Recycle

Old 05-10-2023, 01:38 AM

Default Recycle

Hi
I know reusing and recycling is very important, I like it too but i use only my items i meant clothes and items . What about working with others ?
What is pieces u will bay if you know its recycle? will you bay clothes , cushions, blankets or what?
Thank you
Old 05-10-2023, 03:12 AM

About the only thing I will buy 'recycled' are hard items. And I usually will only buy them at a yard sale/garage sale. By hard items, I mean maybe a vase, a tool, cute nicnak that hits my fancy, is completely washable and I want to display it, and possibly fabric, but only if it is newer/new and hasn't been washed and doesn't have an odor of smoke/mildrew/pesticide to it.

I won't buy clothes/shoes/purses, dishes to use for food, no books (used books are usually dusty/mildrew issues) anything nasty/dirty looking, anything electric (except will buy woodworking tools if in good condition and worth the price). Anything that has an odor to it (smoke/mildrew/pesticide) or anything that has mold/mildrew on it.

I do recycle/donate, but only items in usuable, good condition.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-10-2023 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Ever think about how many people may have been involved with the "new" garments in a store before someone buys them?

The makers of the fabric - shipment and storage of the fabric -
The makers of the garment - cutters,,sewers, pressers, packagers - shipment and storage of the garments -
When the garments get to the store - how many people have handled it before they are on display -
How many customers have handled - and tried on the garments- before they are purchased -
There may be more opportunities for "others" to handle a garment before it is purchased/worn by the "new" owner.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:36 AM

If it's been gently used (no rips or stains) and can be laundered, I don't hesitate. Soft goods that cannot be laundered (furniture), I stay away from.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:52 AM

I'll buy throw pilows and clothing used at the Thrift Store, DVDs as they're only $.50/ea. Throw pillows as I plan to recover them and they're cheaper than buying a brand new pillow form only to cover it up anyway. Clothing because I'm trying to lose weight so might not be wearing it long but I check for the brand and shape it's in. My sister buys used silk flowers and flower vases from the thrift store too.

I've also bought used power tools if I know the person I'm buying from.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:00 AM

don't click on davids link, it is hidden spam. Reported.

Except for underwear, can't think of anything right off I haven't bought or accepted used.
And nothing much is more dirty than cash money.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I won't buy used small appliances. They always look used. I go to estate sales for furniture. I buy clothes at thrift shops but not pre worn shoes, socks, or underwear.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Ever think about how many people may have been involved with the "new" garments in a store before someone buys them?

The makers of the fabric - shipment and storage of the fabric -
The makers of the garment - cutters,,sewers, pressers, packagers - shipment and storage of the garments -
When the garments get to the store - how many people have handled it before they are on display -
How many customers have handled - and tried on the garments- before they are purchased -
There may be more opportunities for "others" to handle a garment before it is purchased/worn by the "new" owner.
That's pretty much my thought, bear. I buy a lot of my kitchen things are garage/estate sales. I bring them home and run them thru the dishwasher and figure they are as clean as something from a store. I've bought clothes and shoes used also. I wash them or in the case of shoes that aren't washable, I spray them with disinfectant. My husband buys fancy exotic boots on eBay and wears them. We've both done this for years with no problems.

After all I heard a few years back about people getting flesh eating bacteria from new clothes they bought, I wash everything before wearing.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-10-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:40 PM

when I furnished my current apartment (I was starting from scratch), all the furniture was second hand, except for a futon and upholstered chair that I got from my sister, and the mattresses. Also got two rugs from a friend. I wouldn't get any upholstered furniture from a thrift store.
I also wash all clothing that comes into the house, new or used.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:48 AM

Someone mentioned not buying books because of the musty smell. That can be true. I volunteer at our local library book sale every other month. These are recycled books donated by the community members but they are seldom musty, dusty or smokey. Some are less than a year old while others are 50 plus years old. A crew sorts the books by genre and will pull out the damaged or smelly ones. The source of the books means a lot on how they smell. If you are a look lover and shy away from the smelly ones, check out your library for sales. My library makes about $5000 at each sale that goes back to support the purchase of new books for the library. A win-win in so many ways. The most obvious is that folks can purchase books for less than $1 and support the library at the same time.