Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Question >

Hand Quilting Question

Hand Quilting Question

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM

I have hand quilted for 13 years and just love it. Sure takes time though. I have tried a floor hoop frame but much prefer a hoop that I can just hold in my lap. Never have mastered quilting with no hoop at all. Just cannot do it. I have learned that if I run my thread through a Bounce Dryer Sheet a few times, it will tangle less. I love Guttermans (sp?) handquilting thread. I pick it up at Hancocks or JoAnn's.

Another thing that helps me get better stitches is to not have my quilt in the hoop too tight. Before I tighten the hoop I will push the quilt down in the middle as if a kitten had laid in the center of it then tighten it. That is the only way I can describe it. LOL Not too loose but not too tight. Hope this might help.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:11 PM

I have used a pvc pipe frame for years. I love it. It's easier to take on and off the fabric JoAnns has them one is a large one but they also have a small one.
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I used a hoop to hand quilt my first quilt. I'll never do that again. It cramped my hand something awful. I'm looking at making a pvc pipe frame for my hand quilting.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I used a hoop to hand quilt my first quilt. I'll never do that again. It cramped my hand something awful. I'm looking at making a pvc pipe frame for my hand quilting.
My DH and I did it. It turned out great. I had to drag him to the hardware store, and it took a lot of convincing, but he thought it was pretty cool when finished. The legs are all the same length and I would just put something under the one side to elevate it a bit so it was easier to reach the area I was working on. I quilted my first queen size quilt on it. I also have a small square plastic one that I use for smaller projects. I kept looking at the ones on Ebay and they looked pretty simple. I think we made mine for about $35.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 AM

nooooooooo you'll enjoy it! you have more control over sewing seams. my blocks actually look better than machine sewing. your finished project, make a small one, will be as good as the preparation. it is time consuming setting everything up, but what a reward when done. ok, i use regular sewing thread, i see no problem, yet and i've been at this quilting for 16+yrs. you cut out your pieces to the block, draw the seam line, take a needle that your comfortable with, just like clothes, you have to try on to get the best feel. i like a bit longer and slim needles so i can gather many stitches. oh! if you hand applique i use floss and a straw needle. good luck topper
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 AM

Don't be timited just jump in. Advice is wonderul but think about the history of handquilting. The women on the frontier weren't too up tight abut the size of stitches etc. Imagine you are quilting with one of the women in a covered wagon. Sure you want your first quilt too be nice but don't worry about every thing being perfect ENJOY I love hand quilting.I'm not perfect abut I enjoy he feel . :P :P
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 AM

You have all been so kind to share your advice and thoughts with me! I think I will love doing it and will find it great to relax in front of the fire while I quilt away!
My hubby could make me the wood frame I even found a pattern for $13 for one that collapses for easy storage.
I am going to pick up supplies this weekend hopefully so here I go head first right in to it!
Thank you all again
And oh yeah I sure wish I could be in one of those covered wagons when life was hard work but simpler than the times now and more family oriented!
Hugs
April
Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I tried a hoop, hubby made me a pvc frame, I prefer to hand quilt without either. If you pin baste it well enough you can do this. I prefer it because I can sit anywhere and get comfy and quilt away.
I prefer no hoop too....as long as it pin basted well you won't get ripples
Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by unfinished business
Don't be timited just jump in. Advice is wonderul but think about the history of handquilting. The women on the frontier weren't too up tight abut the size of stitches etc. Imagine you are quilting with one of the women in a covered wagon. Sure you want your first quilt too be nice but don't worry about every thing being perfect ENJOY I love hand quilting.I'm not perfect abut I enjoy he feel . :P :P
This is the most wonderful opinion that I have seen, it gladdens my heart to read it, I think that many quilters forget the origins of quilting and that modern day quilting is often too contrived and not" homespun".
I will no doubt be pulled up for my criticism but ,do often wonder why the craft has become too refined -----in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Hello everyone!
I am hoping someone can help me out. I am going to attempt to hand quilt my first quilt (well not my first quilt but it will be my first attempt at the hand quilting) What thread should I use? Which needles? Which hoop-am I biting off more than I can chew?
Thank you everyone for your input
Hugs
April
My needles are a little on the large size because I feel I can hang onto them better. I would think any that have a good sharp point would do the job. Someone else may have some specifics for you. About thread, if the spool says hand quilting, that should be fine. Here is a picture of my hoop. It is 14 1/2 inches from side to side, with a wing nut to tighten. I love it and has lasted MANY years and still looks like new.

Hope this helps you.
Could I use a hoop for any size quilt?
Thanks You in advance
Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM

I agree with Mayday on this. Rush, rush, rush. I have only met probably two hand quilters in four years in my area. I do know one in Western Australia who encourages me on email, and collects and collates old quilts. Cynthia Harvey Baker, and she hand quilts. I was lucky to meet her and she influenced my love of hand quilting. This thread has been wonderful, and despite my arthritis I am going to try the method shown by the lady using her first finger and thumb. Thankyou to her. I have just got out of bed, and set up my quillt. Wonderful comments from everyone to the new lady hand quilter who began this thread, a joy to read everyone's comments :)