Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My chronically ill daughters blanket. What fabric is this? >

My chronically ill daughters blanket. What fabric is this?

My chronically ill daughters blanket. What fabric is this?

Old 03-31-2021, 11:41 AM

I would suggest that you take the quilt to a local fabric shop or quilting group or to a local person who does quilting. If someone can look at the actual quilt they can more likely help you identify what kind of material was used in the quilt and how you might be able to obtain another. It is very hard to determine what material was used by just looking at pictures. I think they would be able to guide you in determining how you might make or purchase another to replace what you now have. They would also be able to give you some guidance on batting which might be used. If you are looking for comfort rather than warmth you might want to use something much lighter weight as batting. There may even be a church group nearby who make quilts for missions. They too may be a good place to start. Many of us would love to help you but the miles between us prevent us from doing so. Please keep us informed about your success in finding help.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 PM

Better pictures of the blanket

I can't believe that I have gotten so many responses on this post. I appreciate from the bottom of my heart.

So to expand on what I mean about the fabric feeling "cold"..
My daughter has something called mast cell activation syndrome. She gets anaphylaxis and allergic reactions to nearly everything. Typically fabric gives her heat rashes but this one doesn't. I'm afraid that it's just from years of use, but some characteristics of the fabric : it doesn't wrinkle, doesn't get hot, dog hair doesn't cling to it. It does NOT feel like minky or anything like that. Her dry heels don't get caught on the fabric (her description haha!)

I went to Joanne's and the fabric that felt the most similar was called lyocell I believe? I have no idea what I'm doing or how I'll even go about making it if I find the right fabric, but there is nothing else I can do to provide her physical comfort. So I'll go to the ends of the earth to find this dang blanket or fabric.

The purple gray one no longer exists, and the blue one is headed that way too. Every edge is opened and batting hanging out. It's literally hanging together by threads.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:41 PM

Lyocell is also called Tencel, the cellulose fabric I mentioned earlier, a form of rayon. My favorite summer blouses are rayon challis, because they are so cool and light - I take them out of the dryer and they look as if I've pressed them. They don't get wrinkled or feel sticky in the heat.

The lyocell you found at Joann has been treated with sizing to make it feel crisper than it will feel when it's been laundered.

The batting in the tied quilt appears to be polyester.

The backing fabric appears to be either a poly-cotton or 100% poly broadcloth, but it may be the same fiber as the blocks on the front. If I were making the quilt, I would use the same type of organic synthetic to make both the top and the backing to improve the cooling effect.

A whole cloth quilt is very simple to make compared to a pieced quilt, and you may want to try that first, if the primary object is comfort. Two yards each of front and back will make a quilt approx 55" x 70" - how does that compare to the quilts you are trying to replace?

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 03-31-2021 at 11:44 PM.