Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- You may be in for a pleasant surprise with that white.
One reason I didn't like Frolic was it had way too much going on. Made me dizzy!
Old 12-10-2021, 08:20 AM

Iceblossom, with these light/bright colors, I think the white is going to look great.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:33 AM

Iceblossum: I agree with Joe’smon and SusieQOH, your white will look great. Think how many years quilters used a solid neutral.

I have finished my Week 2 clue (only doing about half). I am using the 4 at a time method from Quilt in a Day (cut 2 large squares to make 4 geese). After seeing the price on a trimming ruler at a shop the other day, I made my own using a small ruler and 1/4” masking tape (inch measurements blocked in the attached photo).
Attached Thumbnails img_1340.jpeg   img_1341-2.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2021, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

SuzSLO your blocks are wonderful!
Old 12-10-2021, 10:02 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Dog ears

If the dog ears at the end of the triangle are cut off before connecting it to the half square triangle, what would you think the measurement should be. In other words if both dog ears are cut off of the triangle that you are adding, what is the ending measurement not 4 7/8 inches, I get 4 6/8.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:46 AM

SuzSLO, your yellows are great!

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
If the dog ears at the end of the triangle are cut off before connecting it to the half square triangle, what would you think the measurement should be. In other words if both dog ears are cut off of the triangle that you are adding, what is the ending measurement not 4 7/8 inches, I get 4 6/8.
Why would both dog ears be cut off?
Old 12-10-2021, 10:57 AM

IceBlossom, I'm going with a solid white also, it's my constant instead of aqua. There is so much yardage for this one that I think they will become strings. I like the idea of a solid somewhere.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reassurances. I did visualize this decision as half the quilt being white triangles and I am ok with that as a design choice. Is funny how when I started in the 70s "of course" the background would be a solid white or muslin. Likewise, I have only myself to blame that for the last 5 or so years I've been specifically trying to use up my box of the tone on tones and the other box of very lights.

I am hoping for maybe some string piecing, the limited white on whites I have left along with some of my pale and especially pink on white background could still be incorporated but I had nowhere near the yardage or variety this project calls for.

Terry, I'd have to do some calculations on graph paper and counting on my fingers. I don't think you need to do anything but cut as Bonnie says/shows and then do the same trim on the other side. Back in the day I used to do a lot of "snubbing" off the dog ears as a way to help position the pieces, and then so they didn't stick up as I pressed open.

For this step, I'm going to be doing my cutting large triangles and slapping them on and then trimming. I also often use tape on my rulers, really helps with my vision issues as well as just consistency. Otherwise, I have the clear gridded plastic template material and I'll make a template/tool for the shape I want. You don't want to use this as a cutting guide but you position your ruler against it and use the ruler for the actual cut. Also, you don't want to get them near the iron.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
SuzSLO, your yellows are great!

Why would both dog ears be cut off?
The die I would Ike to use cuts both off.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
That would seem to indicate that the point accounts for 1/8." I wouldn't worry about it; as long as you have the right size HST and the right size wing, you're bound to come out ok.