Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-06-2022, 06:58 AM

Woodland and Susie -- more great blocks! Isn't it so cool to see the other blocks, especially in different views of the colors or color combinations entirely??

I also have a modern Bernina 820, which I usually refer to as "Cranky Bernie". Sometimes it is a glorious machine, sometimes makes me want to scream. I had it in the shop twice last year. It's always been a difficult machine and the model as a whole was not popular. I'm it's third owner -- the other two are still Bernina Believers but as part of my moving stuff, am considering other options... still, when it works it works great and I love many things about it. For piecing, I'm happy with my sturdy vintage straight stitch machine. On the other hand, I've grown accustomed to the bells and whistles, like the thread cutter and the knee lift, and the bright lighting and auto-threading...

Next clue tomorrow. Don't know if it will be the reveal or one more -- will just have to wait!
Old 01-06-2022, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom, I've heard of troubles with that Bernina. Bummer! Will you take it with you when you move?
Oops- you addressed that above.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:34 AM

Wonderful blocks, woodland creature. That bright orange is wonderful amidst the more subdued tones.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:38 AM

I'm still on the fence if Bernie is coming with me or not, mostly likely yes. Among the things we discussed as being worth moving, or at least bringing our total of stuff worth moving is the sewing table I got last year. Although I got it as a deal at an auction, to get an adjustable table like that new is closer to 2-3k -- especially a table big/sturdy enough to fit Bernie. I really like having the option of a serpentine stitch or otherwise finish on a sit down domestic machine, even if I had a long arm there are tops I would still finish that way if I had the ability.

My vintage Remington (a Japanese badged machine as we call them) is so easy going, lol and also has a name -- Remy. Can't do much, but can do a glorious straight stitch all day long and I can do the maintenance myself. Remy is coming with us, the little handcrank I bought at an auction this past year will travel -- but probably not the 301 or the cheap Brother I have as portable machines. I also have a vintage pfaff in a cabinet, really nice and I loved it for costuming and garment construction and fancy fabrics, I know that is not going. When my husband moved here, he brought his grandmother's non fancy electric machine in a small stand with him. That will come with us as well. I forget exactly what it is, a Wards maybe? When he arrived 20 years ago I checked it out and it was in working condition back then. It was part of the sounds and sights of his childhood. Currently we have it set up as a lamp stand next to a picture that my grandmother painted

Old 01-06-2022, 10:49 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Well it has happened! The squirrel effect is kicking in!
I am getting very involved in the cut offs. I have been sewing them together in various sizes and shapes pinwheels half square triangles for patches whatever I can figure out. Last night I got a design in my head using a technique I will be teaching in February to our guild. Are any of you doing anything with your cut offs?

Only problem is it is slowing down my progress and I still have about six blocks to make before tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:56 PM

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's blocks! They are coming together so nicely. I love the looks of the mystery and am looking forward to the clue tomorrow! I'm a little behind in the clues because of the holidays, family, and work but I hope to catch up next week. Things will be a little quieter around my house with the holidays over and the kids going back to college this weekend. Maybe then I can post a picture.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:25 PM

Wow, look at everyone go, all the color combos are delicious! I think there will be at least 2 more clues, the neutrals have not really been addressed, it will be interesting to see where it all goes. I do love that she has had block assembly now rather than in one massive final clue. I am impressed with how many have been able to keep pace, keep up the amazing work, its not easy.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:03 PM

I’m hoping for the “aqua” tomorrow, or in my case, green. I also wonder when we’ll be using the flying geese and the hourglasses. So I’m guessing at least another couple of clues.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:32 PM

What could we be doing with all the neutral other than strings? Maybe the second block is a string block (but I think a string clue is usually given earlier?). Allietare used some big pieces of neutral in the border . . .
Old 01-06-2022, 05:33 PM

Still not ready for tomorrow but hoping I can get caught up. Some of the finished but not perfect ones.
Attached Thumbnails 0106221437_resized.jpg