 12-03-2020, 06:02 PM

vadalia, in this recent choice, all your fabrics look like blenders to me, that is, basically one color. Maybe you should consider prints with more colors in them for A, B and C because she suggests 'multi-colored.'

Sewingpup, I agree, I think you had the instructions right the first time. E is one color, light and dark of it. F is one color, light and dark of it. They should be different colors.

But-- I'm using rust and brown! They are not very different... but my rust is tending toward orange and my brown is tending toward black, so hopefully different enough.
    Old 12-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on E and F. I went up in the attic (fabric storage area) and hauled down some more thimbleberries....I think I now have enough for a couple of queen sized quilts..Tee Hee....that should be enough to make this mystery...now to decide again which fabrics to use. Going to have to think of something to do with the rest I brought down....not to mention the remainder of the box I left upstairs.
    Old 12-03-2020, 06:18 PM

Okay. I've purchased some fabric. I ended up buying two choices. Lol. I love all the colors and whichever set i don't end up using is okay because I'm sure I'll use them for something else. I went bright. I marked each one with the fabric letter so you can see how my mind works. Lol. The first A i figured would be okay since she wrote that it would be for the border so I'll cut appropriately.

Edit to add: I'll probably use a white for the white. I have enough of that so I don't show it in the pictures. Also, she said not to use directional fabric so I am a bit concerned about the B in the first fabric set. But, if it's a large enough print it might not matter.
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​
    Attached Thumbnails 20201203_172157-1512x2016.jpg   20201203_172108-1512x2016.jpg  

Last edited by Sharongn; 12-03-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 PM

I just read others comments about E and F being a light/medium and dark of the same color, respectively. That means in my second set of fabric i posted i would have to find a light/medium blue instead of the gold color i have. Hmmmm.... Not sure I like removing the gold from the group. I'll have to rework it but I like the gold and the dark blue. Lol. What do y'all think?
    Old 12-03-2020, 08:13 PM

Sharongn, For group 1 I think your directional print is so large it maybe won't matter so much if it ends up on pieces that are cut small. Or, you just have to decide if it's going different directions on larger pieces where you can see it's vertical on some and horizontal on others if that will bother you or not. For group 2 it might be tricky to be satisfied with two completely different colors like the yellow and blue. That's the thing with a mystery-- the pattern might look good in shades of one color but not so good in various colors. Hard to say. Your brights are nice! I'd go with the group 1 choices, they look great.
    Old 12-03-2020, 08:37 PM

givio, thank you for your input! I can see what you're talking about, and I was definitely worried the C fabric wouldn't "pop" enough as an accent fabric. Unfortunately, if I changed that out I'd have to take my E1 out too (you can't see from the pic but the circles in C are the exact same color as the light blue in E1 and that blue looks out of place without the C fabric's blue) I'll have to go back and compare against my first fabric pick pics again, to see if I should go back (or if there are other substitutions I can make) Thanks again for the recommendation!

Sharongn, those fabrics are gorgeous!! Such a tough decision for the second group between the gold and blue, both are so pretty. I'd say probably the blue, only because the directions specifically say the E "color family" should coordinate with the background of the A fabric and I think the blue does that a little better.