Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home computer printed fabric sheets >

Home computer printed fabric sheets

Home computer printed fabric sheets

Old 07-15-2021, 04:39 AM

Default Home computer printed fabric sheets

Has anyone used the home printer fabric sheets before? I have a hand made, hand quilted dresden plate quilt that I found at a thrift store and fell in love with it 2 years ago.I paid $2.00 for it. It needed quite a bit of repair but I was up for the challenge. I pull it out and work on hand stitching spots when I have time. I have re-attached all of the petals except for one area. In this one area several of the petals are just missing. I have found very similar fabric for all but 1 of the petals. I have searched and searched for this pink floral, but really have no idea the age of the quilt or fabrics etc. The pink floral is repeated on the tear drop shaped border edging. I love the detain in this quilt despite its torn history. So after searching high and low for some pink floral that is similar (I never realized how many pink floral prints there are--ugh), I was thinking about scanning one of fabric petals that I am missing, and printing it on these computer printer fabric sheets I found on Amazon. Am I crazy to think this would work??
Attached Thumbnails img-1604.jpg   img-1367.jpg   img-1375.jpg   img-1377.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 04:46 AM

The only way to find out is to try it. I think it's a good idea. Let us know how it turned out if you do.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:47 AM

Not sure. i have used the sheet for quilt labels before they are a little stiff. You are doing an excellent job of restoring your quilt. I can see why you fell in love with it. Wishing you well.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:07 AM

A number of years ago I did a lot with computer printing on fabric. It can work very well, you actually don't even need any special fabric, you can just press your fabric to freezer paper or do other things. The prepared fabric sheets are often in the specialty area of paper at your local office store!

A lot (a huge lot) depends on your type of print Laser, Ink, Jet, etc. Follow the recommendations for your brand of printer.

I haven't used them yet myself, but it might be worth some time on Spoonflower to design/print it there.
https://www.spoonflower.com/

Several board members have reported highly about their experiences with the site and then the delivered fabric.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:48 AM

I have used the printer fabrics before. They can be tricky but you must use the recommended printer for the fabric you are getting. The fabric is very stiff and should be washed before you put it into your project. I had one fade out and others that were pretty good. I don't know about daily use quilts or how they would hold up with daily use.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:30 AM

I used the June Tailor printing sheets on my ink jet printer (for quilt labels and for photos) about 5 years ago. They were so stiff, I had to use a thimble and a lot of pressure to hand sew them. I threw away the rest of them.

I later made some labels with a home made product. How they held up, I'm not sure as I gifted the quilts. I found the recipe on the internet. It had fabric softener, washing soda and a couple of other things in it. You could sew it though.

bkay
Old 07-17-2021, 03:44 AM

What a challenge you have given yourself...somewhere up in quilt heaven a sweet old lady is blessing you for fixing her hand sewn quilt.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:33 AM

I think the home printing idea is a reasonable cost alternative, but if you do go to something like Spoonflower, you might might want to try a specialty provider like
https://www.antiquefabric.com/

For a number of years I collected vintage fabric from the thrift stores and estate sales meaning to sell it on ebay to not the general quilting community but to the conservationist/restoration/recreation market. I can tell you, I can't find it now like I could 20 years ago. After all, they aren't making it any more. It's hard to find, but apple blossom prints like your pink are pretty common. I've had that same one or something very similar in my collection. I'd guess somewhere later than 1940 for it, could be up to 60s.

I ended up with a thousand or so yards and I never sold them on ebay -- but I sold them at a "wholesale" prices to a lady who indeed had a business and a booth at quilt shows selling vintage fabrics. Maybe you can ask at your LQS if there is someone similar in your area.

Just as a side note, periodically we get people on site looking for feedsacks and such. While some are genuine, I'm pretty sure at least half of those offers are buyers trying to take advantage of people who might not know the value of what they have. Keep in mind that true feedsacks from the 20-30s are almost 100 years old now! Even the 50s started 70 years ago. Sure, there are still stacks here and there, but after the popularity explosion starting in the 70s there is historical value alone in some.

I think this is a 60s/70s probably sheet of daisies might work for you, the scale is rather large (that's a quarter in the white space). If you are interested, send me a private message, I'd just be looking for postage. It's attached to a rather... interesting... avocado green/gold silky fabric top, measures about 4-5 square and that will go along with it!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6131.jpg  
Old 07-17-2021, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I think the home printing idea is a reasonable cost alternative, but if you do go to something like Spoonflower, you might might want to try a specialty provider like
https://www.antiquefabric.com/

For a number of years I collected vintage fabric from the thrift stores and estate sales meaning to sell it on ebay to not the general quilting community but to the conservationist/restoration/recreation market. I can tell you, I can't find it now like I could 20 years ago. After all, they aren't making it any more. It's hard to find, but apple blossom prints like your pink are pretty common. I've had that same one or something very similar in my collection. I'd guess somewhere later than 1940 for it, could be up to 60s.!

Thank you for the information. I didn't even have a name before your post, of what the fabric might have been. Doing a search for vintage "floral fabrics" is not very specific. I am going to give the at home computer printing a shot and see what happens. I will post results if I get the fabric to print.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:32 PM

I have printed labels on my ink jet printer. They turn out very nice, however, my granddaughter-in-law washes the kids quilts to death and I noticed that the label did fade.

If you will be keeping this quilt (for you), I suggest that you wash it gently with a mild detergent (as little as possible). Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finished project. Yolanda