Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 03-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Sewing used to be my son's bedroom. Miss him but now I have a sewing room...lol. Closet never had a door on it...don't go there. Son moved out. DH took over the closet. Seasonal clothes, shoe boxes of shoes he never wore. Drum roll....he took all that stuff to Goodwill today so now I have storage for MY stuff. Plan to work in here for two hours tonight Just gonna shove plastic containers into the "closet". Think I need some shelving...have to think this thru but I'm so excited. Maybe get some of the containers in the fabric room in here. So many options.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:50 PM

oksewglad: Your comment made me wonder who took care of the farm books when I was growing up. I know my DMIL did the record keeping until my sister-in-law moved on the farm. It was a lot of work.

Teen: You accomplished a lot before that storm moved in. I hope you didn’t have any damage.

thepolyparrot: Whew! I’m sure you are breathing a sigh of relief after you finished going through that tub.

Julienm1: Keep up the good work of using the scraps. Wahoo to your DH parting with some of his things and your new usable space.

jmoore: I’m sad to hear your vertigo hasn’t stopped. 😢

Rob: Did you get your goals accomplished today?

I’m not sure if this falls under organizing but here it is anyways, 🙂 One of my church quilting friends had a trunk load of flat and fitted sheets in her car today. We use them for backings on our quilts. Before my mind had a chance to say take a few fitted sheets home to wash and ‘make flat’, my mouth said I will take all of the fitted sheets home and work on them since I won’t be there next week. They did ask if I was sure and my mind still didn’t tell me to stop. Geeesh! Lol! I washed some really bad smelling ones and another load. So now I need to make them flat by cutting off the boxed ends, using the good fabric between the boxes, sew on new corners, and make the tops come out around 70” by 80”. I will need to keep myself organized and do one sheet and put away the fabric I pulled to use on the corners before I start on the next sheet. The other fitted sheets will patiently wait their turn in the garage. Wish me luck!
Old 03-23-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Before my mind had a chance to say take a few fitted sheets home to wash and ‘make flat’, my mouth said I will take all of the fitted sheets home and work on them since I won’t be there next week.
LOL! The way you phrased that! LOL! Your mouth got out there and stepped up!

I washed some really bad smelling ones and another load. So now I need to make them flat by cutting off the boxed ends, using the good fabric between the boxes, sew on new corners, and make the tops come out around 70” by 80”. I will need to keep myself organized and do one sheet and put away the fabric I pulled to use on the corners before I start on the next sheet.
Ohmigosh, what a lot of work! Good for you, even getting started on such a daunting task! Hope you'll just fly through it!

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2021, 04:36 AM

Connie- Good Luck! LOL, but also , oops, sorry to hear that your mouth got ahead of your mind- It happens to the best of us.
And, yes, I did accomplish my goal of getting all the clothing moved out of the metal cabinet- I did this by refolding everything in the bottom dresser drawer so I could fit the other stuff in on top- not ideal, since I didn’t actually get rid of anything, but it works for now and I got most of the stuff out of the temporary holding box that was sitting on the floor in my quilting studio.

next up is to go through the under-bed storage boxes. I know there are some finished quilts and also some UFOs in them... not sure what else they may contain. Also, I think there are several quilts stacked on top of the wardrobe... I may wait on this until later this week as I really want to finish quilting my March colorblock quilt.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-24-2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:08 AM

Such a busy girl yesterday. Finished snowballing all those blocks. Press, trimmed and ready for the next step.
Closest in the sewing room now has "what was I thinking" tops hanging that will be perfect for backs. Containers filled with treasures are in each corner so I can get to them.
Found a quilt for PL that needed more quilting. Finished that this morning. Found another one that needs a backing.
Still have lots to move around but will do that later.
Have to admit it was nice to walk in here this morning and see it more organized that it has been for a long time.
Next projects: move two containers into the closet. Continue to fuse batting scraps. Work in fabric room...another HUGE disaster.
Time for coffee!!
Old 03-24-2021, 05:33 AM

Retiredteacher09- I did the same thing with sheets. I would buy them from yard sales and estate sales. That was a couple of years ago. Got them all washed and folded. Still trying to use them up. What in the world was I thinking. Don’t do that anymore. Lol
Old 03-24-2021, 05:43 AM

I am organizing my Accuquilt dies today. I have a cart that I put them all on but it still requires a bit more organization. So I will be fixing up these today. I have over 50 dies and organization is so necessary to finding exactly what you want when you are ready for it.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:57 AM

wow...lots of busy folks. Keep up the great work! I need the push! Now that I have just replaced two of my computerized machines with two new ones. (A bernina 590 and a Viking Topaz 40) yep, what was I thinking, I need to sort though everything and figure out some method of keeping the accessories like feet separated and labeled for each machine. Some I have cases for so that should give me a start....but other things do not and then their is the sewing cabinet inserts, cords, feet, embroidery arms, etc. I did get a start by tossing out the storage boxes for the machines I no longer have. Oh, and I need to de-junk the rest of the house to make room for the sewing stuff. Yikes. I live in the family home where 6 people used to live an their was more room! The house shrunk. Nobody told me just how much room quilting takes.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 AM

The house shrunk?
Had to laugh. When we got married I did a lot of cross stitch and DH thought...hmmm. not a lot o stuff. Ok.

Fast forward 2 decades and no more cross stitch. Tired eyes don't like 18 count or smaller fabric. But quilting! Much easier on the eyes. However, my supplies do NOT fit in one dresser drawer!
Old 03-24-2021, 05:27 PM

Rob: Sounds like you are on a roll with going through things,

Julienm1: I have sewn a few ‘what was I thinking tops’. My quilt fabric definitely doesn’t fit in one dresser drawer, either.

Jshep: Sometimes we just do things. Funny how our minds work at times.

juliasb: How are you organizing your dies? I bought most of mine as individuals over the years and have them sorted by squares, HSTs, etc. Within those groupings, I sort them by ascending order number.

sewingpup: LOL to your house shrinking. Mine has done that also.