Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas the pattern for these blocks.. >

Any ideas the pattern for these blocks..

Any ideas the pattern for these blocks..

Old 01-16-2023, 07:39 AM

Default Any ideas the pattern for these blocks..

Hello! I purchased a bag of blocks from Goodwill. I thought there were instructions inside. When I got home, the paper inside was for a shooting star block...which appears to have nothing to do with these blocks. There are 6 of the most intricate blocks and 14 of the large cream-centered square-in-a-square blocks (although this may not mean anything). And along with the other blocks pictured there are a LOT of the smaller size half square triangles still in the bag. Any ideas as to the pattern would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails fabric-kit.jpg  
Old 01-16-2023, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Let's see, you've got 2 sizes of square-in-square blocks, 2 sizes of 4 patches, chevron blocks, half square triangles, and I don't have a name for the bigger block in the center. Looks like the small sq-in-sq and 4 patch blocks were meant to make more of the big blocks in the center. All that's lacking are blue squares with snowballed corners. Did you get any of the fabrics too? Nice find!
Old 01-16-2023, 08:21 AM

Yes, I'm figuring the tons of half square triangles, and maybe the other smaller blocks might be combined somehow..there are only 2 of the chevron, and I could possibly combine the oodles of half-squares into chevron's all though this isn't how the original 2 are made. There are only blocks in the bag... no fabric... there appears to be enough blocks to create a quilt if I can figure out how to put it together.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Let's see, you've got 2 sizes of square-in-square blocks, 2 sizes of 4 patches, chevron blocks, half square triangles, and I don't have a name for the bigger block in the center. Looks like the small sq-in-sq and 4 patch blocks were meant to make more of the big blocks in the center. All that's lacking are blue squares with snowballed corners. Did you get any of the fabrics too? Nice find!
Old 01-16-2023, 03:41 PM

Or, you could just lay them out and play with them until you get a design you like. They're quite pretty!
Old 01-17-2023, 11:51 AM

Yes, I could do that, but hoping for an inkling of a direction

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Or, you could just lay them out and play with them until you get a design you like. They're quite pretty!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:02 PM
Gay

Here is a Shooting Stars pattern and it looks like your blocks fit in perfectly

shooting stars table topper
Old 01-17-2023, 06:44 PM

I thought I had seen something similar, lately, but unable to find it. I'm wondering if it could be using two sizes of the block. I'm thinking that the chevron & 4 patch on the top go with the pieces on the right to make a larger block of very similar design. Since the square in square seem to be a lighter color, could it be that it was meant to be a signature quilt. Although looking at it again, the chevron should be more solid at the bottom.

fabric-kit-edit.jpg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:11 PM

Hmmm... that looks very promising. I'm going to try to lay them out that way. Thank you SOOO much!!

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Here is a Shooting Stars pattern and it looks like your blocks fit in perfectly

shooting stars table topper
Old 01-25-2023, 03:14 PM

It's possible it could be a signature quilt, with that large light colored block. I really appreciate you lending your ideas!! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I thought I had seen something similar, lately, but unable to find it. I'm wondering if it could be using two sizes of the block. I'm thinking that the chevron & 4 patch on the top go with the pieces on the right to make a larger block of very similar design. Since the square in square seem to be a lighter color, could it be that it was meant to be a signature quilt. Although looking at it again, the chevron should be more solid at the bottom.

Attachment 642368

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:36 PM

Check out Jenny Doan's Quatrefoil quilt. This looks the same to me except yours has a square in a square in the center. I don't know how to link it to this, but I'm sure someone else does.