Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-08-2021, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Good for you Susie! I am right behind you, still have about 50 of them I have to square up. I have the Wing Clipper ruler so that really helps me.
SandraP- super! That wing clipper is a great tool. I love her products. I started with the Doug Leko tool but for the HST's I used my die. With the 2 tools I knocked them out fast for me

I think we can all be glad for the newer ways to make geese!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:59 PM

Finally got all of mine finished. This may be more of a sunflower than a rhododendron! All my yellow is from the same sunflower fabric. Guess I will have to see if I like it or not in the finished product.

Attached Thumbnails 1208211947a_resized.jpg  
Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM

Hopefully will get started on Clue 1 sometime this week. I have been sorting fabric and making space. Too many projects going at one. I have been gathering fabric for about a month now for this mystery and today I got 8 more fat quarters of whites on sale. I now have not one but two essential triangles. When I started pulling fabric, I kept thinking that I already had the essential triangle tool but it was nowhere to be found. I know I hadn't used it. But I really thought I had bought it. Oh well, I ordered another one a few weeks before the first clue came out and a few days ago I looked in a chest where I thought I had an unfinished mystery from the year I had my rotator cuff surgery. OH, MY. I had not one, not two, but three unfinished mysteries. Yikes! And I found that essential triangle tool I finally concluded I only had imagined I bought. OK. Now I have to be gentle with my self. The rotator cuff surgery was followed by gallbladder surgery, and then followed by a cancer diagnosis and more surgery and chemo. So, yeah, I was a bit disorganized and forgetful. Hopefull, I will be able to get three mysteries completed this year. Celtic Solstice was the first one I attempted, and I just could not get the triangle in a square and the chevron blocks right and that one will be a pass for now. It looks like I have the bulk of the reveal blocks done on the other two and just need sashing and borders.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:21 AM

Sewingpup -- yes be gentle! Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm doing this stuff for fun... for other reasons too, but fun is important. Of course, my idea of fun is a little off from the rest of the world

I do have all my geese sewn but still have to press the second half which is today's task. For the most part, I'm really happy with how they turned out but a couple are going to have their heads cut off a bit. Given the choices, I'd rather have a non-pointy but big enough unit than a pointy but too small.

On Tuesdays I have my regular work group. On Wednesdays I've been going to one of the other lady's homes and we've been working on stash organizing. We've done really good at clearing the fabric and projects from the downstairs, the upstairs still has a lot to go through. My friend was stressing about the holidays and having to clean for family so we concentrated some more downstairs on a couple of specific tasks. I'm not so good with non-fabric, but I have techniques for sorting and such and we used those. Her husband has stage 4 cancer and we thought last year would be his last Christmas -- there's a lot of things involved in this cleaning and these particular holiday gatherings. We are glad he can have family and grandchildren around him while he is still mobile. Moving stuff around is the easy part and the stairs are cleared, both he and medical personnel have easy access to move through the house for several months now. Dealing with stash/things can be hard for many of us. Add to that aging and other issues and it can be near impossible.

So, yes, let's be gentle to ourselves and those around us as much as we can.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

SandraP- those are fabulous!
Old 12-09-2021, 06:50 AM

Sandra-P, the sunflower fabric looks amazing! Pretty pink shades, too!
Old 12-09-2021, 11:59 AM

SusieQ and Joe'sMom, thank you! I think the sunflowers are really striking and will stand out in the quilt. At first I thought uh-oh when I saw how much they stand out but now I think it will be fun to have them in there.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM

Sandra -- I love the sunflowers and think that having a single yellow will work out just fine.

I will continue to second guess my self and my choices and that solid white... and believe that perfect or not, it's all going to be fine fine fine.

I'm getting all excited at the idea of the next clue dropping -- see you all tomorrow!
Old 12-10-2021, 05:40 AM

And we're off and making sets!

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2021...art-three.html
Old 12-10-2021, 06:33 AM

As I've had time to digest the clue, I knew there would be times when I would doubt/regret my choice on having all one neutral and this is one of those times! It still seems so stark but I'm going to carry on with the solid white, I tried to choose the pinks and yellows to be strong enough to hold up and the garnet certainly will. It may not be scrappy or have texture but it's going to be just fine

At least it will be easy cutting and easy enough to keep the sets together. Don't miss the squares in addition to the triangles.