Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes? >

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

Old 11-23-2023, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
We are traditionalists but my daughter in law loves to bake and experiment. So we have our usual regulars every year and then she finds other recipes to add in. Her dessert table is beautiful and delicious. We did spatchcock the turkey last year and will do it again. She got a much bigger pan and a cutting tool. But it was a fun family project and very delicious. And still turkey.
I have never heard of spatchcocking a turkey so I looked it up. I had an 18-pound turkey from the grocery store (.37 per pound). I decided to try it out. It only took about two hours to cook, and it was much easier to serve. Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails spatchcocked-turkey.jpg  
Old 11-23-2023, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I have never heard of spatchcocking a turkey so I looked it up. I had an 18-pound turkey from the grocery store (.37 per pound). I decided to try it out. It only took about two hours to cook, and it was much easier to serve. Thanks for the idea.
glad to know! We are traveling there today (much less crowded airport) and will have delicious meal tomorrow
Old 11-23-2023, 07:53 PM

I took the Fresh Raw Cranberry Relish to our initmate Thanksgiving gathering of 65 today! The pastor's family always invites me over to their celebration. He has nine children and 32 grandchildren. Not only do they have a sitdown dinner for all of their family, but they invite others too who don't have family to celebrate with. The oldest daughter has a house the size of a hotel.

I had the presence of mind to take a picture of the recipe for the Cranberry Relish before I went. It was such a hit that I forwarded the picture to many of the attendees. It's such a refreshing change to the typical canned cranberry sauce.

I also took a tray of the Oreo Turkey Cookies for the wee ones. The adults ended up fighting over them. LOL!
Old 11-24-2023, 06:07 AM

New must haves!:
Corn Brulee
Carrot Souflee
My cousin's DD loves to cook. College age, she earns extra money with decorative cookies. She made the corn dish, and baked a turkey while her dad fried one. There was to be a secret ballot vote for favorite one! She said she injected the drippings back into the bird every 30 minutes. Her's was amazing!
Old 11-25-2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I took the Fresh Raw Cranberry Relish to our initmate Thanksgiving gathering of 65 today! The pastor's family always invites me over to their celebration. He has nine children and 32 grandchildren. Not only do they have a sitdown dinner for all of their family, but they invite others too who don't have family to celebrate with. The oldest daughter has a house the size of a hotel.

I had the presence of mind to take a picture of the recipe for the Cranberry Relish before I went. It was such a hit that I forwarded the picture to many of the attendees. It's such a refreshing change to the typical canned cranberry sauce.

I also took a tray of the Oreo Turkey Cookies for the wee ones. The adults ended up fighting over them. LOL!
OMG! Who has to cook all of that food? Who has to clean it up? That's very nice of them.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:42 AM

So, my dau insisted on cooking the main meal this year at her place. She's in her 30s, so I'd call her a newbee. This was her first Thanksgiving that she ever cooked herself. She also works full time, so it was a huge challenge for her. I love her to death, but I have to admit that I had a little bit of satisfaction in letting her have her hits and misses this year, especially since she had let it slip out that she thinks, "Mom's turkey is always dry." (Humph! It is not!)

I still had to give her some tips and advice. I'm just a mom, after all. Write a list, delegate chores, make a schedule on when things go in and out of the oven and on the table, and above all, don't drink any beer, or wine before the meal is served.

She started out really good. The appetizers were wonderful and all set on on a separate table. Some people arrived a tad late, but that was OK. Us, older ladies, camped out on the patio, drank wine and talked up a storm. We'd go into the house occasionally to offer some help, but no, my dau didn't need any help. In fact, she said that there was nothing to do...so she had a glass of bubbly...and then another. She sat down with us girls and the champagne bottle and joined in the conversation. I asked how her schedule was going and she said, "What schedule?" I overheard her in the kitchen, talking to herself saying, "I don't have any idea how long to cook the Turkey Breast Rolade for."

Things went south from there.

In the end, dinner was 4 hours late, my stuffing had been "warming in the oven" for at least 2 hours and was very brown and dried out. Her turkey was definitely dry...super dry. All of us ladies scrambled to help her get the meal on the table. The table was set with all mis-matched plates because her DH did it, it was a mess. The ladies left right after dinner, at 10PM, so no pies and coffee for them.

Personally, I had a great time! I'm usually the cook, so it was a relief not to have to do it all. I admire my dau for giving it a good shot and the appetizers were really good. The best part was that I got to do what she does every, single year...not help clean up the mess. "Oh gosh hon, it's so late and I'm so tired. I've gotta go. Love you!!! It was wonderful!!!"

It was really fun. I hope that she hosts it next year...Christmas too!

Last edited by tropit; 11-25-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
OMG! Who has to cook all of that food? Who has to clean it up? That's very nice of them.
Everyone brings dishes to share. A Signup Genius app sends an RSVP email and a list of what food is needed for guests to sign up for. The husband cooks two different turkeys and a ham, and the pastor's daughter gives all the wee ones rides on their horses. The older kids play football in their fields and pickelball in their driveway. She leaves it up to the rest of her family to get all the food set out. It's very organized, and the pastor's daughter has five children of her own to help her clean up what the guests didn't the next day. They built their house with the idea of hosting these types of gatherings frequently. It's a warm (but loud) atmosphere of happy adults and children.

Thirty of the cousins live in the immediate area, and the other two are close enough for them to commute for the holidays. Many of the grandchildren are double first cousins since two brothers married two sisters. Those cousin relationships are awesome.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Those occasions are the best because there is something to remember. I feel the same way about weddings. If something didn't go wrong there would be nothing to remember and reminisce about.

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
So, my dau insisted on cooking the main meal this year at her place. She's in her 30s, so I'd call her a newbee. This was her first Thanksgiving that she ever cooked herself. She also works full time, so it was a huge challenge for her. I love her to death, but I have to admit that I had a little bit of satisfaction in letting her have her hits and misses this year, especially since she had let it slip out that she thinks, "Mom's turkey is always dry." (Humph! It is not!)

I still had to give her some tips and advice. I'm just a mom, after all. Write a list, delegate chores, make a schedule on when things go in and out of the oven and on the table, and above all, don't drink any beer, or wine before the meal is served.

She started out really good. The appetizers were wonderful and all set on on a separate table. Some people arrived a tad late, but that was OK. Us, older ladies, camped out on the patio, drank wine and talked up a storm. We'd go into the house occasionally to offer some help, but no, my dau didn't need any help. In fact, she said that there was nothing to do...so she had a glass of bubbly...and then another. She sat down with us girls and the champagne bottle and joined in the conversation. I asked how her schedule was going and she said, "What schedule?" I overheard her in the kitchen, talking to herself saying, "I don't have any idea how long to cook the Turkey Breast Rolade for."

Things went south from there.

In the end, dinner was 4 hours late, my stuffing had been "warming in the oven" for at least 2 hours and was very brown and dried out. Her turkey was definitely dry...super dry. All of us ladies scrambled to help her get the meal on the table. The table was set with all mis-matched plates because her DH did it, it was a mess. The ladies left right after dinner, at 10PM, so no pies and coffee for them.

Personally, I had a great time! I'm usually the cook, so it was a relief not to have to do it all. I admire my dau for giving it a good shot and the appetizers were really good. The best part was that I got to do what she does every, single year...not help clean up the mess. "Oh gosh hon, it's so late and I'm so tired. I've gotta go. Love you!!! It was wonderful!!!"

It was really fun. I hope that she hosts it next year...Christmas too!
Old 11-25-2023, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Loved Tropit's post about her daughter's Thanksgiving!

Much easier to criticize before actually trying to do it oneself!

My daughter and daughter-in-law have taken over hosting for the holidays. Thank you girls!

We do bring stuff.

I brought stuffing, cookies (mostly for #3 son), and made the gravy. I usually make good gravy. Dinner was "supposed" to be oneish - I think it was closer to two-thirtyish. Glad I nibbled something before leaving home!

It was good - she had the table set beautifullly. Still got compliments on her tablecloth - A long length of 54 inch wide cotton that was hemmed on the ends! It has so much pattern, that it does not show if it has been ironed or not. After she mentioned that she just washes it and folds it - I did have to look - a little bit rumpled but I had to look very closely to tell.

Both girls have been doing this for over 15 years now - there are still a few glitches, but nothing major.

And I am so Thankful to them for doing this.

We are all still learning shortcuts and different ways of doing things. Some things are more successful than others!

Old 11-25-2023, 03:13 PM

First- this is a day to give thanks. Daughter and I are truely thankful for the people and their quirks. It’s all very fluid, flexible.

There’s just 4 of us; daughter and hubby, me and hubby. They went to California. They get back midnight today. Dinner is after church tomorrow.

For years we’ve invited all the “orphans “. So included are 2 single childless old ladies and daughter’s next door, retired, childless old couple. There’s no one under 40 y/o-sadly.

Daughter is vegan. Since I don’t like turkey, she said she’ll add salmon. It’ll be a menagerie of stuff. “What did pilgrims eat anyway?” Tradition flew the coop decades ago. The neighbor grows vegetables so she’s bringing fresh from the garden salad. One lady doesn’t cook so she’s bringing brown in the oven rolls. One lady is bring cranberry sauce but couldn’t find a recipe for sugar free, called me. I’ve a can of sauce for back-up. That’s what the guys will eat. I’ll make pumpkin-chia seed pudding for sugar/egg/dairy/gluten free. Also one from-the-recipe-on-the- can, pumpkin pie. Don’t forget the made-from-scratch whipped cream-that’s essential. Hubby hasn’t mentioned his 5 pounds of fudge. Probably has it hidden. Someone’s bringing stuffing-surprise recipe. There’ll be sugar free sweet potatoes + mashed potatoes, daughter will make them vegan and delicious and everyone will be happy. Gravy for daughter’s hubby. Everyone will overeat.

Green bean casserole will be vegan, only the healthy eaters will want it anyway; onion, mushroom, green beans and tomatoes…… fresh vegetables.

There’s the sugar lovers-can’t get enough. Next to the very restricted diet. And everyone is picky.

Daughter is very capable-she’ll pull it off beautifully. The matriarch 30 yrs ago initiated paper plates

It’s a menagerie that works for us.

Clean-up; take home the dish you brought. Daughter doesn’t keep leftovers. The horses get fed at 5;30 so please leave or clean up while they feed. (One year I’d tired of the unkind gossip conversation, so I washed the dishes, alone. I try to avoid that person, or busy myself elsewhere). Since we moved across the nation, it’s easy to avoid her. Glasses and flatware go in dishwasher.

my best holidays were 60-70 years ago with mom’s family, all the cousins. Lots of laughter and fellowship. After mom died and 4 other people of that generation…..father remarried and she didn’t want his children around, 4 marriages in 1 year… We had to start all over with any traditions. Eventually I found a fit with mom’s sister for holidays. Hubby’s mom was welcome but not waiting hour+ for her to show up.

expectations? Be flexible and remember to be thankful. Today is the day I’m living now.

Last edited by petthefabric; 11-25-2023 at 03:21 PM.