Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread >

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Begonias – 3 month Boom Group Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 07:32 PM

My best friend is flying in tomorrow. She’s going to make her first quilt using boom blocks from 2018 or 2019. She picked out the focus fabric and red companion fabric to go with it. It’s going to be a medallion quilt. I made a big Hawaiian block for the center.

She’ll start on Wednesday; she gets a crash course on using a sewing machine and sewing a scant 1/4 “. She also gets a crash course on Learning how to use a rotary cutter to cut borders. hopefully she’ll get all the sashing between the boom blocks done and add three plain borders. I’ll help if I think it isn’t going fast enough. We will do a walk and strength training

On Thursday we’ll shop in the morning for backing fabric and extra fabric for the last 16”border. Then Thursday afternoon, we have a quilting bee. Three sewers, and two minions will hopefully get the last 16” border made for this king sized quilt and get the binding cut and ironed. The border is just going to be squares of various sizes. It will have a random look. Four of us have done this exact border before. So I’m hopeful. Then if we have time the five of us pin baste the three layers together. The minions do all the cutting and ironing. Pizza is supplied. Everyone will either have played tennis in the morning or done a long walk.

Friday we pin baste if we didn’t get it done Thursday, recruiting my husband and son to help if needed. Then we go to the exercise class i teach. Kathy gets a quick lesson on using a mid arm machine. She will do some stitch in the ditch with thread that blends. If it’s too hard for her to do on the mid arm, we’ll use a walking foot on a regular machine. We will pick out a busy backing so the quilting won’t show on the back.

Saturday she finishes the stitch in the ditch. Then, I take over and do some fancy FMQ, while Kathy sews the binding strips together. Tennis and walking.

Sunday is the catch-up day for FMQ. We might go watch the minions play tennis in league play on a team I captain. Walking, stretching and strength training for us.

Monday the binding goes on. Maybe we’ll play pickle ball.

Kathy leaves with the quilt and the sewing machine she used to do the piecing. We bought the machine at the thrift store. and rehabbed it and she might even have a new strength and stretch routine to do at home. I get to teach two of my favorite things

Do you think we even have a chance of making this work?

im really looking forward to it. I’ll post pictures.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Wow, MJP, you have some awesome planning skills! Right down to the food! I want to come to one of your boot camp/quilt camps one day! It sounds like so much fun.

I got a block made for GramE tonight. It looks a little puffy because my dadgum iron quit on me, so I couldn't iron it nice and flat. I will before putting it in the bag, tho... with a new iron. GramE, that blue looks dark in the photo, but it's in line with your little swatch both in shade and value. Hope you like it for the (hopefully) Bride-To-Be.
Attached Thumbnails img_1884.jpg  
Old 02-14-2022, 11:39 PM

Here are blocks for lstew2212 (Solitaire), NZquilter (variation of Peaceful Hours), and petthefabric (Merry-Go-Round). Hope you enjoy them
Attached Thumbnails lstew2212.jpg   nzquilter.jpg   petthefabric.jpg  
Old 02-15-2022, 03:32 AM

So many beautiful blocks showing up. Wow! Biblostone, I love my block, thank you!

MJP, you sound like you have an incredibly busy but organized week coming up! It's great that you are making time for physical exercise in between all the quilting. I tend to full short on making exercising a priority.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:31 AM

What a lot of gorgeous blocks! I’m very impressed by all your efforts. ❤️

mjpEncinitas, that’s one ambitious plan. It’ll be interesting to hear if you all are able to pull it off.

Reminder for those in both groups, please double-check that you are posting your block pix to the correct thread. Thank you!

I’m under the weather today and am hoping it’s just a simple cold. Today will be an easy day for me. Time to pull out a books and do a little reading.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:56 AM

Libster all your blocks are lovely. Thanks for my bright cheery block

H4B awesome blocks for Anna and Sewbiz
Old 02-15-2022, 06:09 AM

Pet congratulations on your first boom block, it is striking.

Sewbiz wonderful Star block for Libster and great block for TG’s flying theme and beautiful Star for GramE

MJ love your Churn Dash frames and more pieced blocks. Yeah for you
Old 02-15-2022, 06:09 AM

Here is on for SBG and on for NZquilter.
Attached Thumbnails begonia-sbg2.jpg   begonia-nz.jpg  
Old 02-15-2022, 06:16 AM

There are lots of neat blocks being posted! I started going through and getting ideas, I just got a scrappy quilt bound this AM - so now on to other projects.

This is a Bonnie Hunter design that Janice has posted (not sure if it was group A or B that it was posted to). This will be for the next giveaway at work (we are doing one a month until the end of the school year). I get to enjoy it in my office for a while before the next drawing takes place.

Attached Thumbnails 20220215_080357.jpg  
Old 02-15-2022, 06:17 AM

MJ wow you sound like a well oiled machine. Great planning on your part. Enjoy your time with your friend and hope she goes home with a completed quilt.

Biblestone great blocks they are all so pretty

H4B more lovely blocks, love all the movement .