Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-14-2022, 08:43 AM

My brain is working overtime! 🧐 I just went and looked at the directions again and am hoping (begging) someone to post pictures as they construct those triangles. Her first step among many. I am confused and could use some idea this is what it looks like when you attach this piece help. We are going to have a basic normal four patch and attach another square to just one of the squares on two sides. What about the seams? I am missing something here. Even a picture with the fabric where I can see the seams. 😂 My question is the point where we add the garnet squares to the four patch. We are just adding the square to one corner.......so no chain piecing I guess.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:50 AM

Her quilt is beautiful, which is no surprise. Still no sure about my aqua/teal, but I will be able to lay things out and test it later today.

I am making about half the blocks, and need a lot more flying geese (I both underestimated because a border needs closer to 3/4 of the blocks and also made fewer than my initial estimate). But I have exactly the number of Block B and hourglass units I need. Need 1 more Block A.

I think the math for the sashing and skinny border are going to be complicated for any size other than the size of the full quilt. And those paper-pieced units will only fit if you are doing the full quilt. I have run some preliminary estimates and think I will make both the sashing and skinny border a bit wider than suggested, which should make the gees fit for my square quilt without anything other than a minor fudge. I’m happy to share my calculations in a private message, but at this time they are still preliminary.

For those doing a different number of blocks than the full quilt, here is some info from Bonnie’s website with the number of sashings and cornerstones: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010...ing-chart.html

That link does not calculate the number of Block A and Block B when alternating blocks but it does give the total number of blocks. Block A will then be the product of the #of blocks used to determine the setting (that is, a 3 x 3 setting will need 9 Block A), then subtract that number from the total blocks given in the chart to get the number of Block B ( 13 minus 9= 4 Block B). I hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:11 AM

Mumto -- part of what is confusing is the garnet squares will be trimmed off, the triangles will finish with the jagged edge for now and trimmed when assembled..If you've never done that sort of thing before it feels really weird to have the fabric just hanging out into space.

Also, we have to be careful about which way the butterflies go.

When I said I thought about leaving my mis-sewn units alone and hoping for the best -- lol well this would have used them just perfectly! So it goes...

I will start out by making the correct number of white/garnet square combinations. Half of them will be used with toppers of the butterfly blocks -- double checking that I am turning the hourglasses correctly. The other half will be joined to that, and then the remaining square. I think of it as 3-2-1 (3 pieces, 2 pieces, 1 piece). Then I will make the long rectangle/square combo. Half again will be topped with a butterfly and again I will have to check myself to make sure they are going the right way.

But, if I am to get pictures, I need to step away from the computer. I am adequately prepared with enough coffee and loud music.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Lovely quilt but is any one else bugged by the little magenta butterflies seem to be going the wrong way in her layout?
Old 01-14-2022, 09:53 AM

Tartan, I believe she has reversed every other B block so as to have a garnet point meeting each teeny cornerstone. I intend to have mine all going one way; as I am not using the sashing, there is no reason for me to turn them.

I'm thinking 4 x 5 rather than 5 x 6. That will be easier for me to manage and might even fit on my wall.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:13 AM

Here is my test setting, with the setting and corner triangles drawn. I also added some aqua/teal circles to the center of Block A as a way to easier move some of that color beyond the sashing and skinny border.

I’m thinking about doing the garnet edge triangles as QST (except the cornerstones and corners) to avoid the bias edge along the outside of the quilt center. It will be the same size as the hourglass blocks, so I can use the same QST AC die.
Attached Thumbnails img_1385-3.jpeg  
Old 01-14-2022, 11:17 AM

Mumto2 I am right there with you. I just made one and am really bothered by a garnet square hanging there. It seems strange and I am rather flummoxed by it.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:24 AM

SuzSLO, I think your teal looks great!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Lovely quilt but is any one else bugged by the little magenta butterflies seem to be going the wrong way in her layout?

Yes, I wouldn't have minded so much if all the little butterflies went every which way in the block. But, I'll get used to her way.

Also, I can't count. Making more hourglass blocks.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Yes. I'm playing with the idea of having my butterflies all go one direction. This quilt already has a lot going on.

SuzSLO- love your aqua. Good color choice.