Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Blackberry disaster >

Blackberry disaster

Blackberry disaster

Old 07-02-2022, 09:45 PM

Default Blackberry disaster

I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person. I知 doubting that tonight. This year I decided to learn how to can food. This week I have conquered rose petal jam, two varieties of blueberry jam, and strawberry-honey butter. Then there were the blackberries. I love blackberry jam, but I知 not fond of picking seeds out of my teeth so I had the great idea of using my brand new kitchen aid attachment to remove the seeds. At first it was wonderful it was spitting the seeds out the end and my blackberries were being crushed and going down into my bowl. I was getting confident I could do this. Then it exploded, literally. The plastic piece that holds it all together had snapped. I was wearing blackberries, they were in my hair, my face, on my backsplash, my countertop, stove, white cupboards, dishwasher, floor, wall, and crock pot. A million towels later. I borrowed a food mill had finished the jelly and cleaned up the mess. Then I looked up. Humans should never look up. I have blackberries on my ceiling.

I may need therapy.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:18 PM

that's funny

I had a bottle of prune juice exploded every where too and it was on the ceiling

now i don't feel so bad
when reading something like this

sorry it happened to you
Old 07-03-2022, 02:09 AM

Oh no! How horrible, I am glad you weren’t hurt that is the main thing! How scary, disheartening and funny all at the same time! I would have been inclined to have a drink before proceeding with the daunting clean up of that!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:42 AM

So sorry for the mess. Sounds like something my DH would have done. As my DGS said, it is always interesting when grandpa cooks
Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 AM

What a mess! After all that work. I can sure see it happening as I have had simular problems.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:34 AM

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. I can still remember when I tried making grape jam, not jelly from grapes a friend gave me. Didn't realize just how much sugar I would need plus I allowed it to overflow on my ceramic top stove so a mess to clean up. But luckily it came out great. Made 18 1/2 pint jars and gave them all away. Never tasted it myself as I'm not a jam eater but everyone was raving about it but thought it was raspberry jam and not grape jam. Oh well, at least it tasted great.

Again, sorry for laughing. I also have a white kitchen and would not want to have to clean the ceiling, if nothing else the "painted" cabinets.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Glad you did not get hurt.

But - I would have been extremely disheartened by having to clean up all that mess.

Amazing how much territory a small amount of liquid can splatter on to.

Are you going to contact the appliance manufacturer? Or was this an "unapproved" use of it?

Sometimes the "old fashioned" strainers still do the job.

I think my mom used a cloth bag to strain some fruit juices through. Don't remember for sure, though. I do remember some kind of bag that was stained pinkish red.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:22 AM

Sorry for the mess, but honestly? You should be a writer!!! This is hilarious to read!
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Wow, blackberry juice is hard to remove. For clothes, the best I have found is pouring hot water from the kettle through the stain. It is best to place the garment over a container in the sink when doing this. My Mom used cheesecloth to strain any seed fruits when making jam and jelly.
My Dad had a huge blackberry harvest and my Mom would freeze a lot of them for winter deserts. She would wash them and lay them out on wax paper covered jelly roll pans and freeze them. Once they were frozen solid, she would put them into freezer bags. She made many a cobbler, breads and muffins with them.
Hopefully when you are enjoying your blackberry jelly this winter, you can have a laugh over the incident.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Oh no! How horrible, I am glad you weren稚 hurt that is the main thing! How scary, disheartening and funny all at the same time! I would have been inclined to have a drink before proceeding with the daunting clean up of that!
I really should have thought of that. A drink would have improved matters.