Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this quilt >

How to quilt this quilt

How to quilt this quilt

Old 12-11-2023, 10:05 PM

Unfortunately those lines are beyond me. I'm only a begginer quilter with basic sewing skills and equipment!
Old 12-12-2023, 11:56 AM

Will your machine do a serpentine stitch for you?

I tried that by hand once, thinking how hard can it be, and the results were awful. But a lot of machines have it as an option.

I think you're covered on this either way. If you go with straight stitching and it isn't very straight, you can always consider that a "design element" that has it looking more like a fire.

hugs,
charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 12-12-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:25 PM

I am good at stitch in the ditch!
Old 12-13-2023, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
I am good at stitch in the ditch!
That could work well. Not good at that, myself.

I would still consider using matching thread for the fire and background sections, which would look cool on the back.

hugs, charlotte

Old 12-13-2023, 04:30 PM

Yes that does sound nice. Thank you.
Stitch the ditch is easy as there is a line to follow!
I use a walking foot.
That and my 1/4 inch foot are my favourites for quilting and most things. I just have to remember to change the 1/4 foot for zigzags!

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 12-13-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
Mkotch -
Bkay I've read the monofillament thread and you use polyester thread (not nylon) but there Guterman doesn't make a clear one do they?
Their clear one is color 111. I buy it at Joann's. It handles well on all of my vintage Singer machines. I can't tell the difference between the Gutermann clear and any other thread I use in the way it sews..
bkay

Last edited by bkay; 12-13-2023 at 05:19 PM. Reason: mispelllings
Old 12-13-2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Their clear one is color 111. I buy it at Joann's. It handles well on all of my vintage Singer machines. I can't tell the difference between the Gutermann clear and any other thread I use in the way it sews..
bkay
Thank you.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:45 AM

Given that the quilt depicts a campfire, with sparks rising into the night sky, consider some free motion quilting. It would make sense to quilt flame shapes in the fire piecing (the warm colours), and maybe stars or galaxy shapes in the darker background.

You can sketch it out on a printout of your quilt photo, then practice on quilt sandwiches.

And I agree that quilting with the colours matching what you are quilting on would look great.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

PaddingtonBear ... I am totally intrigued with your work. Well done indeed! Though I am curious as to the technique you used. Looks like a jelly roll quilt, yet to get the placement of the colours, that rules out the traditional jelly roll method. So, am thinking, did you piece each row, set it in place and move onwards? Or? Thanks!

My suggestion is about the thread choice. Look for a variegated in the reds/yellows of the fire. Or maybe even a grey/white.

The thread is fine enough, that the "right" variegation may not show much at all on both the colours and the black background. And could enhance your piecework.

Quilting wise, I am thinking of FMQ'd flames, all over. (And am meaning true FMQing rather than a computer generated repeat.)

For a new quilter, you are off to a great start. Can only imagine how much more oohing and aahing you are going to give us as you proceed! Congratulations!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-14-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:55 PM

Nice quilt! Imo, I’d use a dark gray (almost black) for your background ditch quilting and a yellow for your centre. The gray will blend well imo.