Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-21-2022, 07:42 AM

Hi everyone, some great finishes and near finishes here. I am seriously considering using only block A with aqua sashing and yellow cornerstones and making a lap quilt. I made my hourglasses from leftover triangles and consequently they were slightly undersized. So now they are a huge pain to get those points to match. Not worth the trouble, I say. I can cut them down and use them another day in another project.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:25 PM

I reported post #762. Here's a pic of the pink top. I will put the rest of the flying geese around and add a 1.5" inner border and a 4.5" outer border. If my math is correct, it will be 88" square when done. The purple one is not quite done yet. I need one more hourglass block and few more sashing strips. Then sew it together. Add the flying geese blocks, inner border and an outer border. I know my outer border will be 3.5" wide. The inner border I'm not sure yet.
Attached Thumbnails 100_1285.jpg   100_1286.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 05:49 AM

Wow, I'm in awe of some of you. I'm still waiting for my couple of inches of white to arrive in the mail to finish up my setting triangles. And now I'm not so much waffling as flipping back and forth over Olfa Green or Purple -- Queenbarbiej, I really appreciate seeing your purple one even if our treatments are a bit different our colors are similar. And notice on Siodach's process pictures how nice that olfa green cutting mat sets off those blocks!

I do have most of the border units connected -- will finish that up today. I like my border units and its felt good to have them moving under my fingers/machine.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:13 AM

Anyone else wishing they made half units? I always get excited and make the entire thing, boy. Queen size is big. I finished the field only the borders to go. Might as well eat the entire elephant. Happy Sewing y'all. Winter finally hit Florida so it should be a happy day inside.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:20 AM

I probably should have done it one step before this one (and I am at just the right spot for the other direction of geese), but I'm going to trim up and stabilize stitch the outer white edge.

To add to my decisions/indecision, remember back between Halloween and Thanksgiving I took solid colors from my back and that I would use in my top to make a keep-me-busy binding! At the time I said some true purples worked their way in...

So shot one is binding in the middle, green on top, purple on bottom.

Shot two is green, cornerstones would be garnet.

Shot three purple, cornerstones most likely would be white but I haven't laid it out yet. Waiting on those setting trianges! The garnet gets muddy as a cornerstone but I don't mind the Butterfly blocks touching the purple.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6289.jpg   100_6290.jpg   100_6291.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 09:00 AM

Queenbarbiej, your quilts look wonderful! I really like what you've done with the sashing on the second quilt!
Old 01-22-2022, 10:42 AM

Normally my son catches my blocks turned around errors and I am just stuck ripping the flimsy up a bit......and yes, twice can happen.....but he missed the one in the quilt I sent his godmother of her Newfoundland dogs. Lol, she thought it was intentional because it looked like the dog was drooling and loved it! I was humiliated but she was thrilled with it and tells everyone how I customized her quilt.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:44 AM

I love seeing all the border options btw. Everyone's quilts look great! I am finishing the Valentine’s quilt flimsy today. Should be back doing the RT quilt soon.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:56 PM

Iceblossom, your geese look great! Pretty fabrics, too.

Queenbarbie, both of your versions are pretty. Very creative.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:12 PM

I have some of my blocks up on my design wall. Just wanted to see how they looked and made one of the corner units and a setting triangle. I think I will be happy with a smaller size quilt. I have more of the B blocks finished just haven't put everything up yet. This really is a fun finish, isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails img_1417.jpg   img_1419.jpg