Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing fat quarters >

Storing fat quarters

Storing fat quarters

Old 04-28-2023, 04:45 PM

Question Storing fat quarters

My husband put shelving into the closet in my sewing room, so I am now able to organize. How do you organize your fat quarters? I spent this afternoon refolding the fat quarters. I then grouped them by color. What do you do with yours? Do you put Christmas/Halloween/Novelty fabrics in with "colors" or would it be easier to put those fabrics separately? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2023, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I sort Christmas, Halloween, "sets", etc, separately from "colors"

I do suffer from indecision when it comes to fabrics that can be either/or.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:27 PM

I am very much like bearisgray, I keep my holidays in sections, and dominant colors sorted after that. If I have heavy florals with no dominant color those go together in my floral section. And all polka dots go together. I used to have a lot of kids fabrics that were kept together. It really depends on how you look for your fabrics.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:55 AM

I keep my holiday fabric grouped together with the like holiday. Which at the moment is Christmas and Halloween. I keep them in labeled, covered totes on top of my shelving.

For the rest of my fat quarters I keep them together in the fabric line (set) they come in. My fat quarters are all fabric lines, not solids, and when I use them, I use the set. If I have orphan ones, I keep them together in no special order, in a tote on my shelf.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I am very much like bearisgray, I keep my holidays in sections, and dominant colors sorted after that. If I have heavy florals with no dominant color those go together in my floral section. And all polka dots go together. I used to have a lot of kids fabrics that were kept together. It really depends on how you look for your fabrics.
This is pretty much the way I keep mine. I also sort and keep some fabrics that i'm going to use for a specific project together in a box until the project is done. Then I put the remaining fabrics back in with the colors etc.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I have a drawer that they all stand on end in. I keep collections together but the rest are in no particular order. O
Old 04-30-2023, 02:35 AM

I have those stackable drawers like you get at Walmart that my fq's are in by color. Holiday fabrics are in their own tub. One day one fabric might be one color and the next time I look at it I wonder why in the world I thought it was that color!
Old 04-30-2023, 05:48 AM

I keep my FQs in clear plastic ribbon boxes that I bought at Michael's years ago. They stand on end and each box contains their own color. The only holiday fabrics I have are Christmas so they are in their own box. Overflow goes in a sectioned "mailbox" wall hanging that hangs over my cutting/ironing table.

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 04-30-2023 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:56 AM

resized-quilting-room.jpg
Here is the "mail box" wall hanging, prior to buying the Michael's boxes. I think it was advertised at Pottery Barn for CD storage LOL As you can see I have a quilted wall hanging covering it to prevent dust/sunlight damage.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:23 PM

EmiliasNana -- that sewing spot is too clean. Where are your scrap heaps? I think Emilia is in need of her Nana to put her sewing room to use! Actually, I wish I was this neat after picking up from projects. This is beautiful!!