Cat flea prevention

Old 05-15-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Cat flea prevention

What do you use for flea prevention on your cats? Vet recommends Revolution, but it is out of my price range with three cats. I used Vectra C last year, but I can't find it in anything but '12 pounds and up' size. Two of my cats are nowhere near 12 pounds and one is only close. One is a six month old kitten, but she's bigger than the adult Tuxedo.
The dog has Vectra D and at her age, I won't make any changes.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Revolution, a dose is good for 3 months and by all means check with different vets. My old vet charged me 120.00 for 3 doses my new favorite vet charges me 45.00 for 3 doses.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:14 PM

Wow. I just looked at what Revolution costs. Phew. I wish I could help you but our beautiful cat died 2 years ago. The last couple of years of her life, we had to resort to a flea med that was given to puppies because the cat meds quit being effective. Blood was shed (mine) trying to get the pill down her throat.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:05 PM

We use Frontline and alternate with Advantage. Here in Florida, if fleas get in your house they stay. We used only Frontline once and it seemed less effective than alternating. Granted, they may be identical to each other but it seems to work. You just have to put it high enough on their neck that they can't lick it off.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

My cats were all inside only cats. No fleas on small dogs or cats in many years. Frontline I think is the ones I use to use right after it came out. Putting on the pets would kill all the fleas in the house in about a week or two as their eggs hatched.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
We use Frontline and alternate with Advantage. Here in Florida, if fleas get in your house they stay.
I've got a foolproof method to rid your house of fleas, but you have to repeat it if you get another infestation, so go ahead and treat the cats in the mean time.

Fleas are attracted to light, so put nightlights in all your outlets that are close to the floor. (Remove the shields). Then place a shallow bowl of water right under each nightlight, and add one drop of any kind of soap (to break the surface water tension) so the fleas will slip under the water and drown. Move big objects out of the way, so that the lights can shine into as much of the room as possible. Make sure it's dark at night, except for the nightlights. Fleas will hop to your lights and jump at them, falling into the water and drowning.

It's actually fun the first couple of days to see how many fleas you get. When you aren't getting any more, you can stop and put your night lights away for next time!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:54 PM

We use Bravecto on our cat but it is not cheap
Old 05-15-2021, 08:10 PM

I just went to the Revolution website and it says it is a monthly dose. If it were three months, then the price would be reasonable. Over $20 a dose at the veterinarian and it's only by prescription so I can't get it anywhere else.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:29 AM

My sister has only indoor kitties but she still has to dose them. I have 1 outdoor kitty and 1 indoor kitty and for whatever reason my outdoor kitty doesn't get fleas. I dose her just the same with Advantage as I was able to find it at our local Bomgaards store. I'll dose the indoor kitty this year too just to be safe. When I lived in Florida my daughter brought her animals with her when she came to live with me and they had fleas terribly. My 2 dogs who get dosed got their fleas as well as my house. My exterminator had to come every month and still I had those pesky fleas from her animals. After a year of trying I tried another brand of flea stuff for my dogs and after 1 month I had no more fleas. My little dog I couldn't put anything on him as he had a skin condition but by putting it on my larger dog that took care of it. Wish I could remember what I used as it was great stuff.

NOTE: I got rid of my daughter's animals as she didn't want to take care of them properly so found them good homes that would.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:02 AM

We had a problem a couple of years ago and vet recommended Cheristin Flea treatment for cats since Advantage and Frontline didn't seem to be working, so far it's working. She also recommended we use 20 Mule Team Borax on rugs and furniture to prevent reinfection. She said it was not harmful to pets or people, sprinkle on and leave for a few hours and vacuum off. It dries out the shell of the flea so it dies and also destroys the shell of the eggs. It worked and was inexpensive.