Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Hello, I want to do this too. I picked all my fabrics but I will not start until i see part or all of the mystery on New Year's Day so i can decide if I want to change my fabrics.
The top fabric is A, and the bottom row is B through G.
Shazzi

Attached Thumbnails merry-mayhem.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 PM

joe'smom, I think I'll follow your lead and just make sure my fabric's pattern is small or cohesive enough it won't matter lol We could probably message her on the facebook page but I imagine she's probably drowning in people doing exactly that right now!

ibex94, you make a good point about complimentary colors/fabric and the color wheel. It would make sense, since it's supposed to be an accent fabric, as using the complimentary color would really make it "pop." I like this interpretation and I think it makes sense given how the directions are written.

givio, thanks I've been trying to use the example picture as much as possible to put the directions in context but I feel like we get such a small glimpse of the fabric that we're missing a lot

Sharongn, I spent waaaaay too much time trying to figure out what fabric she used for Fabric A of her example and if the parts of the pattern we can't see would give more context to the directions/her other fabric choices. I'm about 85% percent sure the fabric is Kaffe Fassett Coleus Turquoise (it's 100% from the Kaffe Fassett Coleus line because I can see exactly in the pattern where the example picture's image came from, but there appears to be a couple dozen slight color/saturation variations on the fabric line) If it is the Kaffe Fassett Coleus Turquoise fabric, the blue makes more sense. There is a lot of blue in the pattern and I could see how she would consider that the "background" color. Less certain about the C Fabric but that just could be because we can't see all of it either. Orange would be the compliment of blue and I see yellow and rusty red-orange in the example picture, so maybe it is an orange fabric? Or since there are yellows and reds in the A Fabric, it could be basing it off that?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:43 AM

Shazzi, great selection of fabrics!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:06 AM

Givio, thanks for your input on my directional fabric. I've decided to go with it and not sweat it. I like the combo so much, and especially love that particular fabric, so I'm not going to even attempt to replace it. I've spent far too much time choosing fabric as it is.
​​​​​​
Old 12-05-2020, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by vadalia View Post
Sharongn, I spent waaaaay too much time trying to figure out what fabric she used for Fabric A of her example and if the parts of the pattern we can't see would give more context to the directions/her other fabric choices. I'm about 85% percent sure the fabric is Kaffe Fassett Coleus Turquoise (it's 100% from the Kaffe Fassett Coleus line because I can see exactly in the pattern where the example picture's image came from, but there appears to be a couple dozen slight color/saturation variations on the fabric line) If it is the Kaffe Fassett Coleus Turquoise fabric, the blue makes more sense. There is a lot of blue in the pattern and I could see how she would consider that the "background" color. Less certain about the C Fabric but that just could be because we can't see all of it either. Orange would be the compliment of blue and I see yellow and rusty red-orange in the example picture, so maybe it is an orange fabric? Or since there are yellows and reds in the A Fabric, it could be basing it off that?
Vadalia, while looking for fabrics i did see some Kaffe Coleus fabric but nothing I could see matched her particular fabric. Out of curiosity I'm going to look it up by name and see if I can find an example. It makes sense there is more blue than her pic shows, considering her blue choice. This also helps me understand choosing a "background" on a multicolored fabric when there isn't a discernable background color. I looked at her pic again and see what you mean about the red-orange color. Makes sense. I feel better about my choice of C since it does contain a green, which is a complementary color to my reddish orange in A. Thanks for your thoughts on this. It's been helpful!
Old 12-05-2020, 06:43 AM

shannizy, Welcome to Quilting Board! What an amazing first post you have made! :-) I think your fabrics are spot on for the mystery. I can see why you want to wait to see what the pattern would be as your fabrics are a real treat. You won't want to 'waste' them on a pattern you are not crazy about.

SBG, you know you make donation quilts. That's all I'll say about your last whimpey post. lololololllllllllll
Old 12-05-2020, 06:48 AM

To be honest, I'm not keen on mystery quilts where you don't know if you will like the pattern and you don't know if you will like the fabrics you chose for the pattern. I want to do this mystery basically for the camaraderie, so I very much appreciate you all joining this thread and chatting with me. Thank you! I hope more will come, and plan a busy New Year's Day with us this year!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:03 AM

I just decide....to pick fabrics that look good together from a distance and also have enough contrast either by value or color so I can tell them apart if they end up next to each other......I am going with a larger print for A and am using that as my focus fabric and then using smaller print or tone on tone for the rest of the fabrics, I am basing that decision on the size of the pieces she is having us cut for each fabric. I am using 30 plus year I think thimbleberries fabrics so....I haven't lost that much if it doesn't turn out. I am doing this...cuz I think it will be fun and what else to do on New Year's day when you are a singleton?
Old 12-05-2020, 09:33 AM

I’m intrigued with this mystery. Sounds like fun....not sure what my New Years Day will be like but I should be able to squeeze in some sewing and chatting with you all.. I have had this Fabric A for quite awhile...I have more then is needed so this is just a possibility in case I want to save it for a bigger quilt project... still swimming around in my stash for another option...

Attached Thumbnails 818900b6-6ace-4fb7-80c1-ec71a1aeda07.jpeg  
Old 12-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Shazziny, welcome and what great fabrics you have to use! I love the blue poppies on the bottom right! May I say one thing tho? Your second fabric from the left is going to blend in with your fabric A. They are almost identical in color, scale and design. They will look like the same fabric.