Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23 >

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Virtual quilting weekend 9/8-9/11/23

Old 09-09-2023, 07:10 AM

My hand quilting project for the morning. All about Bears, hand appliquéd.
Attached Thumbnails img_1938.jpeg  
Old 09-09-2023, 09:13 AM

I will try to finish the binding on a baby quilt and start FMQing a wedding quilt. My sewing has been nonexistent this year between a flood in four rooms of my house and having Covid at the same time. One o f my doctors says I have long covid, but I prefer to think otherwise.
The VQW is a good incentive to do a few things. Maybe I can find the fabrics for the pillowcase that needs to be mailed with this baby quilt. It will be for the big brother.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:38 AM

Missed VQW too. Love the pictures. I’ve been cruising without direction. This gives me motivation. Off to my studio.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:59 PM

I’m off to a good start. Took care of my DM and then off to guild. I got all my blocks made and ready to set together. With little sleep last night a nap was next on the agenda. Then off to mow the yard before that slight chance of rain comes in. Maybe I can set those blocks together and get a picture later. Love the bears Thimblebug
Old 09-09-2023, 02:56 PM

I can see the finish line on the Dream Big Poinsettia panel! First time ever on my longarm, ran out of thread on the spool . Using the same green thread for all the leaves, kept checking the bobbin thread but never thought I would use all of a fresh spool! Luckily my long arm senses a problem with the thread stopped and set off an alarm. No harm, no foul. Got the focus blocks and one border cut from the Christmas kit. I even bought the backing when I got the kit, yeah me! Love your bear quilt thimblebug6000.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:50 PM

Cam's gram, I am so looking forward to seeing your poinsettia.😎

Update on today, 20 pillows stencilled. Only two more to paint tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:23 AM

I finished longarming a Christmas panel quilt and it was making me even crazier than usual. I was using Mono-poly in the bobbin, and the first 50-55% of the quilt went fine and dandy, the last half was nothing but thread breaks, backlash in the bobbin, and muttered curse words from me. I ended up transferring the bobbin thread to another bobbin and while it didn't entirely take care of things, I'm done! Never again.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:33 AM

Default thank you for the Border Advice tips!

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Hey Copycat, I prefer to fit my borders to my quilt like you are describing, but I typically miter if I can so I need the extra length on the ends and I cut them a couple inches larger than necessary, just in case. Without the miters especially, cutting both sides the same helps keep the finished quilt more true to measurements.

I find working on my ironing board (especially with a baby quilt) to be good place. I press in place the border right side up and since I am a believer in pinning and open seams, I then press the top in place with the right side down and I pin every leading seam edge and/or every 2" or so. I know many quilters who barely pin at all and who get wonderful results, but that's not me.

I am in a temporary month-to-month rental while we get some things done at the new house. Went into the room with the fabric totes and opened up the the plastic storage drawers but haven't found my portable sewing kit yet. Got a little overwhelmed with everything and backed out. Most of the stuff was packed back in 2022, moved into a pod, out of the pod and into storage, then into a truck and then unloaded. Hopefully by next VQW I'll have my sewing studio unpacked and be able to find things. But first, the upstairs bedroom wood floors need to be refinished and the downstairs sewing room needs a couple of closets built for storing all of those totes and such.
Many thanks for your tried and true border tips. It's been so long since I've cut borders, I needed reassurance.
Good luck getting your sewing studio back together in your new home. Sew Exciting!!!
Old 09-10-2023, 03:49 AM

Sunday morning update on progress: Finished the three Boom blocks and actually laid plans for the next two. It is the planning that takes time not the making of the blocks. I made quite a mess in my sewing room while auditioning colors patterns etc. The result was that I had to spend some time cleaning up and prepping for my Sunday afternoon of finishing up the stars for a baby quilt. Not sure I will get the whole baby quilt top finished because it is absolutely gloriously lovely outside and perfect for a walk. I must take advantage of these fine days knowing in a month or two I will be whining about how cold it is or the rain or the wind.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:15 AM

Good morning!
I plan to keep pinning circle pieces. The end is in sight.
The nice weather is distracting... I tend to take a break at 3:00 and call it pool-o'clock!