Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew and quilt? >

Where do you sew and quilt?

Where do you sew and quilt?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Since children have left the nest, I have a sewing room in the back of the house, one of the bedrooms has been converted to my sewing room, Hand work I carry to my computer/TV room or to my husbands TV room.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM

I use an area in our unfinished basement. I had to add some strong lighting because there is only one tiny window, but now I have a well-lit area. It is cold in the winter, so once in a while, I bring my machine up to the kitchen table/great room, like this past week. The rest of the basement is filled with a TV, Wii, old couches and chairs, so my teens and their friends have a hang-out. A bonus - the ping pong table is an excellent place to lay out work in progress, and to prep my "sandwich" for quilting. My kids are respectful of my blocks and won't move them without asking!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:59 PM

In my bedroom next to my side of the bed. A very small area. I have things stashed all over it so DH doesn't get too overwhelmed by all of the things.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM

When we first moved into the house, I sewed in the utility room, but when we purchased a large deep freezer, I had to move out to our bedroom. Then moved to the dining area. When the girls moved out, I converted their room to a guest room/sewing room. When our son moved out, we moved the daybed into his room, along with lots of bookshelves, a TV, and now the computer. The sewing room has spilled over into a corner of our bedroom (stacked storage units for fabric). A while back, my DH asked me if I realized how much space I occupied in this house. teeheehee I do handwork in the living room, the computer room, and the sewing room. Cutting is done on the snack bar in the kitchen or on the dining table. Pressing is done in the utiity room(That's how I get my exercise: walking from the sewing room to the utility room.). ;)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Heee! Will I live in a senior housing apt. I only have 3 rooms, You just don't know how much you can get into 3 rooms till its all you got. I quilting in the living room, have the pc set up in my bed room. And more furniture in here then anyone could guess. But my quilting an the pc is all that I do so had to make room in what I have. When I not quilting or working on one it doesn't really look bad at all. But that isn't to much of the time.Right now we have inspection 2 times a mo. gee's try that.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM

we turned one of our three bedrooms into a sewing room. I really do lots of hand piecing and I take it in a tray out into the livingroom so DH doesn't feel neglected in the evening.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I have a sewing room/office that I sew my tops in. When I quilt it all together....I quilt on the kitchen table, more room. When I do the binding....It's on the couch watching TV with the hubby.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Since I am currently living in limbo, two times a month I pack all my quilting and head to the local extension office where we have quilt guild from 9:00 to 4:00 once as month and have one (sometimes two) UFO days. In a couple of months I will be moving to my little homestead. I don't want to sound selfish but it is all mine. I built a 12 x 20 storage building to use as an office/craft workshop, complete with a small kitchen area for making soaps, candles, and herbal products. I am now planning to finish my office/workshop so I can live in it and take my time finishing my cabin. Limbo is not a good place to live!

However, now I have acquired this quilting adiction which comes complete with a "stash", several sewing machines, patterns, threads, and dreams of long arm machines. It is a good thing that plans for flexible, because now I have decided to attach an additional storage building 12 x 28, which will house a bathroom, walk-in closet and open area where I can set up my antique quilting frames until the long arm arrives. If I run out of room, I can always build another storage building. Wherever I finally sew/guilt, there will be windows on at least three walls, there is nothing like natural light and fresh air!

I have always had a sewing room, complete with TV. I had always planned to start sewing again, it just would not have required an acre of land.

P.S. I love this board, as a beginner, I am learning sooo much. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM

I have a back bedroom as a dedicated sewing room. It's very well organized and my hubby even mounted a flat screen TV on the wall for me. Before that I had a great little set up in the family room and to be honest, I wish I was still in the family room. I miss being where the family is, the interaction and interruptions didn't bother me one bit. But running the sewing machine, serger, and/or the embroidery machine was just too noisy for everyone. Sigh.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Everywhere...our dining room has been converted to an art studio and sewing room, but the the quilting frame my husband made me won't fit in there, so I've taken over the family room for that. LOL