Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using  UFO for a good cause >

Using UFO for a good cause

Using UFO for a good cause

Old 08-05-2021, 03:57 AM

I did the same thing during the heart of the COVID lockdown. I hunkered down and made a quilt a week using up stash and scraps and UFOs. Then what do you do with all of those quilts? Donate!! Project Linus got lots of quilts last year. They must think I have forgotten them this year. Much less time at the machine as I return to some of my other activities.

Keep re-purposing your UFOs, Julienm1. Those kiddos and teens can use the special hugs and snuggles of your quilts. If you need another place to donate, there are often small organizations that support foster children as they move from foster care to independent adult living. My university has such a group but many are just community orgs. These 18 year olds often enter adulthood with little or nothing of their own beyond clothing. They can use a quilty hug too.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:29 AM

Teach...great idea. I'll look for an outlet here and see what the situation is. Think I'd like to focus on the 18 YOs. TU for the idea.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful idea to use up your UFO’s backs for donation quilts! The only problem I can see is having difficulty quilting over more seams. How did they quilt up?
Old 08-05-2021, 05:06 AM

Tertan..no prb with the quilting. I use a serpentine stitch on my little DSM on the diagonal. All 10 were easy to quilt. Largest I've made is 50x60 but most are 45x55.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:04 AM

Great idea for some of my UFO's. I have a pile sitting right next to me.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:28 AM

What a great idea. I hope others will do the same thing. I don't have any UFOs as I always turn my top into quilts when they are made. I always have a purpose for making my quilts and it prevents me from having to store more quilt items.

Last edited by Fabric Galore; 08-05-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: wrong word