Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stack and whack/hexagon quilt question >

Stack and whack/hexagon quilt question

Stack and whack/hexagon quilt question

Old 05-02-2024, 05:27 AM

Default Stack and whack/hexagon quilt question

Good morning everyone (or afternoon, or evening, whatever fits your geography!).
I have what I would call a mini panel - it's about 22 inches square. I want to do the hexagon style stack and whack. The traditional pattern has you cut triangles from a strip 3 3/4" tall resulting in a hexagon block of 6 inches. I want to make a smaller block as my panel is small and I wouldn't get as many hexies - my dilemma is I don't know what size strip equates to what size finished block...
Is anyone able to help?
I know I could resort to cutting scraps of fabric and sewing to test sizing but if someone has already invented "the wheel" I don't need to ....
I'll listen to any advice!
TYIA
Old 05-02-2024, 05:53 AM

I don't know that this will work with stack and whack as you need to stack repeated designs before doing the cutting. Not seeing what you have to work with, of course, but it sounds like you need a bigger piece of fabric or several panels.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:18 AM

I wonder if this site would help? But, it doesn't show the finished size.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:22 AM

A hexagon is made up of 60 degree triangles, there are several ruler versions on the market. Each one differs a bit on whether it is a snubbed (flat) tip or a pointy one so the strip measurements can vary but typically they have cutting and/or finished measurements on the rulers and/or info on the packaging.

When I do a stack and whack style project, I don't use strips, I make sections of the repeat (so about 12-16"), carefully stack them (I baste the stack) and fussy cut the triangles.

I am also concerned about the size of raw fabric you have and the number of repeats you can get across. You can get (6) 3.5 strips from the 22" size. Not quite sure in my head how many you can get across. The next logical size (for me anyway is to cut (12) strips, which would be about 1.75 cut -- so close to 2" as a finished hex... tiny! you would have almost as much fabric on the back with the seam allowances as on the front.

There are a number of things you can do to increase the size of your stack and whack blocks, either from settings or extra borders.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:12 PM

if all else fails, use scraps to try out things. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2024, 02:41 PM

This Hexigon calculator should help. You'll have to account for seam allowances, but it should give you a general idea of how big a strip you need for a given hexi, or vis a versa.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:02 PM

I probably should have said, I have multiples of the panel. Nothing seems to give the answers I am seeking, so off to the scrap test versions I go...
Old 05-02-2024, 04:53 PM

Try using paper towels. Cut and sew together. Then you could cut the hexie you made to the size you want. Then measure the triangles you are left with in the new hexie
Old 05-02-2024, 05:25 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add the link https://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/
Old 05-03-2024, 02:58 PM

I did scrap hexies today - and got the size I want for the panel I'm using. Thank you everyone.