Decorating for Christmas?

Old 12-09-2020, 06:09 PM

we don't usually do much outside--but I did get a wreath on the door. And got my winter silk flowers in their pots inside. We are putting up or artificial tree (we finally went to one 5 yrs ago after going out to cut one down when kids still here) tomorrow. I'll probably hang the stockings too, but otherwise I don't plan to put up the rest of the inside stuff. Last year after take down I sorted through the stuff that I'd accumulated for years and gave the kids the things that they each wanted and gave other stuff to the local thrift shop and just kept the stuff that I really liked. I used to decorate every inch of the house! I also gave the kids both bed size Christmas quilts, although I kept the 3 Christmas/winter wall hangings and did get those put up. So we plan to have Christmas decoration "light" this year since grandkids won't be here. We do hope our daughter and SIL will be able to come out and have dinner and visit. And I plan to make the 7 hr drive round trip next weekend to take presents to son's family. Anxious to see them but we just can't risk having them here at our house for 3-4 days at Christmas this year. But I really do think that at least my husband may be able to get a vaccine by mid-Feb. from what the news is saying and I've looked and there are some AirBnB listings close to us and I may book one for a weekend in mid-Feb for DS's family to visit just in case we both don't have vaccines yet!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:31 PM

I went all out! I love the look of Christmas!

Last edited by Teen; 12-09-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'll be doing absolutely nothing. No tree, no decorations, no lights, as usual. I used to decorate when the kids were at home, and especially love to look at the lights on the tree, but it's a lot of work to haul everything out of boxes in the garage, and then put everything back in just a few weeks, not to mention trying to find a decent tree for a reasonable price in SoCal during a pandemic under stay-at-home orders. (Getting the tree was so much easier when I lived in Oregon, and in Canada we just went outside and cut one down.) I will probably make some gingersnaps, my favorite cookie, but maybe not because those COVID pounds are starting to appear.

Edited to say - I did put my Christmas log cabin quilt on a guest bed yesterday. Does that count?
Dunster, that quilt is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Love that quilt, Dunster! I hope to have a seasonal quilt together one of these years, lol! For now the house has 3 cats, and no tree. It's safest that way, they all have the tendency to want to 'redecorate' with their own ideas. I did a few seasonal things for fall, and it just felt like time to change things out, so I put out some basic Christmas decor. I made a few new throw pillowcases, and I have a garland up on the wall that gets decorated like a tree -much safer- and it feels nice to have a little color and cheer out. I'm debating the whole baking thing...there's only 2 of us in the house, and flour is getting flaky to find. Maybe I'll do a traditional walnut roll/poppy seed roll, and share with the girlfriend who also had those around for the holidays in her childhood home. It would be nice to share that as a gift!
Old 12-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Reading all these posts reminds me...One son in HS and other had a job at Hobby Lobby. Time to decorate the tree. Told them if they wanted presents under the tree, had to help me with decorating it. Told them they had to put 35 ornaments each on the tree but NOT IN ONE PLACE. They really did a pretty good job and they had gifts under the tree. Of course when DH came home he add a lot more ornaments.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:16 PM

DH and I decorated all the same as usual. Christmas lights is DH's favorite part of Christmas. Tree is up, house is decorated, lights are on the window. We figure, if we're going to be home more than usual due to Covid, we want to enjoy the surrounding's.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:27 AM

Susieqoh, clobber is a word from Ohio, I remember. We put a large tree up and My daughter who was here for Thanksgiving and I decorated it. My husband put lights on house outside. I need to put some more of my other items up.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:57 AM

This will be the first time in 51 years that I am not decorating. If I get to feeling better I may put up a pre-lit tree and call it a day. No grand kids this year because of COVID and me just getting out of the hospital I am more than a bit weak yet. This is my second day back here and at that very slowly. There will be stockings for everyone as I am making them. I thought I would have them all done by now but hospital stay got in the way of that. I hope to get back to my sewing tomorrow, but time will tell on that
Old 12-11-2020, 03:19 PM

We don't do outside lights. I've done the tree, mantle, hearth, dining room, front hall, powder room and wrapped the bannister. I like the way the house looks all decorated. I haven't finished my tree quilt yet though and still have a stocking to make as a gift.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Susieqoh, clobber is a word from Ohio, I remember. We put a large tree up and My daughter who was here for Thanksgiving and I decorated it. My husband put lights on house outside. I need to put some more of my other items up.
Suzanne- it took me a minute to figure out what you were referring to. Ha!!! We used the word "clobber" in NY too.
Mookie didn't get "clobbered" but only because he's so cute. lol
He settled down after a couple of days.