Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes? >

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

Old 11-21-2023, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
What is lefsa?
A quick google search returned that answer. It is a flatbread made with potatoes.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:02 AM

Lefse is a Scandanavian holiday staple that is a very, very thin, soft, flatbread that is made from mashed potatoes and flour and cooked on a griddle in large round sheets. To eat, they are generally cut into wedges and either buttered and served with or without sugar, or used as a roll up with meats.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:37 AM

lefsa is sort of a flat bread made with potatoes and flour. Strange. Traditional fare in some of the Scandinavian countries.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:41 AM

sighhhh! I would love to have just a pizza. I don't like all the holiday foods production! I think it is because I was mom's primary assistant and was not found of baking and cooking and prep was a least 3 days long, longer for Christmas as there was fruitcake, and at least 15 different types of holiday cookies, homemade rolls, and pies, potatoes to peel. ect. And Mom want every holiday at her house. No dishwasher either. So my holidays were basically spent baking, cooking, cleaning, and dishwashing. The burner was when the rest of the family retired to the living room just leaving a few of us to clean up the kitchen. My happy memories of family get togethers was when we just roasted hotdogs over a fire and had some-mores for dessert!

Last edited by sewingpup; 11-21-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
sighhhh! I would love to have just a pizza. So my holidays were basically spent baking, cooking, cleaning, and dishwashing. The burner was when the rest of the family retired to the living room just leaving a few of us to clean up the kitchen. My happy memories of family get togethers was when we just roasted hotdogs over a fire and had some-mores for dessert!
I one-thousand-percent get this! My husband always loved to have huge gatherings (not just holidays) with lots of food that was very time-consuming to produce. I would try to use shortcuts or pre-made stuff, which always made him grumble. It was like he wanted to show off what a good cook I am, but he never put any skin in the game, so to speak. Finally a few years ago, I broke down, told him I was absolutely dreading the holidays, and could we please go out of town or go somewhere else to celebrate. He asked why. I said because I spend all my time in the kitchen, prepping and cooking and cleaning, and I never get to visit with my family and friends. It's NOT FUN. Sob, sniff, cry cry cry. He asked how he could help (FINALLY). I said first of all, when I ask you for help, get up and actually HELP. Second of all, take over some of these cooking chores. If you want to show off our cooking prowess, YOU do some of the cooking! So now he is in charge of the turkey - he smokes it. This leaves me with a lot more time, energy, and space in the kitchen for the other dishes.

I actually have a spreadsheet. I list each item, who is bringing/making it, and if *I'm* making it, where it's being cooked (oven, toaster oven, Instant Pot, or crock pot) and which day I'm cooking it. (Wednesday is pies, cranberry-orange relish, and assembling the green bean casserole. Thursday is mashed taters, gravy, fruit salad, etc.) I also use an app called Paprika to plan the menu and grocery shop. I have all my holiday recipes in the app. It's one click to move them to a menu for that day, another click to look at all the ingredients for each recipe. I go through the kitchen and uncheck the ingredients I already have (salt, flour, etc.), whatever is left gets added to the grocery list in the app. It syncs to my phone, so I have both my grocery list and the menu with me at the store. As I put each item in my cart, the list shrinks, and so does my stress level. I wish I'd been able to do this 30 years ago, I'd have a lot more happy memories of holidays.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:46 AM

First off, I wanted to say I had lots of fun making the Oreo Turkeys as a craft project! They went over well at my sewing group where they were a new thing to the other ladies too. One of them is having Thanksgiving on Friday, but will have her grandkids with her on Thursday and now had an activity for them! She was going to go to the nearby grocery store (Kroger) and pick up the ingredients on her way home. I found that the eyes there in the Betty Crocker sprinkles and frosting section were a better size than the Wilton eyes at Walmart.

Even before this message, hubby and I were considering pizza for tomorrow. Is just the two of us and we've already cooked and eaten two turkeys bought on sale this season.

Hubby follows a ketovore (mostly meat) diet. At his high weight he was around 400 and had been chubby/large most of his life. He's been maintaining around 185 for maybe 5 years now?? I lose track. Anyway, he's been wanting to try a keto version where you use a base of sausage instead of a crust, then add a small amount of sauce and additional toppings and cheese. This sounds like a good time to try it.

I will probably get a Papa Murphy pizza (with crust) today and cook it tomorrow. Papa Murphy does offer a crustless/keto option but it doesn't include the sausage base.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:06 AM

Peckish..I'm going to have to try your app. I keep lists on my computer and phone and they help, but the app sounds better.

I hear ya about hubbies helping. Mine is getting better, but still. I asked him to keep this Tuesday open because we had to move some furniture into the house, buy propane, clean up his mess on the patio and other misc. "man chores." So, yesterday, (Tuesday,) he informed me that he had other plans. Gee...thanks.

I should tell him next time, "Oops! I forgot to cook the turkey. I had other plans. I need to clean up all of your messes." I won't do that though. It just creates too much stress and strife.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
First off, I wanted to say I had lots of fun making the Oreo Turkeys as a craft project! They went over well at my sewing group where they were a new thing to the other ladies too. One of them is having Thanksgiving on Friday, but will have her grandkids with her on Thursday and now had an activity for them! She was going to go to the nearby grocery store (Kroger) and pick up the ingredients on her way home. I found that the eyes there in the Betty Crocker sprinkles and frosting section were a better size than the Wilton eyes at Walmart.
I had my grands over on Sunday, and we made Oreo Turkeys. I had so many ingredients that after I made the tray for the Thanksgiving meal I made a plate for the neighbor on my left... and the neighbor on my right... and the neighbor across the street... and for the grands to take home... I finally threw the rest away. They are a big hit though.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Hubby follows a ketovore (mostly meat) diet. At his high weight he was around 400 and had been chubby/large most of his life. He's been maintaining around 185 for maybe 5 years now?? he's been wanting to try a keto version where you use a base of sausage instead of a crust, then add a small amount of sauce and additional toppings and cheese. This sounds like a good time to try it.
Congrats to your hubby!!! I started following a ketovore diet a couple of months ago, lost 18 pounds immediately, achy sore joints went away, tummy issues went away and I got my waist back. I feel the best I've felt in years. I've made the sausage crust pizza, it was delicious and was a huge hit with the family!
Old 11-22-2023, 03:45 PM

Iceblossom!! I had never heard of a Ketovore pizza! DH has been Keto since 2019, lost 30 lb., and was off all his diabetic meds after 6 months. It has really changed his life. He loves pizza but the cauli crust and the almond/coconut flour crust recipes were definitely falling short. Sausage crust!! Absolutely on our list to try SOON!! Thank you!!