UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 05-08-2021, 06:33 PM

Dedamac...Congrats on your treatments finishing! Love the bright colors in your happy little quilt!

I'm working on getting my baskets together. Took me a bit to arrange the colors on the design wall. Now to sew it together on the diagonal. I didn't realized until I had them all arranged, that I hadn't squared the blocks up yet...so I have to do that as I sew the diagonal rows which will slow me down. I don't want to mix them up again!!! It will probably take me several days interspersed with other things...
Old 05-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Three very nice mystery quilts, Dede and WMUT! Kitty likes them too!

Heavens don't get your blocks mixed up Kristi! Looking forward to seeing the basket quilt.

Meanwhile I finished a little mini. It went into UFO land because I couldn't find the binding I had made for it...I gave up looking and made some new; fortunately still had fabric to match. Will try to get photos before I forget! Going to try to find fabric to finish up a couple more mini UFO's. Need borders, backing and binding...might use a quarter of a yard of fabric ..getting rid of stash an inch at a time!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:25 AM

Default May Finish!

Hey all, I have a UFO finish for May. It's an old quilt, one that I made in 2016 and had used Elmers school glue to hold binding in place. I washed it to get the school glue out and didn't like the way it crinkled up in places due to not enough quilting. So I decided I was going to un quilt it (it was lightly quilted so probably not difficult), take it apart and add new batting etc...... it has sat on the UFO pile for 5 years while I dithered about it. Yesterday I decided to just add more quilting instead of un quilting, re-batting, etc. Today I finished quilting it. It looks a lot better and while I'm not as happy with it as I was before it was washed, I can live with it now and it doesn't look saggy. It is officially off the UFO pile and I've hung it over the mantle in our tv room as a reminder that sometimes a simple solution is just fine. I don't have a picture with the additional quilting, but Here's a picture of it from 2016 before it was washed. After washing the colored panels all were saggy as was the middle sashing, those are the areas that I went back in and added more quilting using thread that blends in and doesn't show. Anyway. It's done and I can't believe I let it sit for so long in the UFO pile.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails img_0814.jpg  
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 AM

Great finish, Rob! The idea of unquilting would be daunting to me and simply overquilting has given you a result that you like.

And congratulations on adding to the UFO count for May! Thank you.

I have so many current projects going on that my work on UFO quilts has slowed way down - I may not get a single one finished this month.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:21 PM

Rob: Congratulations on your finish! Great idea to hang it where you can see it and use it for motivation.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM

I close to getting 2 ufo tops put on my quilting machine. Ones a blue and wine blender fabric I won from a quilt raffle 5-10 years ago. It took me several months to fine a coordinating border and backing fabric. So this is a weekend job. The other top is a raggedy Ann throw for my grand niece. I’m pushing to get them done by the end of the month.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:18 PM

happylab: Great progress getting 2 UFOs close to the finish line.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I haven’t taken pictures but I finished the quilting/ binding on my “ Roundabout “ quilt ( picture is before it was quilted) I am loading up the next one on the stack. Between myself and my son I have 14 tops to get quilted and bound so I’m concentrating on those and not working on other things- except my flannel embroidery project which is my ( travel/hand) project. We are leaving the end of this week for vacation and I will be taking that one with me- it is a ufo I started at least 8 years ago- maybe I will make some headway. My room is fairly cleaned and organized so I am feeling like I can continue to knock things off that ufo list- I gave up on the ‘list’ and just put them all in a stack- taking them as they come- not worrying about any specific order.
the photos are the ( unfinished “ Roundabout “ quilt and 1 block of my flannel hand project. I think I have about 9 blocks finished and 4 or 5 border strips.
Attached Thumbnails afa4e456-4b91-4deb-9679-227085efe36d.jpeg   1b55bca4-fffb-4145-b8ac-053d75bc18a9.jpeg  
Old 05-23-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the photos are the ( unfinished “ Roundabout “ quilt and 1 block of my flannel hand project.
Very pretty, both of them! I'll bet that flannel applique is going to be gorgeous!
Old 05-23-2021, 05:17 PM

ckcowl: Very pretty! I hope you make lots of progress on your flannel project.