Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's talk about shipping >

Let's talk about shipping

Let's talk about shipping

Old 03-07-2022, 07:25 PM

We ordered some paper goods from Office Depot back in November, 2021. It said it was coming UPS (which we never have problems with in our area). Well, come to find out UPS farmed it out to a company called TForce Logistics. The tracking kept giving a day it would be delivered to us but each day there was no package. Now it was in the hand of TForce & just about 50 miles from where I live. Sometimes the tracking would say "ran out of time" & then give another date for delivery. No telling how many hours I spent calling Office Depot & TForce to find out what was going on but with no answers. They wouldn't even let me talk to a supervisor. Said he would call me back....never got a call back. After about a month & a half we finally got an email from Office Depot saying that out product was returned to them by the carrier & they were refunding our money. I'm just thankful that OD refunded my money. I'll never do online business with Office Depot again & I told them so & also told TForce what a horrible carrier they were. I know all this was left on deaf ears but I felt better letting them know that I was not a happy customer.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:30 AM

Don't know what it is about having a Indiana address, but it seems like every time I order anything from Missouri or Ohio, the package has to travel all of the mid-west before I get it.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 AM

We live in the country...just a couple miles out of town actually, along a main road that is well traveled. We've had a substitute mail driver leave a box on the ground near the mailbox. Our mailbox is on the OTHER side of the road from us, and we have a long country driveway that we have to travel to get the mail each day. By the time my husband saw the box sitting there anyone could have stopped and taken it. How stupid was that? And anytime we get a package from FedEx it's so dirty from dust that we have to wipe it off before bringing in the house. Really, this is what we pay postage for?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:44 AM

A lot of the time, packages are delivered by the post office who makes that final delivery. Sure, the packages start out with UPS or some other carrier, who then transferers them to the post office for that final step. I received one of those packages recently and the box was only being held together by a bit of packing tape, one end of the box being totally disconnected from the rest. Surprisingly, the product I ordered was still intact. Impossible for me to know which carrier did the damage. However, I shudder when I think about the Post Office being no more as I don't think those private carriers are set up at the moment pick up mail from my house nor to make deliveries to my house. The post office I hear sometimes operates at a loss making those final delivery steps from other carriers who can't be bothered with it.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
this thread reminds me of something that happened back in the 80's. We received a package with a crib quilt/baby bunting type thing in it. No idea where it came from. Return address was a Pack'N'Ship place in NY, in an area where I did not know anyone. I held on to it for a while, thinking someone would contact me about it, wanting to buy something similar or whatever. Never heard anything, finally got rid of it, I think I sold it at a yard sale.
I had a similar thing happen and few years ago. A big box appeared on my porch from Sears Parts and Appliances. Puzzled, I brought it in and opened it. It was a part for a dryer, but not MY dryer. I checked my credit cards. No charges from Sears (or anywhere else) for it. I did the same. Kept it around for a while thinking someone would come looking for it. Nope. Never happened. I finally gave it to Goodwill. I still have no idea what that was about.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:14 AM

There is no pressure on some who decides to just steal your package when it's delivered to them. We had a substitute driver for fedex it delivered a package with my quilt kit in it. the entire package was $249 worth of stuff from quilt in a day.. The driver showed up on my doorstep the next morning after the so called delivery. He said did you get this package and I said no And he just looked at his clipboard and turned around and left with no explanation. They told me to go back to quilt in A-day and get a refund well of course quilt in the day didn't have The quilt kit anymore and wouldn't be getting it till sometime this year. ..maybe. It was on a really good sale I still remain disappointed that someone got this package around Christmas time and decided to keep it.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

This topic couldn't be more timely.
I shipped a white FW last week. I had UPS pack and ship it as I felt they would do a better job than me. Wrong!
It arrived with a damaged case (they are very hard to find as you know) and attachments thrown around inside the case.
There was NO packing inside the case.
The buyer was understandably very upset, probably as much as me.
I had to file a claim. Since I've never dealt with UPS I can't be sure how it will end up but the manager seems very accomodating.
I detest USPS. That's where I do most of my shipping. I have to bomb-proof all goods or else they ruin them. Don't ask me what they do but I've seen boxes practically destroyed, either on my end or someone else. I sent a package to Arizona that they delivered soaking wet. They denied my claim even though I had photos they requested because I didn't bring the packing in for their inspection. So my customer is supposed to pay to ship a wet package back? It was insured but that means nothing.
I'm sick about the FW case. It was in great shape before I sent it. Luckily I have a lot of photos for proof.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Just last week a FedEx driver came to my door with a large package that he said needed to be signed for. I wasn't expecting anything, so I asked him if he was sure about the address. He was on the wrong street. If he hadn't needed a signature, he would have just left the package on my porch.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:37 AM

My story could have had a very expensive ending--for someone. A few years ago, DH ordered a new computer for work--well over $2000. It was stated on the contract, that someone would have to show ID and sign for the item when it was delivered. We live in a small town but who knows of any place where there is no crime and the weather is always dry. If I had not noticed a vehicle pulling out of our driveway, and opened the front door to see who it was, we might not have ever seen that package. "Photo ID and signature" was in bold type on the packing slip too. The customer service at the computer company was very annoyed when we informed them.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I was told when shipping something to anyone to package it securely and then repackage the package.