Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-03-2021, 02:41 AM

For more than a few years, I have followed these mysteries, but never participated. You all know the reasons. In fact, while being a member here for over 10 years, I haven't even posted since the month I originally joined. But I am viewing my coming retirement in the spring as an excuse to spread my wings as a quilter and get involved.

Let me start by saying that I am not by nature a scrappy quilter. Nor am I comfortable with the whole idea of a mystery quilt. And I was originally going to just pass this one by, as, unlike most of you, I HATE pink, and my pink stash consists of only two pieces smaller than fat quarters. But then Iceblossom posted the link to the Rhododendron Garden. The orange blossoms are what drew me in. So, I guess in am about to venture on my first BH mystery. And if it doesn't get done over the next few months, well, it looks like I already have a jump start on retirement.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
Nor am I comfortable with the whole idea of a mystery quilt.
It sounds like you're in for an exciting adventure!

I was initially leery about doing mystery quilts too because as a broke 30-something, I can't afford a very big stash or to waste a ton of fabric on a project I don't end up liking. That being said, I've really enjoyed all the mystery quilts I've completed (a grand total of 3 lol) I do cheat a tiny bit and try to track down example of previous mystery quilts from that pattern creator, to see whether most of their mystery quilts are to my taste or not. Doesn't guarantee the current one won't be a dude, but I've definitely dodged some bullets that way. If you know you like most Bonnie Hunter patterns, you should be good (maybe just opt for non-scrappy where she mentions it as an option)

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2021, 05:31 AM

Well there was some eyeball rolling at my initial batch of solids plus that wild circle pink when I took them to Tuesday group but my hostess provided me with a couple more pinks and I'm thinking it could actually work. With the yardage requirements showing Neutral about an equal amount as the colors, and the warnings to keep contrast between colors strong, I'd expect the white/pink to be very stark and geometric and able to hold up to that print.

I really have been hoping to use that solids box. I find solids hard to use in scrappy quilts, their calm solidness makes a "hole" in the business of the calicos, but I like the crisp geometric of solids together. I feel that geometry meets with the modern circles pretty well.

Rereading the directions again, I saw this years quilt will be rectangular (yay! my preference) instead of square as it has been for the last two. If I didn't use it in the top and went with prints, I probably would be able to squeak out a back from the pink print, which is why it was bought in the first place. When I'm playing with fabric today I'm going to have to measure the pink...

I'm perfectly happy being Iceblossom, but my birth name was Caroline. I have one of these in my front yard, at the corner of the house just under the bedroom window. it is rare among rhodies that it has a mild scent. Most rhodies have no scent.
https://www.rhododendron.org/descrip...new.asp?ID=440

And for Woodland Creature, I had one of these Centenials in the front corner of my yard but mistreatment from my husband and neighbor killed it off while it was still rather small... I'm glad to see from the second link set of pictures that it wasn't just mine that was sort of a "weedy" shape bush, but it had such glorious blossoms!
https://rhodygarden.org/product/rhod...te-centennial/
http://www.paghat.com/azalea_centennial.html

Old 11-03-2021, 05:52 AM

I'm not officially on board yet, racing to finish a couple more tops first before I decide. I have fabric in my stash that I will use if I join. Thinking of going none scrappy, which is very unlike me, and changing some colors to use what I have. We will see how I go.

I'm enjoying reading this thread and the excitement is contagious!
Old 11-03-2021, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I so agree, NZ! We've had a couple of years of squabbling here (masks etc) and I like that we can all come together on a shared interest. I really like when we all get along!!

Ice- I love your name!! Sweet Caroline da da da!!!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the answer...Valspar paint at Lowe's.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:27 AM

I have completed the initial pull of fabric from my stash using BH’s suggested colors. I found that I am repeating some fabrics from Grassy Creek because I changed my colors on that quilt. Still, my Grassy Creek version had blue as the dominant color, so I expect that this one will look very different even with repeated fabrics. I added a photo of my Grassy Creek so you could see the difference.

I have 2 possibilities for the aqua. The darker one is a small scrap left over from Grassy Creek (I called one of my substitute colors in GC “sea”) which one of the online fabric companies is selling for the aqua constants in RT. The other is a piece (about 2/3 yard) that I got in a grab bag from Hancock’s (but which is still available).
Attached Thumbnails rhody-trail-fabric-pull-color.jpeg   rhody-trail-fabric-pull-greyscale.jpeg   img_0069-3.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2021, 12:08 PM

Not participating this year but will enjoy seeing your creations! Have fun!
Old 11-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

SuzSLO- that's beautiful!
Old 11-04-2021, 03:54 AM

SuzSLO, love your Grassy Creek!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can join in this year. We have new carpet on order. Imagine getting everything off your floor. Even getting hanging clothes out of the closet. Yikes. It's worse than moving, because I'm not going anywhere and of course, there's too much stuff. Just stuff. They said it would be 12 days to arrive but it's coming from Canada to Florida. If I get it in by the first of the year, I'll feel lucky. Yesterday I boxed up my sewing room. MY oh my, the dust around the baseboard under the sweing table. Frightening. Considering hiring Merry Maids or someone to just come in an dust my house. Today it's my son's room. Have to be ready either way. So I will be observing until I get my sewing room back.