Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-17-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hey everyone, the die I have is the right size but the bias will be on the long end. That won't work will it?
Accuquilt sells both the half square triangle dies (long side is on bias) and quarter square triangle dies (long side is on the straight of grain). So to make hour glass units, you need the quarter square die which results in straight of grain being on the outside of the square. Be sure to read both the clues and the die descriptions to make sure you are getting the right sized die to make the finished size block.

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-17-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Thanks,sewingpup- I came to realize it won't work so I'm going to do the strips that Bonnie demonstrates in the instructions. I don't feel like waiting for it to come in the mail. Ugh, all those strips!!
Old 12-17-2021, 03:45 PM

I don't know how much I can give you guys - but my die says half square triangle, 2" assembled square. It is a regular triangle die, that you sew down one side, not across the long middle. I hope that helps, and I hope I did not give anything away.I have not trimmed it yet.
Attached Thumbnails img-0674r.jpg  
Old 12-17-2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I don't know how much I can give you guys - but my die says half square triangle, 2" assembled square. It is a regular triangle die, that you sew down one side, not across the long middle. I hope that helps, and I hope I did not give anything away.I have not trimmed it yet.
When you use a half square triangle die to make an hour glass block, you end up with bias edges on each side of the block. If that is the only way you have to complete the block, you probably will want to stay stitch around each block to keep the bias from stretching.

Your finished block may also be the wrong size. The finished block should be the same size as the squares cut as part of Clue 3.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:12 PM

Yes, it is a good idea to make one sample block, then check carefully with the clue to make sure your unfinished size matches with the unfinished size given in the clue and that your finished size matches the finished size specified. I think Bonnie gives both in most clues. It is easy to get confused when using a method other than the one Bonnie gives. I find it especially important when using the dies because some of dies give the unfinished size and some give the finished size. Now, I do have some very old dies and I do not know if this issue has been eliminated with the newer ones.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Yes, it is a good idea to make one sample block, then check carefully with the clue to make sure your unfinished size matches with the unfinished size given in the clue and that your finished size matches the finished size specified. I think Bonnie gives both in most clues. It is easy to get confused when using a method other than the one Bonnie gives. I find it especially important when using the dies because some of dies give the unfinished size and some give the finished size. Now, I do have some very old dies and I do not know if this issue has been eliminated with the newer ones.
I have used this die for the hourglass shape before. The unfinished size is the exact measurement Bonnie gave. I have had no trouble with these stretching in my prior quilts.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:51 AM

Made the flying geese with QIAD (Quilt In A Day) ruler. No affiliation. It was the class method before the
Acuquilt dies. Later today, I am making my sample of the 1/4 square triangles using the Quarter Triangle Square Up Ruler also a QIAD tool.

Last edited by phatquilts2; 12-18-2021 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:31 AM

JeanieG, I too am using that die and did some sample ones last night and am not having any trouble with them stretching either. Whew! I rechecked this morning to be sure. I think the bias depends on which way you cut your fabric and place it on the die. Your sample picture is so perfect! Love your garnet color.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Oh that's great!!! I spent the evening watching old movies while cutting. Maybe I can use my die afterall !
Thanks everyone.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Carsey View Post
I have never tried the accuquilt. I am checking into it now.
I love my accuquilt! It was a hard sell at first because of the expense, but with arthritis in my hand, neck and shoulders, it has really improved my "joy of quilting".
BTW - love your declaration of faith - I'm also a heart transplant donor!