Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new iron.... >

Need a new iron....

Need a new iron....

Old 02-24-2023, 07:06 AM

Default Need a new iron....

I like to have an ironing space next to my sewing machine. I have a wooden tray table with my wool mat on it so I can just turn and press as I'm piecing. I had a travel iron to press with but it died the other day and I had it less then 2 years. I'm sure it wasn't meant to iron as much as I did with it so it didn't last long.

I have other irons I could use but they're full-size and my tray table and mat are small. I've been trying to find a smaller iron but it's almost impossible. I've thought about the Oliso M2Pro Mini Iron but the reviews are mixed. I'd really like a dry iron only but they're hard to find. I don't use steam at all.

If anyone has the Oliso Mini I'd appreciate your opinion. Any other suggestions?? Why are irons so difficult to find that really suit our needs??

I currently have a Rowenta (that leaks...my husband uses it to iron his shirts), a Black & Decker Classic (it drags on fabric and all the steam holes get caught on my fabric), an el cheapo Black & Decker that I really like but it got something on the soleplate (black, sticky stuff) that I can't get off no matter what I use, and an Oliso that I've never cared for.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I bought the big Oliso and so far I like it but to be honest it was really pricey for an iron. I never use steam. Will see how it goes......
Old 02-24-2023, 08:25 AM

I mainly press with my big Rowenta at the ironing board. I went back to a Rowenta after trying several different irons. I now do not put water in it but spray with a mist. Anyway, when I do press by the sewing machine, I use one of those crafting irons which are smaller than travel irons. I have one by Dritz and one by Clover. The Dritz one is a bit bigger and has 4 temperature settings. I works just fine so I can press seams so they will nest nice when constructing a block. When I am further on in the construction, I take my work to my ironing board and do the final pressing there.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried the Mr. Clean magic eraser to get the gunk off your iron? It works wonders.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:20 AM

I use the Steamfast mini. I got it at Walmart, on sale for about ten bucks. You don't need to use steam, and works like a charm. I use it often, and have had it for a few years. Think they are $12-$14 now.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I use the Steamfast mini. I got it at Walmart, on sale for about ten bucks. You don't need to use steam, and works like a charm. I use it often, and have had it for a few years. Think they are $12-$14 now.
This is what I have, too. I really like it! It has tiny steam holes, so they don't get caught. I just use it dry.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:17 PM

I have the Steamfast Mini too from Walmart. Works great!
Old 02-24-2023, 10:03 PM

I have the Steamfast Mini-iron too. So far so good. But I want to find a small Black and Decker - lightweight but gets really hot. It like a 3/4 size - they have them at the time-share we have in Vegas - really want to accidentally pack it in my suitcase to bring it home. (But I would never be able to use it without feeling guilty.). When I iron I keep a USED dryer sheet on my ironing board. I spritz it with water, then run the hot iron over it. It keeps my irons from sticking and I use spray starch a lot. And since I started using the used dryer sheet, there is no build up on any of my irons. I used to use dryer sheets all the time - but now I use wool dryer balls, so I ask my daughters for them. Yes, they think I am nuts but I gave them my dryer sheets that I stopped using.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:04 PM

I got fed up wasting money on expensive irons that don't last longer than a couple of years. Found an $18 Hamilton Beach model at the hardware store and thought why not, it can't be any worse than these expensive name-brand irons. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! It's lasted the longest of all my quilting irons and does not have an auto shutoff feature, which drove me nuts on my other irons.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:56 AM

I have the Rowenta small travel iron and really like it. It is small, fits my hand, and has a really pointy front end. Very helpful when seams have to be pressed open. I do not use water in any iron and have found that they last a lot longer. It does not have auto off so I have to pay attention! I also like it because it has a handle and is easier to grip a with my arthritic fingers. A couple of the small travel irons have to gripped with a whole hand type grip, so I would check that out if you have arthritis in your hands.