Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-04-2021, 04:18 AM

So I came to a determination yesterday that although I could see how a project could work with solids and the wild circle print, I don't know yet how this project is going to work so I'm going to chicken out and use more standard prints on the top. I'm going to use the pink circle fabric for my back and to select my colors. I'm not going to use a lot of solid fabric, but I'll make a vertical stack of bars from the pink/purple solids I pulled to extend the back so I have plenty of room for quilting down. I'll also cut strips of the solids at the same time and make a pieced binding while I have some time before the actual project begins. Starting with a back is not my usual method of quilt construction but we have some time before the project fully begins.

Right now I'm trying to get another quilt quilted before the start of this project. Am hoping to get that quilting down today and tomorrow and be able to switch back to the standard piecing foot and tensions and such. I still need to make the binding for that top and put it on, then the goal is to finish the hand part of the binding and have it mailed before Thanksgiving.

I was able to quilt down both my Frolic and Grassy Creek tops, they were on my to-do list before starting with this project!
Old 11-04-2021, 05:19 AM

SusieQOH and to rely: Thanks for the complement on Grassy Creek. For those who didn’t participate in the Grassy Creek mystery, the colors suggested by BH were fall colors and grey. I made about half the blocks, set them on point, then modified the border a bit.

I’m thinking of doing the full number of blocks this year. The only fabric I really need is the aqua.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:38 AM

I am going to join this mystery this year for sure as long as I have no health issues or surgeries. The pass years I had shoulder surgery on both shoulders. I have the fabric that I need in my scrap bins and stash. However, I cannot quit figure out what "white to barely cream" means.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
SusieQOH and to rely: Thanks for the complement on Grassy Creek. For those who didn’t participate in the Grassy Creek mystery, the colors suggested by BH were fall colors and grey. I made about half the blocks, set them on point, then modified the border a bit.

I’m thinking of doing the full number of blocks this year. The only fabric I really need is the aqua.
I am still sewing my Grassy Creek together.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:07 AM

I’m on the fence. I don’t have garnet in my stash.....zero. Contemplating buying the kit so I don’t use all my pinks and yellows as I actually have something else planned using them. I typically don’t buy yardage greater than two yards so no blue tone large enough so no blue. I really enjoyed doing Good Fortune in real time. Good Fortune was my only Bonnie Hunter quilt experience ever but I learned some techniques that I use all the time and just got the remainder of my extra blocks used up this year when assembling UFO baby quilts.....I finished a bit smaller as I got tired. My Good Fortune is bright and I stuck it in my gifting pile......my kids wanted a quilt to use for an outdoor activity their friends were having at the start of Covid and took that one to sit on....the backing is dark. They use it weekly. They wash it all the time (greater than 25 times) and it still looks great.

My one hesitation is I have many quilts in progress......five waiting to be layered and quilted, another 3 just needing the blocks assembled, and several more kitted out. That said I will probably buy the kit, just trying to decide if I want to drive to pick it up or not. My parents lived near one of the shops for a few years and it might be a fun day trip. I actually stopped by the board and this thread just to see who had the kits this year.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by craft View Post
I am going to join this mystery this year for sure as long as I have no health issues or surgeries. The pass years I had shoulder surgery on both shoulders. I have the fabric that I need in my scrap bins and stash. However, I cannot quit figure out what "white to barely cream" means.
craft, I think it means avoid yellowish and darker neutrals because they won't contrast well with the yellow fabric.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
craft, I think it means avoid yellowish and darker neutrals because they won't contrast well with the yellow fabric.
Joe’s Mom: I think you are right. Usually BH call anything up the color of a paper bag a “neutral” but for this quilt suggests keeping the neutrals much lighter. I have some neutrals that read as light pink and I don’t expect to use them either.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:53 PM

Well I ordered a box kit from Quilted Twins and it appears to have already shipped. I certainly can’t complain about service speed!
Old 11-04-2021, 06:08 PM

I love Quilted Twins, Mumto2. They never disappoint.

Has anyone tried a mystery quilt with using multicolor scraps, not colorway scraps... if that makes sense? As long as lights and darks were the same as Bonnie's it might work. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it though.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:47 PM

NZQuilter Thank you for the recommendation. I am really looking forward to having enough fabric all together and just sewing as the clues come out. No planning for this one. I dream of keeping up but know I will probably fall behind but am looking forward to seeing everyone’s blocks.