Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unloved quilts.... >

Unloved quilts....

Unloved quilts....

Old 10-23-2022, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
when I give anything I give it unconditionally. I'm also thoughtful about who I give things to....
This is my philosophy as well. I know plenty of people who just don't care for quilts or homemade things in general. It seems odd to me, but then again, my loving homemade things probably seems odd to them.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:58 AM

When I gift a quilt to someone, I lightheartedly but also seriously tell them I make quilts to be used. Use it. Then I let them know how to wash the quilt and with a wink and a smile tell them it is not master piece. With a second wink, I always let them know if it wears out, I will make them another. I haven't had to remake any quilts but some children's quilts are faded and shabby because they were well used. Some children are ready for a Big Kid quilt or maybe a graduation quilt, I will see.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:19 AM

I've been donated quilts to give away at work. We've done this by letting people sign up, and normally we get about 60 responses - out of about 200 employees. I work for an organization that has a culture that quilts have a significant meaning.

This demonstrates that a lot of people simply do not have an interest in receiving handmade quilts.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:24 AM

I know people have very different feeling about quilt giving. I want my quilts to make the recipient happy. I made a very good friend a quilt for her birthday. At the time she was over the top excited about it, and has told me multiple times how much she loves it. She also has two dogs that she adores, and often posts pictures on Facebook. Her dogs, and my quilt are always in the pictures. She even captioned one "three things I love about my life". I guess my mission was accomplished!
Old 10-24-2022, 11:03 AM

ummm.... lately, I have not gotten many quilt requests. But....I in the last few weeks have gotten several requests for my home-made dish clothes. Another friend of mine just requested 10 more. Oh, my. Good thing about making them, is that I can pretty much make these sitting in my recliner with my feet up and netflix on. I do have several quilts waiting to be finished and the mystery comes out soon. What to do? What to do?
Old 10-24-2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think it's a good idea to have a dialogue with the intended recipient, just to feel things out, see if they're interested in having a quilt and what their understanding and appreciation of quilts is.
Totally agree with this.
Ive recently finished a pretty ambitious (for me!) quilt top, and will spend the next few weeks quilting it.

Not at all sure what to do with it after that.

As of now, I’m planning to offer it to one of my daughters, but will ask her to tell me in complete honesty if she likes it/wants it/ will use it!

I don’t care if it gets stained or worn out; actually those would be good things!

But I’d be heartbroken if she put it in the back of the closet, or put it in the donation bag when I’m not looking!

I won’t be offended if she tells me upfront she doesn’t like it……I’m sure I’ll think of something to do with it!!
Old 10-24-2022, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

A quilters when we hear of a new baby, wedding, graduation, loss, or illness we immediately think of making a quilt for the situation. That's what we do. It's all we can do in many situations to show how how much we care and want to give a heartfelt gift. It is a letdown to know that the person may not understand the amount of time and love that goes into the gift of a quilt and simply does not see it as so. The main point is that we made and gave a gift of love and we know it.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 AM

I sew by hand, and I'm disabled, so I only make a few quilts a year. The recipients are friends who are eager to have one of my quilts, and are consulted throughout the process. I don't even select fabric until we have talked about their favourite colours. I want my quilts to express the recipient's personality, and it's an honour when I succeed. I was chatting to a friend last night about how it's almost like a very abstract form of portraiture, and they said they were moved by the quilt I'm finishing up for a mutual friend, because it's so exactly her. Joyous citrus bright colours, gently flowing curves, an organic look. Whereas for someone else, what might be just right for them is elegant geometry and more subtle colours.

I mean, I also make them according to what I want, it's a blend of the two. I'll message a friend and say, "hey, how do you feel about red linen? Also I'm kind of obsessed with triangles right now." That friend said nope to red linen, so that fabric is staying in the cupboard for next time, and I'm making him the quilt he wants. Getting into the colours and shapes he requested was an exciting challenge, and I'm so glad he was specific.

Quilts take time to make. Make sure some of that time is spent on making sure the recipient really wants a quilt, and that it's a quilt they'll love. My quilts are loved, and I get messages about them years later.
​​​​
Old 11-23-2022, 04:29 AM

Many years ago we made a quilt for the inlaws anniversary. MIL picked out the colors. A few years later she changed her colors and gave the quilt to my SIL, her daughter. No problem, SIL absolutely loves quilts. Not sure about the other ones we made for people.

Decades ago quilts were all over the home decor magazines, not so anymore. Take a look at some real estate listing photos. Everything is plain and gray, no color or adornment anywhere.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I made each of my kids a quilt. I won't gift another quilt to them unless they ask for it. My daughter has asked for more over the years. For the grands I made each one a quilt for their 2nd birthday. By then the mom has gotten over having the baby stuff be a certain color and theme. My grand love the theme quilts I make for them. Simple panel quilts using their favorite character or interest at the time. Not much time went into these type of quilts. A panel, border and backing. I would never make a nice quilt to give as a gift unless the person wants a quilt.