Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-14-2022, 02:59 PM

SuzSLO: I like the teal circles in the center of block A. I was looking for a way to bring the new color into the blocks in order to make it a bit more cohesive. How are you going to do that? Applique?
Old 01-14-2022, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
SuzSLO: I like the teal circles in the center of block A. I was looking for a way to bring the new color into the blocks in order to make it a bit more cohesive. How are you going to do that? Applique?
If I end up adding aqua circles, I will hand appliqué them. I won’t need very many and I have AppliPops that make doing turned edge circles a breeze. I had a quilt that was a Disappearing Shoo Fly that I thought was pretty dull with blue, tan and neutral fabrics after I finished quilting, so I added red circles and a red binding.
Attached Thumbnails img_1012.jpeg  
Old 01-14-2022, 06:16 PM

Iceblossom Thank you. I read your post and went for a walk with hubby. While walking I started to calm down a bit about the triangles, the on point, and how long all the skinny strips of blue were going to take. I may think the finished product is lovely but fully grasped that I have a long way to go!

So like Sandra P I sat down and made a triangle. I was just going to do one but decided I could make all the ones for facing one way and chip away at the finish by doing a small amount every day or two when I sit down to sew. I don’t like how they flop but as long as they are being cut off it’s OK......and since I don’t care for my garnets I won’t care when I throw out loads of garnet bits!

I experimented with my blue background because if I want to change to aqua now is the time. I think I am happy with the blue. I think of beautiful blue sky’s when I think of rhododendrons so plan to stick with the original plan. I took a couple of pictures......
Attached Thumbnails ececcbb5-9738-4b59-8a7e-2168328eada3.jpeg   997796be-5cbc-4eef-bef7-08baa7e0eff3.jpeg  
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 PM

That looks beautiful, Mumto2!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 PM

Mumto2: Your blocks look lovely with the aqua!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:05 AM

Well, I did the triangles and finally got used to them. Today will be cutting the aqua and seeing how that goes. Has anyone put this together with all the triangles facing the same way? I am not sure I like the higgly piggly look of them going off in different directions.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:08 AM

Am I infected with this quilt? I have already thought of the monarch migration and making this quilt again. Of course, before I have finished the first one. If people really knew how quilters think. I am always asked how I come up with so many patterns. One leads to two which leads to four and so on.

Mumto2, it makes me want to do a blue instead of an aqua also, can't get butterflies off my mind when I look at that block.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:47 AM

Toverly, I want to play with this pattern too! I am seriously envisioning batik or similar butterflies and a solid blue......or perhaps a batik that has the slightest bit of white. I want colorful butterflies maybe yellow.......truly not fond of the garnet. I still love the basic alternating block layout we were all doing before going on point and want to try that. Maybe make a baby quilt. Tweak the flower blocks by adding a coral and something pinkish.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:31 AM

Wow! Look at you guys go. I ended up doing more playing with fabric in the sewing room than actually sewing because I didn't have my extra neutral rectangles cut and I'm a tiny bit short of my white -- like 1-2" is all but that can be a lot in this case.

For years I've used Kona Cottons because of their dye standards but I decided a couple years ago to switch to AMB (American Made Brand) by Clothworks. I'm sure I've gotten it at Joann before but they seem to have reduced brands (and increased the Kona they carry) -- most people don't want or need to choose between 6 different pure whites, but I like to keep consistent. Anyway, more is on order and coming this next week. Here's a video on the product/company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQiAGfH05o

I'm going to play with my blocks and aqua equivalents while I'm waiting, will probably take me that long to decide.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:58 AM

Mumto2, glad to know I'm not the only one planning on maybe doing this again. A baby quilt sounds perfect, that will get it out of my system. LOL.

Heads up to really measure the paper pieced templates. Mine were off. Took a while to figure out how to make them appear to adjust the size. Ended up drafting them. Glad they are easy. Happy Sewing Everyone!