Decorating for Christmas?

Old 12-09-2020, 05:55 AM

Default Decorating for Christmas?

How much decorating are you doing this year? DH OK with no tree....me too. No little ones coming over since they are in WI and we're in NM. Did make cookies for adult kids.

What are YOU doing? Love to read your responses.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:08 AM

We have a 16 year old, so that affects our decisions. We are doing most, but not quite all of our decorating. We got our usual live Christmas tree during Thanksgiving weekend, which is a week earlier than we get it. (I had read eports about there being possible shortages of trees this year - one factor was more people decorating early to get some needed cheer, and another factor is restrictions at the USA-Canada border.) We still have the tree in the garage, in a bucket of water, and will put it up about a week before Christmas, which is our usual timing.

I am skipping putting up the outdoor lights along the driveway. Now that we hardly ever go out of the house at night, it doesn't seem worth the effort. (Also factoring into that decision is that we live on very quiet street; if we lived on a main street, I would be more inclined to put up the lights for other people to enjoy.)

We have a small number of inside decorations, and I am putting those up. I am keeping an eye on the poinsettia selection at the grocery store and will either buy one there or make a trip the local farm outlet that always a lot of them. (I get a kick out of seeing tons of poinsettias in their green houses every fall.)

On one of my neighborhood walks, I could see one family, with young kids, decorating their Christmas tree about two weeks before Thanksgiving. (Given how symmetrical the tree is, I am guessing that it is an artificial one.)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:08 AM

We put up an artificial tree and lights and ornaments. I decorated the house more than I ever have. Guess I am trying to make the most of it with all that is going on in the world. My DH and I do get to see some of our granddaughters as they live just on the other side of town from us. We went to Tulsa to visit the other 2 grand kiddos at Thanksgiving. We hadn't seen them for 2 years----boy do they grow!!
Old 12-09-2020, 06:24 AM

Most of the outside lights go up, including the flood light lit manger, for the neighbors who walk and go to work. Inside, live tree from Krone's tree farm where the cut the tree you pick with a chain saw. Seems a bit too modern, but Bomke's where you cut the tree with a hand saw "closed for the season due to covid and limited selection." I just trimmed and cleaned 9 oil lights used for ambiance and light in case of power outage. In the Land of Lincoln we occasionally need to read as he did by the light of a fire. Wood ready to for wood burning fire place. Inside also starts with the manger, angels, PEACE blocks and a few other decs. With only the slight chance of 2 adult kids visiting, the 20 cloth, handcrafted elves will shelter in place...safely waiting for the 4th grandchild promised us on May Day. Candles, both wax n wick and battery lit, provide the needed atmosphere to craft gifts, wrap and write Christmas cards.

While we are all grieving the limits imposed on us by this horrible pandemic, we are trying to focus on the gift of the Baby Jesus, the Peace we pray for every year, and the Hope the new year will bring. Whether together or apart, there is still love and hope amongst our family, friends and neighbors.

Thank you Julienm1 for starting this thread. Have a safe holiday season to all my quilting friends.
pat
Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I put up a tree and the grands decorate it. We will do that next week. I decorated the front porch. I have a large nativity set I will set on the foyer table. Snow globes around the house. That's all I do now. We use to decorate the yard and most of the house when I our kids were here but now they have their own houses to decorate so we gave them most of it. My neighbor in front of us has big trees with lights in all the front windows, his porch, and by his garage. Most of the homes in the neighborhood have porch decorations out now.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Not much decorating here. All our Grands are over 18 - 33. 2 local Great Grands are still babies.

Next year may be different.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:51 AM

I did the no tree one year and I felt we didn't have Christmas that year. It was like the year the hold family went on a vacation.
So now I have a little tree about 2 ft. tall that is decorated and I keep it in the closet except at Christmas, I get it out and sat it on the bar in the den. That is all the decoration inside that I am doing.
Since we live in an area that is promoted as having one of the best drive thru Christmas lights in TX, we have to do a little bit outside. We aren't putting all the lights on the house or trees this year, just a few big lighted things like the angel, tree with lighted boxes, etc.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I love to decorate for the holidays. We have a tree, mantle, assorted arrangements all over and outside lights. I live on a cul-de-sac and we all decorate. I love seeing all the lights.
We always get a live tree. I also have a small one in the kitchen with antique ornaments that Mookie knocked over the other day. If he wasn't so cute I'd clobber him haha.

I made a tree skirt about a hundred years ago that my husband is so attached to. I may quilt it after Christmas. It's cute but quilting would enhance it I think. I like the fabrics though. All those calicos from way back.

This year I got a wreath for the outside door with lights and a timer. I love it!!!
I have a collection of music boxes that play different carols. Christmas is a really sentimental time for me. So many memories.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 12-09-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:05 AM

I am putting up my 4ft Teddy Bear Tree, the Christmas stockings and the wreath on front door. We will not be having a "regular Christmas" get together. We are thinking about just exchanging the gifts in garage, let the grandsons run around outside (weather permitting) and then everyone heading for their homes. No Christmas village or other decorations will be going up this year.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:55 AM

My husband put up some outside decorations. We already had a little Christmas with our daughter - we drove out to CO for Thanksgiving and then did a little Christmas too. So I’m not really feeling like we need to put up a tree or decorate here in the house. The past few years I haven’t had a lot of Christmas spirit.