Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unloved quilts.... >

Unloved quilts....

Unloved quilts....

Old 10-22-2022, 01:25 PM

Default Unloved quilts....

I am little bit sad about what I read lately: some members in different groups told that their quilts weren't used by their children, DIL, SIL, grandkids.... The quilts were put in cupboards, or hidden in the cellar or being in a dog bed...
Or they were found on a garage sale for 10$....
Why don't the people give unloved quilts back to the quilter? Then there is a chance to donate these quilts to people who love them!
I am lucky,all my donated quilts are in use and loved and some of them even had to be renewed!
What is your experience? I hope you have only good ones!
Have a nice day!
Old 10-22-2022, 02:33 PM

I try not to worry too much about how my gift is used by the recipient - I assure them the quilt is meant to be a 'daily driver' not to be put up or away because of fear of ruining it.. I often see my gifted quilts in use at family/friends homes and have seen them in many pictures, too! There are a few that have never been seen since but, again, I try not to worry too much about it. Perhaps some day down the road they will be discovered by someone else who will be amazed by and appreciate my special gifts...
Old 10-22-2022, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I tend to give charity quilts with open hands and heart. The joy I receive in the giving is it’s own reward.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:17 PM

I don't give them to family anymore. My granddtrs leave them here (after living here) or the now ex-wife of my son would tell me to not make them more. She loved everything new. I'm trying to get back to sewing and make what i want to use. then make some smaller ones for charity.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:58 AM

Once my quilts are gifted, they are "released back into the wild". The new owner can use them or not, their choice. However, I do always wash them in the washer and then throw them in the dryer and let the new owner know I did that so they are perfectly fine to use, throw on the floor whatever, and then can be washed by machine. I mainly gift quilts that are meant to be used and at some future date, find their last use to being used as a picnic blanket, dog bed, furniture protector or whatever before finally receiving a proper disposal after being just worn out.
I do occasionally make an art quilt and then I do ask if they want it before gifting it to them as not everyone wants a quilt on their walls no matter the size. Nor do they all have the same taste in design or color.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:24 AM

I've been lucky that my quilt gifts have been appreciated but my slow pace of completion means no one is getting many and that probably helps. I just retired so I will have more finishes and may find that a future recipient won't be as appreciative. I can live with that. I enjoy the journey of creating.

I have a daughter who I felt had enough quilts - she and her DH are fairly minimalist. She accompanied me to a quilt show this week to get out of the house (she's on maternity leave) and saw a quilt she loved. So they will be getting another that I know will be appreciated. Now to figure out how to get my other daughter and two sons to attend a quilt show with me....
Old 10-23-2022, 08:20 AM

when I give anything I give it unconditionally. I'm also thoughtful about who I give things to....
Old 10-23-2022, 08:46 AM

I think it's a good idea to have a dialogue with the intended recipient, just to feel things out, see if they're interested in having a quilt and what their understanding and appreciation of quilts is.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think it's a good idea to have a dialogue with the intended recipient, just to feel things out, see if they're interested in having a quilt and what their understanding and appreciation of quilts is.
Bingo! My quilts go to those who will appreciate and use them and have expressed an interest in them. Most have no clue or appreciation of what goes into what we do.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:32 AM

Several years ago I was asked if a quilt I made and gifted to a person also be buried with the quilt she loved.