Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An adventure in dinning out >

An adventure in dinning out

An adventure in dinning out

Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Last night I had to run errands after work so I decided to eat out which I don’t do too often. I decided that a steak sounded really good so I went to a chain steakhouse. I am not going to name the place but some of you might figure it out. So I am seated and after looking over the menu and almost having a heart attack from the prices I decide what to have. Now I know the policy of this establishment is for the servers to kneel down at eye level to take your order, but this waitress decided to sit in the seat across from me. Honestly I don’t remember inviting her to take a seat and asked to have a chit chat but you know I am getting a bit older so I could have forgotten. This particular waitress is one that talks like her age so every other word is “you know or cool” and is especially perky. So my meal comes and as I am looking at the plate I am wonder how in the world could this really cost $22? The steak is good nothing fabulous but good and I eat my dinner without any further uninvited company.

Now comes the fun part.

One busboy goes by and asks “Do you want a box?” “Yes please”. This gentleman proceeds to forget all about the box and is off somewhere else. The waitress comes by “Do you want a box?” “Yes please” she forgets all about it as well. New busboy comes by “Do you want a box?” Yes please but I have asked two different people and they both forgot.” “I will get you one right now.” He then comes back a few minutes later “Did you get a box?” “No, I said.” So he goes and gets me one just about the same time the waitress finally remembers and brings one as well. So at this point in time I am so done with this place, pay and leave. As I am leaving I run into my waitress again “Oh, you forgot your box do you want me to get it for you?” NOOOOOOO. As I am leaving I don’t want a box I just want to leave and get the hell out of here. Needless to say I don’t think I will be going back.

Would you like a box with that?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Yikes. I'm thinking I wouldn't be going back. When I pay $22.00 for a steak I want to be treated like royalty. And yes, I would like a box with that. :-D
Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

Can we say RUDE?
I did not figure our which steak house it was and it really doesn't matter. I don't appreciate wait persons sitting at my table making idle chatter while taking my order. I really would hate to pay that much and have not one but a few people forget the box. Or anything else I had requested.
You didn't leave a tip did you????

I would contact the corporate office about the service and treatment you received. Did you remember her name? That will help in the report you give.

My DH and I used to be secret shoppers at a steak house and BOY did we let them know when things were not right. We had one girl fired on the spot! She proceeded to tell us her life story and cry at our table!!!!
Others didn't make it 6 months. We traveled the country for 5 years and ate out sometimes 3 times a day for nearly 300 days a year! We have stories.....

Sorry you had to deal with such service at a great expense.
Hope your day is better today.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Yikes. I'm thinking I wouldn't be going back. When I pay $22.00 for a steak I want to be treated like royalty. And yes, I would like a box with that. :-D
I'm with you on that. Okay Suzie give it up. Which steakhouse was it. I didn't figure it out but I could make some good guesses as to the exensive restaurants that are in Spokane.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:42 AM

During this entire time I just kept thinking I must be in a parallel universe.

The sad part it was just some steamed vegs, a potato, and a steak. Now for about $6 at the grocery store you can get a decent steak, for a few cents a potato, and a can of vegs - explain to me then how they can charge $22 for the same meal when they get their supplies at wholesale?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
During this entire time I just kept thinking I must be in a parallel universe.

The sad part it was just some steamed vegs, a potato, and a steak. Now for about $6 at the grocery store you can get a decent steak, for a few cents a potato, and a can of vegs - explain to me then how they can charge $22 for the same meal when they get their supplies at wholesale?
They have to pay their extremely professional workers. Those are hard to come by you know :mrgreen: :XD:
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM

I guess they ask the servers to be at eye level to make it feel more homey? If I'm eating out, I don't want homey - that's why I went out! Sounds to me like they have very young and inexperienced help. I bet the server thought if she sat down she would seem friendlier and you would give her a bigger tip. Guess you know where not to go for dinner!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
Last night I had to run errands after work so I decided to eat out which I don’t do too often. I decided that a steak sounded really good so I went to a chain steakhouse. I am not going to name the place but some of you might figure it out.

Never order a mixed drink from that place. You get all ice and a sip of a mixed drink all for 6.95. And when you order another they sell you a drink from what is left in the same shaker they made the first one out of.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Never order a mixed drink from that place. You get all ice and a sip of a mixed drink all for 6.95. And when you order another they sell you a drink from what is left in the same shaker they made the first one out of.
After I saw the prices I thought the same thing. I did order a pop.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM

What a lousy experience! The great irony, though, is that as I scroll down and read all the replies, the ad at the bottom is for a steakhouse!