Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How thick a Thread can a Husqvarna Viking handle? >

How thick a Thread can a Husqvarna Viking handle?

How thick a Thread can a Husqvarna Viking handle?

Old 01-06-2021, 01:51 PM

Default How thick a Thread can a Husqvarna Viking handle?

I might buy a Husqvarna Viking machine of class 19, 20, 21 or the 2000 series og 6000 series. They all got a low gear, a free arm and a rotating hook, and I like that.

But I get conflicting information on how big a tread these machines can handle. Some say OK with Tex 70 or Tex 80. Others say max Tex 46. When I look for information, all these machines seems to use the same hook and shuttle system. Do they?

I hope to be able to sew a Tex 70 or perhaps a Tex 92 thread. Have you got that kind of experience with these machines?
Old 01-06-2021, 03:13 PM

No idea about the Viking machines but any domestic machine as far as i am aware of will cope with a max. TEX70 (about 14wt.). I can confirm that works fine on the Singer 15-91 if i use the other bobbin case that has been pre-set for the heavier thread. This is what i'll use for Heavy Canvas projects

ps: personally haven't tried the TEX90
Old 01-06-2021, 03:14 PM

Some of the old machines was made to take larger needle size than #18, the limit of most modern sewing machines. I have found Schmetz in 19, and Chinese made needles can be found in upto size #22. The Cinese needles aren't as finely polished as the regular brands, so I only use them in the difficult to find sizes. They work fine in my Singer 201 and my Elna Supermatic with thicker threads. I can't remember for sure with the old green Husqvarnas like 19, 20 and 21, I think they can too, but you have to check it.

I guess the limit for these machines is about the equivalent of top stitch thread used on jeans. I can use Gütermann top stitch thread on my 201 as well as the extra strength thread. It is mostly about getting tension right and a large enough needle. You have to fuzz a bit with the bobbin tension, do drop tests. Using needle size #18, most machines do a good job with light fabric, but layers of denser fabric can be a challenge on the upper tension (you sort of never have enough). Upping the needle size usually sort out the problem, it helps the thread going through the fabric.

I'm not good with thread weight numbers, but use a bit of the mentioned top stitch thread. I don't think the later 2000 series can take needle size above 18 (110). My Bernina has a too small hole in the throat plate to use larger than 18. I think my Bernina might be able to handle top stitch thread if I bought needles with extra lage eye and the bobbin case with gold tension spring, but so far I haven't experimented or spent money on it. As mentioned, it is mostly with layers of slightly heavier fabric you get into trouble.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-06-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:50 PM

It might not be clear from my post, but my Supermatic freearm takes Gütermann top stitch thread too and sews through anything that fits under the presser foot. That is why I think the 19 and 21 can too, since they are strong and fast machines compared to any out there. Gütermann has an equivalent larger cone of their top stitch thread, but it's called something else.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your response. I hope some more will have actual experience with one of the these machines.

In the manual for the Husqvarna 2000, needle sizes up to 19/120 is seen in a table. The manual for the Husqvarna 21A names needles up to 21/130. So from a needle perspective the machines can take threads up to about Tex 135. But I know more other machines, that will take a large needle but not the corresponding heavier thread.

The Husqvarna machines are special compared to other brands, because they have this oil free shuttle system and special "floating" shuttle hook. That is why I do not like to compare it to what domestic sewing machines normally can handle. From other sources I see different opinions of the max thread size they can handle.

I got a Singer 201k myselves, and with a few modifications I have sewn about 2000 m of Tex 135 with it, and typically needles of size 22/140 was used. So it is not like I think that I think that domestic machines got a special limit at Tex 70.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:57 AM

I have several 6000 series/2000 Husqvarnas ("several" being hoarder talk for more than three); I'm fairly sure that 20 needles aren't a problem, and 22 may be ok, but I'll dig up one of the manuals. There were several rug making accessories designed for those machines, which implies expecting such use.

You can also hand load much thicker thread on the bobbin, and use a regular thread up top. That way, you'd completely bypass the needle eye issue.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:24 PM

I know the 19E and 21A were extra strong models, and many of the 1950s models were made to take thicker thread than later on. They were made to handle the same as the cast iron machines, before polyester thread becamse the standard. Thicker thread and larger needles were expected. As you well know, cotton and linen thread are much thicker for extra strength, and slik thread is not practical for regular cleaning methods. That is why I dared comment on these models. My freearm machine now is a Bernina, so I couldn't check.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:22 AM

I found this video about the class 51 machine. I think it is a flatbed version of the class 21. I guess, that it have got the same shuttle hook system as the class 21 and perhaps the later series 1000 and 2000 machines - do you know that?

But this video states in text, that the machine is able to sew Tex 90 thread without issue.

https://youtu.be/2kAp8OxHjV8
Old 01-14-2021, 06:32 PM

The Husqvarna/Vikings have actually gotten less tough over the years, meaning that all of them through the 2000 might be compared to Volvos (truck or car). A couple of years ago I was trying to find out which 6xxxs were maroon, and which were brown, I stumbled across a blog by a guy using his to make leather armor for reenactments. It's too bad that systemized info about their long production isn't available, at least in English.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:28 PM

The bobbins are the same for 19e, 21, 49, 51, 52 and 6000/2000, which may mean the hooks are similiar.