My “new” old machines.

Old 10-31-2023, 03:42 AM

Default My “new” old machines.

I have recently gotten bit by the old/antique/vintage machine bug.

In June I acquired (from a cousin) my great grandmother’s Standard treadle machine (a slim). Her decals are almost complete gone, as grandma obviously used the machine a lot. Dh and I got her cleaned up, oiled, and running and I learned how to treadle. I just love her!! I recently finished my Spiderweb quilt using her.

Well, then I was on the hunt for a “pretty” old machine, since my Standard’s decals were worn off. I found a 1910 Singer “red eye” in great shape and brought her home. Again we cleaned her up, and she’s running good. I even redid the bobbin winder as it was quite icky.

After that I decided I’d like a featherweight, and found a Centennial edition.

Then recently while we were browsing an antique store I found a Singer model 20–a “child’s” sewing machine—so I got that! It sews a chain stitch, which I was unfamiliar with. (My Standard isn’t one that can use the chain stitch spider that some of them can) Got that little machine running in minutes, it was in fabulous shape.

it really is quite addicting! I just live the style of the old machines; nothing today comes close, if you ask me!

Old 11-01-2023, 04:47 AM

I agree. IMHO, there is nothing like the vintage/antique machines. I have a 1951 Singer model 201-2 and a 1923 Singer model 66 red eye treadle. I love and use both of them. I would probably be the crazy antique sewing machine lady if I had room in my house for them .

Shari
Old 11-01-2023, 05:04 AM

Sewing machines are addictive. At one time, I had about 23 machines. I gave up my second garage to convert to a mother-in-law suite. So, the machines had to go. Now, I just have a singer 201-2, a 15-91 (the machine I learned to sew on), a 301 and a 401. I generally use the 401 and 301, but plan to learn FMQ on the 15-91.
bkay
Old 11-01-2023, 04:36 PM

Enjoy your old machines. You were lucky to find those vintage machines. I love my Singer Featherweight centennial.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:43 AM

Default closing antique singer sewing machine

How do I close my antique singer machine?
Old 12-13-2023, 10:26 AM

Welcome, nehrke. Are you asking how to lower the machine? If so, it kind of depends what type of cabinet or table it is in. There are links to cabinets and tables that Singers had - you will have to click on the links - https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac..._cabinets.html and then there are thumbnails that you can click on at http://needlebar.org/main/singercabs/

A picture would help. We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:56 AM

Again, a picture would help. There are some sewing machines that came in tables or cabinets that are different from the Singer ones. It is possible that the head got switched out with a different brand. While a lot if times that may have meant some alterations to the table, one might not know if that was done or not.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nehrke View Post
How do I close my antique singer machine?
You would probably get more responses if you started your own thread for this question rather than tacking on to someone else's.