Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting blocks on point >

Setting blocks on point

Setting blocks on point

Old 01-15-2024, 04:07 PM

Default Setting blocks on point

Hello, I just completed 30 each 12.5” quilt blocks. I don’t have extra fabric and would like to set them on point. I have read that the setting triangles and corners require much larger blocks. I’m wondering if I can cut some of the blocks in half for setting triangles and in quarters for the corners. Then cut 1/4” off all sides of the remaining blocks. Would that work?
Thanks for you help.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:22 PM

I can't tell you for sure if that would work. Logically speaking, yes it would. I'm just not sure about the 1/4 for the corners. I don't remember that from the quilt I made.

Usually, however, a solid/blender color is used for those spots, especially if there is no border. If you continue with more of the same blocks, where is a place for your eyes to rest? The idea being that maybe using the same block all the way to the edge makes it too busy?

I've only made one quilt set on point, and in addition to that, I'm not an expert quilter. I'm just giving you my opinion/thoughts.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-15-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:30 PM

There are a few of them on the internet.

Here is a downloadable - free chart of setting on point. It tells you how big you need your side and top and bottom triangles (made from a square) by how big your blocks are. On-point setting guide by Fat Quarter Shop.

Here is another one (a downloadable/printable pdf) free from All People Quilt.com

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-15-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
There are a few of them on the internet.

Here is a downloadable - free chart of setting on point. It tells you how big you need your side and top and bottom triangles (made from a square) by how big your blocks are. On-point setting guide by Fat Quarter Shop.

Here is another one (a downloadable/printable pdf) free from All People Quilt.com
Thanks for the links for setting triangles. I never took the time to figure out the setting triangles and thus have avoided them as much as possible. I especially like that the formula for the calculations is shown on both pages.
Barb
Old 01-15-2024, 06:01 PM

Once you account for squaring up and binding, you usually want at least an inch extra on side triangles and corners. Also cutting the side triangles like that is going to put the long side on the bias, making it a lot stretchier and harder to work with.

There's a good chance you'll loose some points doing it this way. If that really bothers you, then you might want to think about buying some more fabric and having the sides and corners be background.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:07 PM

I found that the corner pieces are too small that way, as you will have lost seam allowance on both edges. The side ones will be a bit small as well with the seam allowance gone on the outside edge, but l found you can fudge that by sewing those with a 3/16 seam and short stitch length plus a narrow zigzag over the narrow seam allowances to keep from fraying.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dswiontek View Post
Hello, I just completed 30 each 12.5” quilt blocks. I don’t have extra fabric and would like to set them on point. I have read that the setting triangles and corners require much larger blocks. I’m wondering if I can cut some of the blocks in half for setting triangles and in quarters for the corners. Then cut 1/4” off all sides of the remaining blocks. Would that work?
Thanks for you help.
Welcome, I'm not a quilter so take this with a grain of salt. I would think it would depend on the block. From my understanding if there are points at the edge of the block (for stars or half square triangles), there would be a quarter of inch from the point to the edge of the fabric. If you trimmed all the blocks 1/4" on all sides the points would be blunted when you seamed it. If it was rectangles or squares it is possible that it would distort the design.

I think that a solid or tone on tone would be better for the setting triangle would be better to keep the original blocks the same dimensions as intended, like bkay said --
Usually, however, a solid/blender color is used for those spots, especially if there is no border. If you continue with more of the same blocks, where is a place for your eyes to rest? The idea being that maybe using the same block all the way to the edge makes it too busy?
Perhaps if you posted a picture you may get some more ideas. Some people have trouble posting pictures so my usual response on how to do that is -
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:31 PM

Default Setting blocks on point

Hello,
Thank you all for your responses. I have included a photo showing four of the blocks. I don’t think the pattern “Mod Stars” would be negatively affected if the blocks are sewn on point. I guess I just don’t understand why the setting and corner pieces are supposed to be so much larger. My thought was to cut some of the blocks in half diagonally or in quarters then trim the remaining blocks to make it work. Thanks again for all your advice and help. I have never participated in a forum before so I appreciate your guidance.
Debbie
Attached Thumbnails img_0908.jpeg  
Old 01-15-2024, 07:32 PM

Such a good suggestion to send a photo.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

The squares used for the side setting triangles do seem large at first glance, but they're designed to avoid bias on the outside edge of the quilt. And - you get 4 setting triangles from each square.

Your blocks are lovely. It seems a shame to cut down all of them just so that you could use some of them for setting triangles, and I'm not sure that it would look right when you're done. Definitely you would have bias edges around the outside of the quilt top, and the piecing in those blocks might look odd.

I do think the blocks would look good set on point, because you would gain nice diagonal lines through the quilt. The pattern was written for a straight setting, and if you stick with that you wouldn't have to deal with setting triangles. Just a thought.