Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you get the "itch" for quilting? >

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM

I saw the movie Sweet Liberty with Alan Alda and Michael Caine. Alan Alda's girlfriend was quilting in bed in a few scenes and she had to teach Alan's new crush how to quilt for a role in the Revolutionary War movie that was being filmed in their little town. And I thought, how neat, I'd like to do that.
I was talking about this movie at a dinner one night and someone said, well, I could teach you how! So, she started taking me to a BOM which just overwhelmed me. I wasn't even a good sewer to start with. But I've stuck with it!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM

My mom won a $1000 shopping spree at a mall during 1 christmas season! She won gift certificates to 28 stores and 1 was a quilt shop. I took the Beginning Quilting class. I tell DH that free class has cost me a lot of $$$!

My mom is not crafty. I did learn embroidery from my grandma on my dad's side. I've embroidered and cross-stitched for years. I also inherited 5 quilts from that grandma, although she did not quilt. I think her mom made them.

These stories are all great. Some of you have overcome some huge obstacles.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

I bought an embroidery machine from a lady who quilted - she thought I would love quilting. I laughed and said ?No way. that 1/4" seam would kill me!!!" Famous last words. I also love sewing machines, so between buying machines and fabric I'm always broke.
I have made many quilts for my family. My biggest compliment was from a gal who said she dreams of having a Judi quilt!! AHHHH! Who could resist??
Judi
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM

All the stories are amazing, mine not so much. I love to do crafts. Since my babies are grown I've had time to do something - never did much when the kids were growing up. I've crocheted since high school, taught myself how. I love dollies. Then I taught myself cross stitch. The next thing I did was decorate grape wreathes and scrapebooking. Then I became friends with a lady who quilts. I love quilts. My grandmother made me a quilt when I got married, which my daughter claimed. Still have it, but needs lots of work - it was loved to rags. So I decided I could try to make simple blocks, with the help of the internet and this site! And I love it. I love finding patterns I know that I can make, purchasing fabric and actually making it. It's amazing that you buy fabric, cut it into little pieces and make something that's so useable!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM

It is amazing how all are drawn together, isn't it. I love this forum. Everyone is so kind and generous.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM

When I was about eight, I helped my grandmother tie a quilt. Then about forty years later a woman I worked with started quilting and at that time I received two of my grandmother 's quilts when she passed away. I then decided to continue the family tradition of making quilts. At this time I think I am the only person in the extended family of 22 that is quilting. I am so happy to be caring on this family tradition.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM

I also live in Charlotte,NC and had to write after reading your post. I'm sorry to hear of your cancer, and wish you well.

It started with my daughter who wanted to learn how to sew. Signed her up for lessons as well as myself. The shop I went to offered quilting lessons but I hated the thought of cutting the material. The shop eventually closed and I was getting bored w/just sewing. Found another place in Indian Trail and took a class. I fell in love....

I still hate the cutting aspect, but enjoy the piecing and really need to do better on the quilting. Started just over a year ago and have made six quilts. Large and small.

Any suggestions on where you find your fabric?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

When I was in high school, I wanted to sew and managed to talk my mother into getting me a sewing machine (old, used, good enough for someone who wouldn't use it for long). I made all my school clothes on that old machine, much to my mother's surprise. She was so amazed she bought me a better machine when I got pregnant and wanted to make baby clothes and gifts. She couldn't even replace a button and couldn't understand the pleasure I got from creating.

When my daughter was pregnant, she got the idea of our making a baby quilt together. What a mess--her idea of a quarter inch seam was not the same as mine. We ripped as much as we sewed, but we managed to get it done. I said I'd never ever make another quilt.

Then I visited a woman I met on the internet. She was a quilter, and I loved seeing all her beautiful quilts. I decided I needed to quilt since I was bored with other crafts. I haven't stopped since.

Thanks to my late mother who bought me that old machine and who never understood the pleasure I got from making things with my hands, I'm now a quilter.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM

I have sewed for many years, knited and crochet. Then one summer I was home recuperating after surgury and started watching Alex Anderson to TV. My sister-in-law always quilted also and they looked so pretty, but didn't think I had the time. Finally I started out with a very simple quilt with all squares and gave it to a family that adopted a little girl from China. Then had to have more surgury and decided to do a Sun Bonnet Sue, got as many of the square ready so I could do the hand work after my surgury. I got to meet Alex Anderson in Chicago a couple of years ago and met Elenore Burns in Nashville, Tenn. So now I am planning on going to Puducah for the first time. I got bit real good. skowjudy
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM

My grandmother taught me to embroider as a child (6 or 7). We took pillowcases and traced patterns from a coloring book using carbon paper (some of you are probably too young to know what that is) From there I went to all types of embroidery, counted cross stitch, macrame, etc. I did have a sewing machine but have always enjoyed hand sewing of all types. One day at work I saw someone with little small pieces of fabric and found out that she was putting a quilt top together. WOW. I knew I had to learn how to do that. I took a hand quilting class and fell in love with quilting. Let the fabric gathering begin! I bought 5 yards today.