Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-21-2021, 10:07 AM

As I recall, Bonnie said 'backbone of the quilt' in at least one other mystery. That was with 'On Ringo Lake,' when she said the little nine-patch that was the block center was the backbone.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:46 PM

When I did my first Bonnie Quilt, it was Roll, Roll, Cotton Bole. These Hourglass Blocks remind me of the border we used for this quilt. I thought I would never finish these tiny 4 patches either.
Attached Thumbnails img-0675r.jpg  
Old 12-21-2021, 01:52 PM

I'm still moving super slow and reassuring myself that one good/productive day is all I need... and if it doesn't come, the fabric will still be there. I have a bunch of stuff going on in the background that is taking up most of my available energy and I need to prioritize some sewing time. Anyway, I will be taking advantage of the extra days -- no clue on Friday, next clue will be Monday, 12/27.

Today at Tuesday Group I sliced my Garnet group hand dyes/batiks "hard to tell which side is up"/white combos and pinned them until I ran out of pins which was just slightly more than I needed. I still need to cut a bunch more white squares, that was on goal to be done before group and I think I have enough strips cut but not yet broken them down into squares, much less triangles, much less done any sewing.

I also did some trimming of last week's triangles. I did my cut large and trim down thing so doing the trimming. I double checked a random assortment of the Geese units which I did according to directions and the ones I checked were all within tolerance. I have a ruler the correct width and I put tape across at the size marking so it was quick. I know I have a couple in there that will need a trim but I didn't find them in my random sorting.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:00 PM

Too late to edit -- today at group I was looking at the January edition of Quiltmaker -- the Addicted to Scraps/"Ruby Jubilee" mystery quilt along has begun and is making me want to keep out a lot of my current colors!

Definitely know I won't be working on it in "real time" but I'm going collect the issues...
https://www.quiltingdaily.com/produc...gital-edition/

Old 12-21-2021, 03:01 PM

Iceblossum: That sounds like real progress! The fun part of sewing them together comes next.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

JeanieG- that looks lovely. Any chance you could show us the quilt?
Old 12-21-2021, 08:38 PM

I would love to see the quilt too!

Progress was made today. I now have almost half of the hourglasses made with a majorority of the triangles sewn together. I will need to trim but may leave that for now. I ended up pressing open as seam spinning was really making the fabric fray.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:45 PM

Here is Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll, the 2010 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt! It is one of my favorites!
Attached Thumbnails rrcb.jpg  
Old 12-22-2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Here is Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll, the 2010 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt! It is one of my favorites!
Your quilt is lovely. Especially the pieced border. One thing I like about the Mystery Quilts is that it pushes me to do lots of pieces that add depth to the finished quilt. Even though piecing a Bonniezillion units seems like it will never end, it is so worth it.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

JeanieG- I love it!!!!
Mumto2- great progress!!!

Mine are sewn but I haven't pressed yet. Not sure how I'll do the seams. Maybe open.