Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting Up Machine for Frame Use >

Setting Up Machine for Frame Use

Setting Up Machine for Frame Use

Old 08-02-2023, 04:24 PM

Unhappy Setting Up Machine for Frame Use

Good evening all,

I am a memory quilt maker (quite by accident) and I have a large order of quilts to complete this month. I have an older Grace frame I lucked into for $65, and I have the option of using my standard brother machine, an vintage standard machine, or purchasing a machine (up to around 1500USD) for the frame. I've considered the Juki TL2000QI, and the Juki 2010Q machines, but even with those I have the following dilemma:

How on earth are they set up to quilt on a frame??

I've searched for hours now- videos, articles, reviews of machines and frames. But no one gives basic set up for using a more basic machine on a quilt frame. Feed dogs up or down? tension? other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about? I can get a machine on the frame, I know how to get the quilt sandwich on there, but every attempt I've made has led to giant nests of thread. I'm open to possibly buying other accessories if required, but I will make no money on these quilts if I keep sending them to be quilted by the local longarmer (though her work is beautiful!) Please help??

Thank you,

Sadie
Old 08-02-2023, 10:06 PM

There are a couple basics that may help.

First, make sure the machine is threaded correctly -- top and bottom. And that you're using the correct bobbin for your machine.

Always hold the thread tails when you start.

Make sure the quilt sandwich is resting on the throat plate, not too high or too low. Some frames have the "dead bar" that holds them in the correct position, other frames need the height adjusted as the quilt is rolled.

Always stitch from left to right -- when you stitch right to left, the physics causes nesting threads.

You'll need to get comfortable with adjusting your tensions -- top and bottom. What type of Brother machine do you have? If the bobbin is a drop-in bobbin, and the tension screw is sealed with paint, you won't be able to do much with the tension.

Use a quality polyester thread -- poly has a little stretch, that behaves better than cotton for free-motion. I prefer So Fine by Superior Thread. It blends in better than thicker threads, so my mistakes don't show as much. If you're using a thread stand, you need to tape a paper clip to the back of your machine, and feed the thread through it before it goes into the tension, to keep if from popping out of the tension.

Feed dogs can be up or down. Some of us like the feed dogs up because it gives a rhythm to keep speed with.

Those Juki TL Series machines are great! But on a frame, you only get about 6" of space to work on. You might do better without the frame. Just a thought....

You also might do better with a walking foot. I do some of my best quilting with a walking foot.

Loosen the presser foot tension, so you can move the machine freely, but not so loose that the presser foot slams.

Use a larger needle. Most of us use a size 90/14 or 100/16. Make sure it's inserted correctly and pushed all the way up.

There's some basics. I hope something there is useful.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 08-02-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:37 AM

Remember that with a domestic machine on a quilting frame you will only have as much as maybe 5 inches of quilting space because of the take up bar. Your quiting design has to be small enough to fit into that space. I have the Janome 1600P on a small Grace SRll frame....straight stitch only, and am just learning about polyester thread vs cotton. Remember to use a quilting foot and set the foot tension at 0. Play around on scrap muslin for a while to check stitch length, etc. Lightly oil your machine each day before use.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Remember that with a domestic machine on a quilting frame you will only have as much as maybe 5 inches of quilting space because of the take up bar. Your quiting design has to be small enough to fit into that space. I have the Janome 1600P on a small Grace SRll frame....straight stitch only, and am just learning about polyester thread vs cotton. Remember to use a quilting foot and set the foot tension at 0. Play around on scrap muslin for a while to check stitch length, etc. Lightly oil your machine each day before use.
Thank you for the advice! I mostly want a frame because it makes the quilt sandwich part much easier on me- I'm in my mid-30s, but I'm currently 8 months pregnant and I have fibromyalgia, so crawling around on the floor like I usually do to make the sandwich is difficult at this point. I can quilt on my domestic on a table, but hauling the quilt through the machine is difficult as well.

There are a couple basics that may help.
Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful! Covers everything I need to get started. I know the machines I'm looking at are on the small side, but I don't have 4k to invest in a machine at the moment, and if you can refer to my paragraph above, table quilting is difficult for me at the moment. I'm not planning to do anything very complex with the final quilting at this point, I just need enough to keep the sandwich together.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:43 AM

If it is the basting that is the problem which it sounds like it is. You could check around and see if there are any long armers in your area that will baste the quilt for you. It should not be a huge amount, but it would involve them loading the quilt onto the frame to do the basting. Then you could take the basted quilt and do your domestic quilting on it. You could also check out used quilting machines. I got my APQS Lucey on a frame and she has stitch regulation as a demo machine for about $10,000 years ago. She is a basic long arm and I love her. I have had her for about 11 years now and I figure I have gotten my investment just about back in the $ I have saved not sending my quilts out to be quilted. You could also check and see if any shops rent out their machines. You usually have to take a class first and then the rent is by the hour. But this gives you a chance to see if you really like quilting. I did have a domestic machine on a little frame and the four inches left to quilt was not really very fun at the end.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:18 PM

I had a Juki Tl2010Q machine on a Grace Q-Zone Hoop Frame for almost three years before last spring upgrading to the Qnique 15 Pro. Both the Juki Tl2000QI and 2010Q are straight stitch only machines and can be used both on and off a quilt frame. They do have feed dogs and you can adjust the pressure foot tension on them for free motion or regular sewing. It does come with a free motion quilting foot as well. When I was first using mine on the quilt frame with a regular 90/14 needle, I was getting some skipped stitches. So I started using Schmetz Stepp-Nadel Quilting Needles in size 90/14 and no problems afterwards. Depending on the type and weight of thread you use, you may have to adjust the top tension knob. Even though I upgraded to a larger machine for the Q-Zone Hoop Frame, I still have my Juki and use it for general sewing, binding, hanging sleeves, and even cloth dollmaking.
Happy Quilting. Hugs Kathryn