Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-06-2020, 03:51 PM

IrishRose, a multicolor bright on black should have lots of choices for complimentary blender fabrics, sounds fun!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:51 PM

The background isn't black - it's deep teal. The stained glass leading is black. C and D look to be too close in color, but it doesn't look like they will be sewn together, so I'm hoping for the best. I have reservations about the geometric (B), but the colors are good so....
Excuse the cardboard. I got a new carpet shampooer and one of the cats claimed the box.
nyd-colors.jpg
Old 12-06-2020, 07:04 PM

Ladies, I've gone feral! I was so preoccupied by not having the perfect Fabric C for that previous group of fabrics, I've completely started over from scratch. I guess some fabrics I'm willing to risk sacrificing to the Gods of Mystery Quilting and some I'm not LOL

I've now chosen fabrics I'm a little less attached to (two I've used in previous quilts already, one I just thought I'd be using for a backing someday, and one I've got an identical fabric of in a color scheme I like better) I'm a little out of my comfort zone with these picks but I think that's part of the fun of Mystery Quilting. I tend to like things a little too matchy-matchy (for instance, ALL of my previous fabrics had either a circle or medallion or polka dot element) so I've pushed myself with these new ones. Each fabric has at least one matching fabric for either style or color scheme and I like the effect they give as a whole, but they're not as matchy-matchy as I'd normally go for. They also don't follow the rules as closely as I was trying to previously, which actually takes some of the pressure off, because I won't be as disappointed with a "failed" outcome with these fabrics.

I'll post a pic if I can find my camera. Feelin' good, living life!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:07 PM

Irishrose2, those are beautiful fabrics and colors. I especially love your Fabric B! I'm always on board for a rainbow-y fabric!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:23 PM

I found B at a thrift store - several yards, but chopped up. It was like $.50. It's slightly thin, but I did a burn test and it's cotton. It made cute masks. Love the brightness and the largest cut will be half a 4 1/2" HST, so I think it will work.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Irishrose, what gorgeous tonals you have to play with.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:00 PM

I’m still messing around in my stash but I have a question.... is it OK to mix regular cotton with Batiks? I have never done that...I’m not a fan of batik’s but have some that would blend with what I’m playing with. I’m also considering ripping into a a “kit” that was given to me and I’m not a fan of the pattern....but when I looked at the fabric I think it would be perfect for this project. Anyone ever disassemble a kit and use fabric for something other than the kit pattern? I feel guilty!! Lol..
Old 12-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

I made a pretty Winding Ways wall quilt with a kit for a shoulder bag!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I’m still messing around in my stash but I have a question.... is it OK to mix regular cotton with Batiks? I have never done that...I’m not a fan of batik’s but have some that would blend with what I’m playing with. I’m also considering ripping into a a “kit” that was given to me and I’m not a fan of the pattern....but when I looked at the fabric I think it would be perfect for this project. Anyone ever disassemble a kit and use fabric for something other than the kit pattern? I feel guilty!! Lol..
I think both are okay! And if I'm remembering correctly, I believe someone else (joe'smom, I think) is also doing this MQ with fabrics she pulled out from a different kit. I say go for it!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I mix batiks with quilting cottons all the time. They are 100% cotton batiks that usually came from a quilt shop. My fabric B for this project is a batik.
I used a kit for a different quilt and it worked out fine. No need to feel guilty if it works!