Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-07-2021, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Doesn't have to be from Lowe's, anywhere that carries Valspar will have them. I've gotten the Sherwin Williams ones from the SW store that is much closer than our Lowe's.
thanks for the clarification. The only Valspar dealer near me is Lowe's.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:10 AM

Is so nice to see the interest this brings up, both from those that will watch and those that will dive in! Welcome to all

I'm still finishing up my current project but I have been pulling fabrics for Rhododendron Trail. I'm pretty happy with my pinks and purples. Need to refine yellow a bit. Need to dig out a few more Garnet or maybe just go with one. Sticking with white solid but it looks so stark next to the prints... Am going to wait for the Aqua but I have some contenders/thoughts in mind.

While the hubby was sleeping in yesterday I further committed to my backing, cut one of the pieces along the long length where I will insert the stack of solid blocks. I also cut some strips for the pieced binding I will be making from those solids I pulled. I'm not using a huge amount but I am bound and determined to use at least some solids and reduce that box so the lid fits better!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:15 PM

Here's a picture of the current selections. I am using the backing fabric for my colors instead of Bonnie's but I think they are actually pretty close -- other than the addition of pure purple instead of all pink.

I have enough of either of the Garnet selections to use on their own. Otherwise I need to find a few more, think I would want at least 4-6 if I am going to randomize.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6222.jpg  
Old 11-08-2021, 04:02 PM

Iceblossum: I love your colors! Even your white solid looks good. It may work to just use the 2 Garnet fabrics, if you have enough. You will just have to be a little careful as you put the units together so that they are spread evenly throughout the design.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:41 PM

Iceblossom: Your fabrics are awesome! Love the polka dots.

It is so interesting to see how many different fabrics there are in this world.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:56 AM

Iceblossom- Love your fabric choices and I really like your backing fabric, I am looking forward to seeing everyones progress and color choices. With so much neutral this year I am very curious and I am holding off on deciding my colors until the reveal.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:50 AM

I am thinking about using the full yardage amount for the yellow as a bright solid yellow in the whole quilt. Bright yellow reminds me of a bright sunny day. I am having an issue with the pink though. I don't know what shades to go with.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:56 AM

I just love all of the combination for fabric that each one of you are using in your quilt. I am looking forwards to seeing each one of your quilts when you're finish. Lets make a promise to make it to the finish line with our quilts.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:42 AM

Since I'm shopping my stash for this one, I'm mixing it up a little. I've chosen a blueish-green for the pinks, dark blue for the cranberry, a gold or camel color for the yellow and a mauve for the aqua. I need to starch and iron the fabrics so they'll be ready to go.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:19 AM

Craft, I think one yellow would work well. Probably better than my one garnet...

Stitches, love your changes, I'll want to see pictures if you can manage! Did you see Peaceandjoy's picture using a blue instead of garnet??

I am going to have issues if string piecing the neutrals is required, but I found my leftovers from the Grassy Creek project yesterday and put them where I can find them again just in case. I'm sort of hoping we start by making lots and lots of tiny little triangle combinations of neutral/color. Hooray, I also found a couple of yellows I was specifically wanting (which had been used in my current/just finished project), so my yellows are further refined and now I'm done looking for them.

I am hoping to find a specific piece of fabric but no luck so far, (garnet with sprays of lilacs) and I might have given it away. About a year or so ago I packed a box I named "The 80s called, they want their fabric back" that I sent to a board member for a group that makes various projects, primarily for hospice and nursing care. Think some of those ended in there... is ok, is best that they were sent out and used and not still waiting for me.

The pinks and purples in the picture shows about equal purple/pink -- the mix is actually closer to 2/3rds pink but some of of them you don't see. Starting with the dark fuchsia?? circle print next to the start of the purples, there are several 10" squares. I did a lot of fabric swapping back around Y2K and many of these 10" squares are still with me. The rule is "any project that can use them must use them" and I did indeed have some I could use.

Today I take the now finished quilt to the laundromat, I like to do that for the first washing of big stiff quilts. After that they can typically be stuffed into a large capacity home machine. I always pre-wash before giving the completed top to take away any accumulated animal hair or in case anything bad happens. In my last one, the Grassy Creek project there was a flaw in the backing fabric that I did not see until after washing, one little section where 3-4 threads broke, maybe the size of a pencil end. I appliqued a little heart shaped patch over the break point.

And between now and then, I'm going to start putting together the solids I'm using in the backing and binding. Yesterday at group I started making my "random" combinations. It's funny how we can get entirely different ideas from the same words, what I'm doing with the binding is not what most of the ladies thought, my way uses up more fabric