Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing! >

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Life is not perfect so why should our sewing have to be perfect.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Yes, I too am the same way. I like everything to be just right. I will want to take something apart and my husband and friend will tell me that I need to get over it and it wouldn't be special if it wasn't handmade with a flaw or two.
I am trying not to be too picky with my work. But I have only been quilting for little over 3 years now and I'm not the perfectionist yet. I am still learning. Would love one day to enter something in a fair that would be exciting for me.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

I do the very same thing. People will say, "Oh, how pretty,' and I can only think, "Can't you see all those mistakes?"
Maybe we should lighten up. :lol:
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM

I just finished a quilt that someone had ask me to make for them. She had no idea of what she wanted except to have one little applique in the very center and to use all the little tags and appliques from these little outfits on the quilt. I'm scared to death that she won't like it, but everyone who has seen it seems to think it is great etc. Hank thinks that I need special attention or hand holding or something more than others. Now I find that I'm not the only one. Thank you all for answering Connie's question. Maybe us in Indiana are not the only ones, huh? LOL Beth
Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm in KY, Beth. We are neighbors and kindred souls.

Originally Posted by Bethy
I just finished a quilt that someone had ask me to make for them. She had no idea of what she wanted except to have one little applique in the very center and to use all the little tags and appliques from these little outfits on the quilt. I'm scared to death that she won't like it, but everyone who has seen it seems to think it is great etc. Hank thinks that I need special attention or hand holding or something more than others. Now I find that I'm not the only one. Thank you all for answering Connie's question. Maybe us in Indiana are not the only ones, huh? LOL Beth
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 PM

This is such a perfect thread for me to read tonight. My step-daughter is here. After her "initiation" into the world of quilting last w/end, she is very keen to make something more. She says she doesn't want to start with anything tooooo complicated as she knows what a perfectionist she is. I asked her if she knows where the mistakes are on the quilt I made for her. Her response? "Mistakes? I didn't know there were any!!!" There is even one block turned 90° and she hadn't noticed. LOL So....mistakes? sure....and for the most part, you will be the only one to see them. So yes, as a few people have mentioned here...be like the Amish, and accept that we are human, and not perfect. Just enjoy the process, and enjoy the looks on the faces of the recipients of your beautiful quilts.

Patti
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Only God can make things perfect.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 PM

I heard this many years ago and always remember it when I see a flaw in my work. The story goes that in olden days, the nuns who used to make the altar cloths and priests' robes all by hand always had a small mistake in their project because God is the only one who can make things perfect.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Yes, I do, look at things in my sewing projects and see the little things that should have been made better. Yes, to the comment, only God is perfect. I think as women our little hang up began way back in the Garden of Eden. God made man. Then She perfected the design and made woman. We have been trying to live up to that beautiful model ever since.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM

I was more of a perfectionist when I did garment sewing.