Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 01-12-2024, 06:43 AM

I remember way back the discussion about not re sending candies, as some people had sorted through what they received and took out anything they didn't like and sent it to the next person. Sometimes I'm amazed at just how thoughtless people can be - that would be like if I went through my stash and pulled out all fabric I didn't think was up to my standards, then cut it up and gave it all to my quilting friends! But that is why there is the rule not to send something you wouldn't want to receive.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:10 AM

I cut up jelly roll strips for the majority of my squares. From now on I will cut my scraps into 2.5” squares to be prepared for next year.. Being new to this swap go ahead and send me your left over squares from previous years. This sounds like so much fun

Family in Minnesota is also preparing for the frigid cold. Youngest ddis a professional dog walker and her electric socks went out yesterday. Talk about bad timing. Here in Deep South Texas it is going to be below freezing Monday and Tuesday, we have been scrounging around trying to find enough old rugs and blankets to cover my flowering plants.

Macy we absolutely love heading South for the winter. You will love it
Old 01-12-2024, 08:08 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a relatively new quilter and would like to join the swap if it's not too late. WMUTeach, I tried PM-ing you back but it doesn't look like my messages are getting sent. Would you let me know if you received my messages? If it's too late or I don't meet the qualifications, that's okay too, just need to know before cutting up more fabric -- Pam
Old 01-14-2024, 07:28 AM

I am enjoying the repeat candy chit chat. Figuring we get almost 1000 pieces of candy for our birthday, there will be fabric we receive that we have in our stash along with the same squares from different gifters! I love seeing the different patterns and wondering what was made with it. I love receiving fabric that I don't have or never would purchase because the colors will look great in my scrappy quilts.
As for the weather - we had fierce winds yesterday - and being in a motorhome we could feel it! But it passes and today is back to cold with chance of snow. As you let me know what you are getting than I can expect to get it too!

The other night I had to drive my granddaughter to Lacrosse practice. Never been there so just was following GPS. I had to go over three one-way bridges to get there. The return was completely different. Two different roads had washed out from the rains and GPS wasn't aware of it! I was exhausted when we finally got back.

Have a great day. I have three different quilts going at same time using my candies! Jumping between camp and their house.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:10 AM

TG, what an adventure with your GPS as a guide! Looking forward to some photos of progress as the month moves forward. I think I will have a flimsy finish today using 2.5's. I have plans for two others in the queue. But I MUST make two baby quilts by request from my DIL.

Lurkers and fence sitters, I will be closing 2024 Birthday Swap sign-up tomorrow, January 15. Time to have a final number.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:29 PM

WMUTeach, ok, I’m in! I went through my scraps and I can do 20’ish sets without much trouble. I won’t be missing out this year! Sending my PM right now.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:33 PM

OK, Swappers . . . Sound the trumpets and throw the confetti. We have reached 20 for the 2024 Birthday Swap. Whoo Hoo!

1.Gaijin
2.Patrick's Mom
3.Crispy_Frog
4.Have4boys
5.Quossum
6.Travelinggrammma
7.WMUTeach
8.JENNR8R
9.happylab
10.Rebaquilts
11.Logcbin82
12.Brenda W
13.SusieQOH
14.ibex94
15.Heathermom2opmc
16. terriamn
17. Macybaby
18. sewbizgirl
19. Pamelor
20. Janice McC

Welcome back to Janice Mc and a new swapper, Pamelor. Let the party begin!
Old 01-14-2024, 03:53 PM

WMUTeach, was just going through past posts to see what I missed and found this Link. Love the Checkerboard Chain quilt! What a wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing this one.
Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Well my swapping friends, I think this must be the year of the Irish Chain block. Here is another variation from Lori Holt. The two different blocks make an interesting and eye appealing quilt that uses 2.5's. The alternating block of smaller squares are made from 1.5" squares with background borders. The video has lots of chatting about her method of keeping scraps and the second half of the video is how she keeps her quilt journal. You can easily take a peek at the blocks and skip the rest if you so desire.

Checkerboard Chain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCvNn2qXmY
Old 01-14-2024, 05:07 PM

The Checker Board Chain is the next one on my 2.5" squares list, but I need to get two baby quilts done first. It is so hard to not dive right into making the Checker Board Chain.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:10 PM
Power Poster

Oh yay, I was hoping we'd reach 20! Way back in the first years of this swap there were always 30+ people. That was a lot of candy and cards!

Welcome back, Janice! And welcome Pamelor. Let the birthdays begin!